advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Electrical -- Can a GFI plug go bad?
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 02, 2015 01:25PM
I work in my garage and have been for over a year now. My whole setup is plugged into a good (not cheap) power strip, but not a APC.

This morning, came out, and it was all off.

Checked the breaker, it was fine, but flipped it on and off anyway. Turned off the power strip unplugged it, and unplugged a couple of devices that I didnt need from it. Checked the GFI had snapped so I reset it.

As soon as I plugged in the power strip to the GFI it snapped off.

Repeated the whole process, but keeps snapping off.

Ideas? Things I should try? Replace the GFI plug?

TIA

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2015 02:33PM by jdc.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Electical -- Can a GFI plug go bad?
Posted by: iaJim
Date: November 02, 2015 01:28PM
GFI breakers go bad after so many trips in my experience.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 02, 2015 01:33PM
So do power strips.
Posted by: davester
Date: November 02, 2015 01:33PM
I assume that you're talking about a GFCI outlet, not a plug. Is that correct? Whether it's a GFCI outlet or the GFCI plug on a tool or power strip, it can go bad. That said, it sounds to me like your power strip has developed a ground fault and the GFCI is just doing its job. Try plugging individual devices into the GFCI. If they work fine then it's probably your power strip that has a fault.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: hal
Date: November 02, 2015 01:39PM
Shut of the breaker, reset the switch, turn the breaker back on - isn't that the way it's supposed to be done?

And yes, anything that can plug a cord into can go bad. I had to replace one a few years ago and it was working just fine for 20 years previously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2015 01:40PM by hal.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 02, 2015 01:49PM
Yes, more frequently than GFCI breakers. I've replaced a few in my time. Usually after a good 10+ years.
Posted by: billb
Date: November 02, 2015 01:53PM
The power strip should be the easier of the two to eliminate from the equation.

GFCI outlets most certainly go bad.
I had three that were installed at the same time in the same weather proof boxes outside all go bad the same Summer.
Would trip when you physically plugged in a plug. You could reset and it would work fine.
Had a circuit breaker version go bad too.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: mstudio
Date: November 02, 2015 01:55PM
Do what Davester said. But, to answer your question, yes they can go bad...but do what Davester said first.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 02, 2015 03:09PM
mstudio
Do what Davester said. But, to answer your question, yes they can go bad...but do what Davester said first.

Yes... what mstudio said, which is to do what Davester said, and that yes, they can go bad.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Re: Electrical -- Can a GFI plug go bad?
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 02, 2015 03:31PM
thanks all.

Had to get work done, so moved inside temporarily.

Reset everything again, unplugged my iMac and then powered it all on. Seems to be working fine without the iMac plugged in...

Might not be a bad idea to get a new power strip -- it is old -- but a tank. Not a cheapy thing. $10 Staples thing.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 02, 2015 03:45PM
It's also possible that the Imac has developed a mild ground 'leak' someplace. Swap out the power cable if you have a spare and see if that helps. That and blowing dust out of the iMac may also help. Even a mild bit of conductive dust between case ground and live will cause a GFI to trip.
Posted by: handyj
Date: November 02, 2015 03:59PM
"Shut of the breaker, reset the switch, turn the breaker back on - isn't that the way it's supposed to be done?"

The reset buttons of newer GFIs (from 2003 on) will purposely not catch hold if they are not receiving power or are not hooked up right.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 148
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020