advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Drat. Google Chrome dropping support for 10.6, 10.7 & 10.8
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: November 16, 2015 10:05AM
Dropping XP is no surprise, but dropping 10.6-10.8 is, IMHO. A few months back we put a OWC SSD in a MBP I bought in 2007 to give it some more life and last a bit longer. Firefox did not run well on it. Safari was so out dated it wasn't useful. So Chrome is the browser to use. And now Google has announced they're dropping support for 10.6 come April of next year [chrome.blogspot.com]

I get dropping XP. It was released in 2001. But 10.6 was released in 2009, and 10.8 in 2012. Dropping a 14-year-old OS, sure. But a six and three year old OS's? Ugh.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Drat. Google Chrome dropping support for 10.6, 10.7 & 10.8
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 16, 2015 10:09AM
No surprise. Dropping support for anything that doesn't get periodic security updates is prudent.
Date: November 16, 2015 10:20AM
Except a big reason people use other browsers is because Apple stops giving security updates to Safari.

Posted by: jdc
Date: November 16, 2015 11:14AM
Your experience with FF is not the norm.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: November 16, 2015 11:30AM
I agtee that it sucks. I think that starting to lobby for continuing versions for at least 10.8 (or at minimum, security updates) is the way to go forward.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 16, 2015 11:32AM
I was expecting this to take another year before 10.6 was cut off.
10.8 is a real surprise!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: November 16, 2015 12:19PM
M A V I C
And now Google has announced they're dropping support for 10.6

Well, there's always Opera, iCab, or OmniWeb.
Posted by: billb
Date: November 16, 2015 12:19PM
I'm not finding much on current OS distribution to see how the numbers correlate.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 16, 2015 12:41PM
We've been saying this for years about OS X and Safari. They mostly come as a package, and supporting Safari as a standalone app isn't a long term strategy. In fact this basically started with Snow Leopard; to get the safest/best version of Safari for 10.6 you had to be using 10.6.8. Pretty soon, you had to be using the latest version of OS X to get the latest Safari.

Packaging security with applications and the OS they run on makes sense for the software developer who produces both. That's why FF doesn't need to worry about it to the same extent. Google is doing like Apple by considering Chrome and Chrome OS together.

So in instances where Chrome is available separately, it's not gonna get the same love.

I don't know what MS is doing. I got an edu copy of Win10 and its default is Edge but discovered a MS Win10 update webpage "works best with" Internet Explorer which lo and behold was also on the Windows install.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 16, 2015 01:34PM
I have some sympathy for the browser makers. supporting old software and hardware can be a big drain on resources. (did you test under the last 5 versions of os x?? etc)=

that said this is still disappointing. i wonder if there's a technical requirement in newer OS's that isn't in the older versions. also, google pretty much has unlimited resources.

perhaps chromium will continue support.

support won't be dropped for another 5 months so there's time for alternatives to pop up.

Posted by: p8712
Date: November 16, 2015 02:35PM
As long as firefox keeps chugging along, I'll survive.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: November 16, 2015 03:17PM
deckeda
We've been saying this for years about OS X and Safari. They mostly come as a package, and supporting Safari as a standalone app isn't a long term strategy. In fact this basically started with Snow Leopard; to get the safest/best version of Safari for 10.6 you had to be using 10.6.8. Pretty soon, you had to be using the latest version of OS X to get the latest Safari.

Safari updates have been this way for a long time. Well before 10.6. I hit the same wall when I wouldn't upgrade past 10.2 and 10.3 came out
Date: November 16, 2015 03:23PM
Article Accelerator
M A V I C
And now Google has announced they're dropping support for 10.6

Well, there's always Opera, iCab, or OmniWeb.

iCab uses the version of WebKit installed on the system so that's a no go. Opera is built on Chromium and will likely go the Chrome route (believe they already dropped support for 10.6 in fact). Omniweb is laughably old at this point. There are newer test builds out now, but I think they require 10.10 and newer.

Essentially there is only Firefox left.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: November 16, 2015 05:26PM
I like 10.6, and if I had a choice, it would still be my primary, but the reality is, it's dead.

Google is following Apple's playbook in only supporting the three latest versions of OS X.

Firefox is still a possibility. But Mozilla doesn't seem to have any direction, other than trying to chase the mass of users who are already happy with other browsers and in the process alienate their own core users and developers, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop support either. At least there may be enough community interest to continue a fork like TenFourFox.

XP is an anomaly that MS would have put to bed long ago if the sheer inertia and a revolt from the user base wasn't involved.
Date: November 16, 2015 07:17PM
deckeda
Google is doing like Apple by considering Chrome and Chrome OS together.

So in instances where Chrome is available separately, it's not gonna get the same love.

The most recent version of Chrome works with 10.9, 10.10, and 10.11. Chrome also supports Windows 7, 8, 9, and 10. Chrome is getting pretty of love on non Chrome OS and non Android devices. Because it won't support versions of Mac OS that the vendor, Apple, has long abandoned is not proof to the contrary.

Before the newest version of Safari (9.x.x), Apple actually had a different version for 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, and 10.7 (and on back to the beginning of time). I'm going to give Apple credit for rolling up a big update and supporting 10.9-10.11. That is not common with Safari releases. There might be some cross over when the new OS launches, but traditionally the updates on Safari for the new OS quickly outpace older versions of OS X. Apple is doing better than ever with Safari at this moment.

It's weird, no one is really neglecting the platform in this particular use case, but there sure is a lot of hand wringing. Sure, it will stink when Firefox gives up as well, but I would simply switch to Linux on the same hardware.

Third parties should fill the gap and support older versions of OS X, but third parties get roped into Apple's ecosystem and such support becomes much harder. You can't even legally virtualize Snow Leopard to continue future development.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2015 07:28PM by silvarios.
Posted by: chopper
Date: November 16, 2015 08:53PM
When 10.6 is no longer feasible for my workflow, I may just go back to Windows.
Date: November 16, 2015 09:16PM
Any comments on TenFourFox?

Edit: I just Googled TenFourFox, I'm assuming it's just for PPC & G5 Macs. Correct?

So basically you're SOL with using a "useable" browser 10.6, .7 & .8. Correct?

D & C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2015 09:56PM by Dazed & Confused (Mobile).
Date: November 16, 2015 09:38PM
To me it's just sad that a perfectly good piece of hardware - that outperforms many Chromebooks - is going to end up losing its usefulness because of lack of software support. Sure I could probably find some flavor of linux to run on it, but my wife and kid use this thing.

Looking at the stats of Windows 10... it can run on this. It would be sad to have to run Windows on a MacBook Pro, but at least then it would continue to be useful*.

*Performance TBD

Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 16, 2015 10:04PM
Dazed & Confused (Mobile)

D & C

My Pismo's browser of choice!

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: p8712
Date: November 16, 2015 10:24PM

Regular firefox still works.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 16, 2015 11:27PM
It's also worth noting that chrome is pretty much cutting edge. Even if you're a couple of versions behind you're still far ahead of IE anything.

Date: November 16, 2015 11:44PM
Dazed & Confused (Mobile)

Edit: I just Googled TenFourFox, I'm assuming it's just for PPC & G5 Macs. Correct?

D & C

Firefox for Intel Macs running 10.6-10.8. TenFourFox is awesome for what it is, which is the best browser for PowerPC 10.4/10.5. Doesn't help your use case, but I have a long lasting respect and admiration for Kaiser Cameron and the work he pours into making those old Macs useful.
Date: November 16, 2015 11:46PM
chopper
When 10.6 is no longer feasible for my workflow, I may just go back to Windows.

Windows 7 is pretty good, Windows 8.1 was okay, but 10 has been the best fit thus far. For my needs anyway. I still prefer Linux for most things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2015 11:48PM by silvarios.
Posted by: D. Lawson
Date: November 17, 2015 06:34AM
silvarios
Windows 7 is pretty good, Windows 8.1 was okay, but 10 has been the best fit thus far.

We have been steadily upgrading (in place) everyone to 10 at work, and I'm shocked at how smooth the transition has been. The largest concern from a usability standpoint (which started with the tiles in 8, but is more pronounced in 10 since everything can be in "desktop mode" now) is that the "system preferences" are split between Settings and the old Control Panel.
Date: November 17, 2015 12:06PM
Yeah, the split settings thing weird me out. I suppose a few revisions down the line and Microsoft can figure out how to clean this stuff out?
Date: November 17, 2015 01:43PM
I use Firefox on Windows 10, Android, and OS X. I have also been using Vivaldi on Windows 10 as well, but Firefox is still my go to. I'm really not into Chrome.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 134
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020