Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Death Wish Coffee
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: December 01, 2015 01:46PM
"The World's Strongest Coffee"

I'm not a coffee drinker, but with a name like Death Wish Coffee, and a picture of skull & crossbones on the package would be two large red flags for me to NOT drink it! smiley-shocked003

How about you? Would you try/have you tried it?

[www.deathwishcoffee.com]

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Death Wish Coffee
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: December 01, 2015 01:47PM
I like good coffee. I'd try the stuff to see if its a one timer or two timer coffee.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: 3d
Date: December 01, 2015 01:52PM
Strong=Dark Roast
Starbucks=Burnt Roast
Death=Ash Roast
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: December 01, 2015 01:54PM
Oh, i see 3d. Just use it like snuff, eh?

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: December 01, 2015 01:55PM
No. Life's too short to waste on kitsch products.
Posted by: 3d
Date: December 01, 2015 02:00PM
I'd like to try it, but I'm not buying a pound of it. How about if 10 of us MRF's buys a bag and split it?
Who wants to be in charge of Paypal/shipping details?
Person in charge gets to keep the cool bag smiling smiley coffee smiley
Posted by: Pam
Date: December 01, 2015 02:14PM
I bought decaf robusta espresso beans years ago. Holy crap! I couldn't imagine what full tilt robusta would be like.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: December 01, 2015 02:51PM
Posted by: blooz
Date: December 01, 2015 02:59PM
I'd try it, but before i would invest in a pound.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: December 01, 2015 03:15PM
It really sounds like BS.

Besides, if you want more caffeine, just drink more coffee! Extend your enjoyment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2015 03:16PM by Uncle Wig.
Posted by: DP
Date: December 01, 2015 03:18PM
What Uncle Wig says!

Back to music...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Date: December 01, 2015 03:31PM
At a previous job a coworker commented that the coffee I made "could kill a small child". I didn't even consider it strong...

D & C
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 01, 2015 04:17PM
I can make coffee 10x that strong. Just dump some caffeine powder in my regular coffee, and it would cost about a third as much.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: richorlin
Date: December 01, 2015 08:08PM
Starbucks Sumatra is pretty robust. I wonder how much stronger this stuff is. At $20/lb I'll just double the amount of Sumatra I use and get the same buzz. And since my son works at Starbucks, MY coffee is free!

richorlin
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 01, 2015 08:52PM
Marketing.

It is what it is.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 01, 2015 09:13PM
richorlin
Starbucks Sumatra is pretty robust. I wonder how much stronger this stuff is. At $20/lb I'll just double the amount of Sumatra I use and get the same buzz. And since my son works at Starbucks, MY coffee is free!

define what you mean by 'robust.' the flavor of the roast is what most people are referring to when they use this word but it does not correlate to caffeine content in the way most people assume. the darker the roast the lesser the caffeine content. Blonde is Starbucks lightest roast; a cup of blonde Veranda has a higher caffeine content than a cup of Sumatra though the Veranda has a considerably blander flavor. hasn't your son explained this to you?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2015 09:17PM by graylocks.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 01, 2015 09:30PM
.....Bulletproof......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 01, 2015 09:44PM
It's organic...RollingEyesSmiley5
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: December 01, 2015 09:50PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I can make coffee 10x that strong. Just dump some caffeine powder in my regular coffee, and it would cost about a third as much.
If you ever can get ahold of some, try about 40mg-80mg of modafinil along with good strong coffee. Clearest mind and focus formula I've ever found. I do it about twice a month when I need to write a project or training script I have struggled with.

M1 2020 Mac mini (16G 2T) Ventura 13.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs M1 2020 13" MBAir (256G 8G)
Date: December 01, 2015 09:53PM
graylocks
richorlin

define what you mean by 'robust.' the flavor of the roast is what most people are referring to when they use this word but it does not correlate to caffeine content in the way most people assume. the darker the roast the lesser the caffeine content. Blonde is Starbucks lightest roast; a cup of blonde Veranda has a higher caffeine content than a cup of Sumatra though the Veranda has a considerably blander flavor. hasn't your son explained this to you?

Sorry, but you're wrong. Caffeine is extremely stable during the roasting process and doesn't get burnt off in roasting.
If you went bean for bean with a light roast versus a dark roast, each would have relatively the same level of caffeine.

And to muddy the waters seen more (LOL), depending on how you measure out your coffee, the caffeine may differ. Since, during roasting, a dark roast may lose up to 95% of it's water content, the darker roast has more beans by volume. So, if you measure by scoops, a light roast WOULD have more caffeine by volume. But, if you measure by weight, the darker roast would have more caffeine by volume.

...and yeah, my son explained all this to me...

richorlin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2015 10:02PM by richorlin.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: December 01, 2015 10:04PM
richorlin
Caffeine is extremely stable during the roasting process and doesn't get burnt off in roasting.
If you went bean for bean with a light roast versus a dark roast, each would have relatively the same level of caffeine.

And to muddy the waters seen more (LOL), depending on how you measure out your coffee, the caffeine may differ. Since, during roasting, a dark roast may lose up to 95% of it's water content, the darker roast has more beans by volume. So, if you measure by scoops, a light roast WOULD have more caffeine by volume. But, if you measure by weight, the darker roast would have more caffeine by volume.

A common misconception (one I used to think, too) about dark roasts having different amounts of caffeine than unroasted. Here's a good article on it:

[driftaway.coffee]

M1 2020 Mac mini (16G 2T) Ventura 13.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs M1 2020 13" MBAir (256G 8G)
Date: December 01, 2015 11:39PM
tuqqer
richorlin
Caffeine is extremely stable during the roasting process and doesn't get burnt off in roasting.

A common misconception (one I used to think, too) about dark roasts having different amounts of caffeine than unroasted. Here's a good article on it:

[driftaway.coffee]

never said it was burnt off. chemically I don't know or care where it goes. look at the nutrition info at Starbucks.com for the caffeine content of a blonde and a bold roast. in our smaller sizes it's not much really but at 20oz it start to be numerically noticeable. oh and Starbucks does account for the volume/water content differences in the brewing process so I would assume the nutrition analysis does also.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2015 11:42PM by graylocks.
Date: December 02, 2015 05:15AM
graylocks
tuqqer
richorlin

[driftaway.coffee]

never said it was burnt off. chemically I don't know or care where it goes. look at the nutrition info at Starbucks.com for the caffeine content of a blonde and a bold roast. in our smaller sizes it's not much really but at 20oz it start to be numerically noticeable. oh and Starbucks does account for the volume/water content differences in the brewing process so I would assume the nutrition analysis does also.

Naturally, if you use the same volume of coffee beans to make one cup, the blonde WILL have more caffeine per cup than the dark roast. However, you are not comparing apple to apples in your statement, because bean to bean (or apple to apple), both roasts have the same caffeine content.
By the way, Starbucks doesn't list the caffeine content of their coffee and we're not talking about brewing process here either.

richorlin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2015 05:19AM by richorlin.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: December 02, 2015 07:38AM
If you just want caffeine, take a caffeine pill (remember No Doze?).

I like coffee. Have settled on Peets' Sumatra blend. About the tastiest I've found.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: December 02, 2015 09:57AM
richorlin
Starbucks doesn't list the caffeine content of their coffee and we're not talking about brewing process here either.

the info isn't on retail bags but is available at Starbucks.com.

Nutrition information - Blonde
short (8oz) 180mg
venti (20oz) 360mg (this number is an error as it's also the content listed for the 16oz grande size. to be mathematically consistent with the content listed on the other sizes it should be 450mg. still, we'll go with 360mg)

Nutrition Information - Dark Roast
short (8oz) 130mg
venti (20oz) 340mg

bean to bean the caffeine content difference is negligible but start making those larger cuppas and it begins to add up. i referenced the nutrition analysis and brewing content because when we prepare brewed coffee we actually use a different scoop to measure the blonde roast to compensate the volume difference between blonde and darker roasts; the analysis probably accounts for this also so it is more of an apples to apples comparison.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2015 10:00AM by graylocks.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: December 02, 2015 10:48AM
richorlin
Naturally, if you use the same volume of coffee beans to make one cup, the blonde WILL have more caffeine per cup than the dark roast.

I never weigh coffee. I usually don't measure it at all. Just dump what I think is enough in the basket.
Date: December 02, 2015 02:51PM
Enough already. It's just effing coffee, not the theory of relativity.
We can all agree that we all like strong, highly caffeinated coffee; at least the members who have contributed to this thread.

Move along now, there's nothing left here to see...

richorlin
Posted by: morlock
Date: December 02, 2015 03:36PM
Death Wish is my favorite Black Blood of the Earth

[www.funraniumlabs.com]
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: December 02, 2015 05:56PM

No relation, I assume.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: Black
Date: December 03, 2015 12:36AM
graylocks
richorlin
Starbucks doesn't list the caffeine content of their coffee and we're not talking about brewing process here either.

the info isn't on retail bags but is available at Starbucks.com.

Nutrition information - Blonde
short (8oz) 180mg
venti (20oz) 360mg (this number is an error as it's also the content listed for the 16oz grande size. to be mathematically consistent with the content listed on the other sizes it should be 450mg. still, we'll go with 360mg)

Nutrition Information - Dark Roast
short (8oz) 130mg
venti (20oz) 340mg

bean to bean the caffeine content difference is negligible but start making those larger cuppas and it begins to add up. i referenced the nutrition analysis and brewing content because when we prepare brewed coffee we actually use a different scoop to measure the blonde roast to compensate the volume difference between blonde and darker roasts; the analysis probably accounts for this also so it is more of an apples to apples comparison.

I've read that what Starbucks calls a Blonde roast infuriates coffee purists because it's actually a mild roast and not a real Blonde. Still my favorite of the Starbuck roasts to buy for home though (the non flavored one-- Veranda?)
Can you explain what you mean by "volume difference?" I don't quite get it.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: December 03, 2015 08:49AM
Black
I've read that what Starbucks calls a Blonde roast infuriates coffee purists because it's actually a mild roast and not a real Blonde. Still my favorite of the Starbuck roasts to buy for home though (the non flavored one-- Veranda?)
Can you explain what you mean by "volume difference?" I don't quite get it.

next time you're in Starbucks compare a 1 pound bag of Veranda to a 1 pound bag of French Roast. you'll see the veranda bag looks smaller and not quite full while the French Roast will stand taller and be practically busting at the seems. assuming what Richolin said about the moisture loss in roasting is correct, it takes more physical beans of a dark roast than a blonde to make 1 pound in weight. in store we use scoops (volume not weight method) to measure for brewed coffee. Starbucks gave us a special, smaller scoop for blonde when it was introduced in order to maintain the corporate desired coffee to water ratio.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020