advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What NAS do we like these days?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 04, 2015 11:00AM
I'm thinking of a 2-drive Synology box or similar, for storing iTunes and Photos libraries. An external USB drive would likely be used to back that up, regardless of whatever cloning is available within the NAS.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What NAS do we like these days?
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 04, 2015 11:12AM
Does it have to be NAS?

Just a simple USB drive hooked to one machine with file sharing would work the same way?

I did this for years with my studio, although it was wired. FW800 RAID box on one iMac shared to 4 others over gigabit. Accessing the drive was always fast and did not effect the host machine.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: DP
Date: December 04, 2015 11:15AM
What's NAS?

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Bixby
Date: December 04, 2015 11:37AM
Photo library generally doesn't play nice via networked drives. There are ways to make it work, but I don't advise it.

iTunes does play nice.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 04, 2015 11:56AM
DP
What's NAS?

Networked Attached Storage...
Basically, a hard drive that is accessible directly via the network.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: decay
Date: December 04, 2015 12:00PM
Synology

---
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 04, 2015 12:05PM
I like an NAS over a drive attached to computer for the always-on aspect for my multi-computer household, rather than to depend on a computer also being used by people for people things. Plus it adds more options for back-up schemes. I have two drives on a 2-bay q-nap that mirror each other such that if one fails I can swap in another without lost data.

I run a Synology at work and a Q-NAP at home. So far, the Synology on a windows network has been bulletproof. My Q-Nap has been good on my Mac network at home, except once in a while individual computers will loose track of the Q-NAP and I have to refresh things. But I don't blame Q-NAP, I blame Apple. In general I have found Apple's file sharing to be temperamental, Q-Nap or no.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 04, 2015 12:09PM
why are you interested in a NAS? imo, you need heavy data needs / uptime needs to justify it especially considering the size of large drives.

even if you get a NAS you should have another copy of the data.

Posted by: john dough
Date: December 04, 2015 12:31PM
decay
Synology

+ 1 for Synology. I have 6 set up with clients and they are all working fantastic (knocks on wood).
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: December 04, 2015 05:15PM
+1 for QNAP. Good Mac & customer support is a + too.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: December 04, 2015 06:52PM
Not happy with Synology lately. May be good for a solo, but I've had major headaches resolving permissions problems with small workgroups hitting them.

Best thing IMHO is just set up a Mac file server with at least a mirrored RAID (LaCie makes decent 2-drive boxes for mirrored RAIDs) and a backup for it (because RAID enclosure power supplies and bridge-boards still represent single points of failure) or set up primary and backup hardware RAID 5 boxes.

If you don't have a PC in the house, disable SMB file-sharing on the server and stick to AFP.

...And don't forget about the UPS (battery backup) for your server or NAS.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2015 06:54PM by Onamuji.
Date: December 05, 2015 08:23AM
Bixby
Photo library generally doesn't play nice via networked drives. There are ways to make it work, but I don't advise it. ...

Oh, didn't know that. Images are about 70GB, the Mac has most of its 500GB free so I wouldn't have to put it elsewhere. The earlier servers never had enough space for my images.

jdc
Does it have to be NAS?

Just a simple USB drive hooked to one machine with file sharing would work the same way?

I did this for years with my studio, although it was wired. FW800 RAID box on one iMac shared to 4 others over gigabit. Accessing the drive was always fast and did not effect the host machine.

mattkime
why are you interested in a NAS? imo, you need heavy data needs / uptime needs to justify it especially considering the size of large drives.

even if you get a NAS you should have another copy of the data.

The current server only has USB 2 (original aluminum Macbook) and so any transfer that's more than 1 external drive (its backup drive) will swamp the bus. Previous server had FW800 also. Next one will surely have USB3. And so on ... the storage architecture doesn't change as often as the Macs (for me, because I can't afford to setup and retain "an ideal" Mac that perfectly satisfies whatever enclosures I settle on) ... network storage (I think) should more cleanly obviate that need, as well as allow the server to once again become portable if desired.

I've made do with a cheap setup: 2 drives, 2 basic enclosures. Moving to NAS would up the expenditure quite a bit, so I'm not 100% committed to this yet. There would still be a Mac involved for syncing iPhones and sharing iTunes content (AppleTV especially, since that won't work with the limited "iTunes sharing" NAS boxes serve up.)
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 05, 2015 09:37AM
A 2 bay prosumer Synology is not going to break the bank. No need to stick with a ghetto arrangement if you have the data and the bucks. Here's a pretty good deal:

[www.amazon.com]
Date: December 05, 2015 09:55AM
Thanks. I also see there a "Beyond Cloud" version that still looks like the same model but configured with a Seagate partnership, for a little less: [www.amazon.com]

Doesn't seem to be much consensus what the other one comes with, WD Green or Red maybe?
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: December 05, 2015 10:29AM
deckeda
Doesn't seem to be much consensus what the other one comes with, WD Green or Red maybe?

WD Green doesn't RAID well.

VERY slow and not particularly useful as a boot drive or for shared data.

Would not recommend for any but the most strictly-defined energy and heat use-cases.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020