advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
[Jet.com] If your CEO stops you in the hallway and asks you if you're happy, what are you going to say?
Posted by: Black
Date: December 27, 2015 02:04PM
[www.nytimes.com]

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2015 02:06PM by Black.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: [Jet.com] If your CEO stops you in the hallway and asks you if you're happy, what are you going to say?
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 27, 2015 02:20PM

“I’m constantly asking people at Jet if they’re happy,” he said. “It’s really important for me to know that they love working here and think this is the best place they’ve ever worked.”

Jet supplies its employees with typical start-up perks like free food (weekly lunches, plus Red Bull in the refrigerator and protein powder in the kitchen cabinet), four months of paid parental leave, unlimited vacation and an ownership stake that could one day be worth a lot. But it also has some decidedly less common policies, like standardized, no-negotiation pay packages and worker-friendly employment agreements. Employees can see, every day, how the business is doing.

“Transparency” is a big word with Mr. Lore. So is “fairness.” Make people feel good, he says, and they will do their best. Trust them and they will reward you.

Sign me up for the free food and unlimited vacation, how much will they pay me for this? If the CEO stops by my house to ask how I'm doing, I'll tell him that I'm happy, but he better be delivering the free food.
Re: [Jet.com] If your CEO stops you in the hallway and asks you if you're happy, what are you going to say?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 27, 2015 04:04PM
Blue Origins, Jeff Bezos' space company HAD unlimited sick time. ONE PERSON ruined it for everyone.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: December 27, 2015 04:35PM
So I read the article and saw nothing really new or novel.
I did discover Glassdoor by reading the article and really thinking of logging in to it.
Ah, new thread time....

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Black
Date: December 27, 2015 09:41PM
Racer X
Blue Origins, Jeff Bezos' space company HAD unlimited sick time. ONE PERSON ruined it for everyone.

Got a source? I've scoured the web and the only reference is your comment here.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 27, 2015 10:43PM
I dunno ... I ran into him in the hall a month ago and he asked how I was doing and I said " there are good days and bad days , but I'm in heavy development today so I'm having a lot of fun !"

He laughed and clapped me on the shoulder.

And yes ... He knows my name and what I do - we had a 1 hour turned into 3 hour working session when he started as COO a few years ago. Sharp guy , understood the benefits of good business analytics.
Posted by: blooz
Date: December 27, 2015 10:55PM
"Oh flock yes."

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 28, 2015 02:15AM
Black
Racer X

My drinking buddy since high school worked at Blue for over 2 years as their senior thermal analyst. The person at fault was taking roughly 1.25 days a week as sick time. And no chronic health condition as a mitigating reason. My step-son has Crohn's, so I do understand chronic issues. She has none, or never told HR if she did/does.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 28, 2015 06:20AM
Racer X
Black
Racer X

My drinking buddy since high school worked at Blue for over 2 years as their senior thermal analyst. The person at fault was taking roughly 1.25 days a week as sick time. And no chronic health condition as a mitigating reason. My step-son has Crohn's, so I do understand chronic issues. She has none, or never told HR if she did/does.

Chronic underperformance of an accomplished professional is a formal diagnosis all on its own. Could be due to a lot of things like mental health and/or drug abuse. If any company allows a single employee's experience change the entire culture of their company, they have poor HR experts on staff.

I've had to deal with these indivoduals over the years. You just document the situation until they trigger a performance issue, then it's no longer a health issue. If she was able to her her work done in 3.5 days a week, then she was not being given sufficiently challenging work IMHO.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 28, 2015 07:06AM
My old company had unlimited sick days when I started there, but it was regularly abused, mainly by one department, so the policy was changed for everyone to 6 days a year.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 28, 2015 08:27AM
Racer X
Black
Racer X

You need to get this posted at huffingtonposten as arianna only allows god's gospel truth.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 28, 2015 10:41AM
Racer X
Black
Racer X

Unless your drinking buddy was in HR, they would have no idea whether or not this person had chronic health issues. And if they were in HR, talking about it to you was a major breach of a number of privacy laws and regulations. So I have to take your report as suspect at best.

Others have given valid responses on how the situation should have been handled, the use of it as an excuse - not reason - doesn't pass a sniff test.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 58
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020