advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Speaking of LED's... (any affordable 3 way LED's?)
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 07, 2016 11:31PM
We have a few well placed lamps w/ 3-way switches that I'd love to be able to use at least couple more of as 3-way lights again... meaning $18+ for 3-way LED bulbs is not being considered as economically efficient/prudent. We've been using a couple of corded dimmer switches strategically for awhile (using 100w LED's), but the other locations are not well suited for add'l dimmers, so real 3-way bulbs would be preferable. Anybody know of any single digit pricing out there for 100W eqiv or higher? Or is this something that we need to keep waiting for the pricing to come down? Or #2, as per previous LED thread below, is there someplace that has subsidized pricing that includes 3-way LED's? Here in the LA area they're haggling over getting an NFL team back, not providing cheap LED bulbs. Thanks.
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Speaking of LED's... (any affordable 3 way LED's?)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 08, 2016 12:50AM
I have wondered for years about the differences between the circuitry of 3-way vs dimmable LED bulbs.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 08, 2016 01:57AM
I re-wired two floor lamps for my Mom about 9 years ago to use CFL's. They used 100-200-300W Mogul base bulbs. I put in four regular sockets, one on the first click wire, and three on the second and third click wire (three 21 W CFL's were half the price of two 32 W bulbs).

There aren't any reasonably priced 3-way LED's over 120 W yet, so I would recommend doing something similar if you want to use LED's.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: billb
Date: January 08, 2016 07:14AM
Racer X
I have wondered for years about the differences between the circuitry of 3-way vs dimmable LED bulbs.

The only three way LED I've seen were 20/40/60 and 30/70/100 an the latter was around 70 bucks. I tried a 20/40/60. All it is is two lamps - 20 on, 40 on or both on. It was pretty lame you could hardly tell the difference when the 20 and 40 were both on and just the 40 was on. Not worth much more than a novelty nite lite.
If you look at the base of a three way it has an extra ring for a contact - neg, pos, pos. Two lamps. With incandescent - two filaments. #1 on, #2 on, or both on. Three way.

I've tried CFL three way and some have burned up (50/100/both 150) or the ones that have lasted are 30/70/both and not really bright enough to be useful.
I've changed the base in some of the lamps here to single filament bases as we have circuits that turn upper outlets on when you walk in the room where there is no light in the ceiling, and put LED in them.

I've given up on dimmers and three ways - they were always on high anyway.
(except for watching a movie - and there is that worthless 20/40/60 for that.)

Posted by: vicrock
Date: January 08, 2016 10:59AM
I've been looking as well - my current is a "reader" 3-way - 60 - 150 -250. I do needlework and need the higher wattages

I bought lots before the "ban" but would love to find an LED replacement.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 08, 2016 11:38AM
vicrock
I've been looking as well - my current is a "reader" 3-way - 60 - 150 -250. I do needlework and need the higher wattages

your math does not check about, usually (always?) X/Y/Z where Z=X+Y

I wonder if instead of 60/150/250 you have a 100/150/250
Posted by: davester
Date: January 08, 2016 12:24PM
The Cree three way is 30w/60w/100w equivalent and costs $22 unsubsidized.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2016 12:25PM by davester.
Date: January 08, 2016 12:56PM
space-time
vicrock

your math does not check about, usually (always?) X/Y/Z where Z=X+Y

I wonder if instead of 60/150/250 you have a 100/150/250

digital logic doesn't always add up
1+2 isn't necessarily limited to "both"

Luv all the one and two star reviews on the Cree crap

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2016 01:14PM by billb.
Posted by: FormerlySaleenl
Date: January 08, 2016 07:03PM
I've been trying out this one. Seems fine so far but paid $20 for one. Hasn't failed but hoping it won't since other Philips have been solid performers. Needless to say, the other 3-way lamp still has an incandescent for comparison. And, yes, I have a problem with wanting to compare and evaluate LED lighting. I admit it.

Philips 453340 3 Way Bulb LED Light Bulb 5W/9W/20W (40W/60W/100W) Soft White, Non-Dimmable [www.amazon.com]
Date: January 09, 2016 05:41AM
How is the (100W) ?
Is it discernibly brighter than the (60W ) ?
( not by watching the bulb as it gets clicked from 60 to 100 but by watching the brightness against a paper nearby )

'Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.'
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 150
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020