advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do I really need Norton Security Online?
Posted by: tlh828
Date: January 16, 2016 03:23PM
My internet email server put a hold on my email account. When I called, i was told that my email account had been compromised and that I needed to change my password. (I believe them as I had noticed a barrage of questionable emails before the hold).
The password , which held up for over 20 years, has now been changed. They strongly suggested that I sign up for Norton Security Online.
As a Mac user, always, do I really need this or a similar program?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do I really need Norton Security Online?
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 16, 2016 03:36PM
My vote is... NO.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: January 16, 2016 03:45PM
No.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 16, 2016 04:13PM
Hell no.

By "internet email server" you mean your "host" like godaddy or bluehost -- or do you mean you ISP, like ATT or Comcast?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: January 16, 2016 04:24PM
No. Any Symantec product for Mac short of their enterprise software is still garbage that will make your life miserable.

But it's not wrong to consider antivirus software at this point. Not to protect against viruses per se (because there are none in the wild on Macs), but against malware that you might accidentally download. I find malware/adware on client-Macs pretty much every weekday now.

It's hard to recommend a particular antivirus product for Mac because in many cases they are barely distinguishable from the stuff they're supposed to protect from. Developers don't spend a lot of time and money maintaining Mac AV products because it's still a small market.

...Symantec grabs too much CPU, has annoying popups and god forbid you set it to scan external volumes... Sophos will persistently cause huge lags in loading web pages shortly after login or wake-from-sleep and when present with LogMeIn the problem is exacerbated; McAfee eats a lot of CPU for what amounts to the worst hit-record I've seen in AV software and has the most annoying subscription-renewals; BitDefender used to be pretty good, but has serious performance problems these days and they'll spam you to death over renewals; Kasperky causes hangs on boot; Webroot grabs 100% of your CPU during scans and will cause kernel panics if you don't reboot frequently; Avast updates come bundled with adware browser-plugins.

Anything that quarantines suspicious files by default is immediately disqualified from service as those damnable quarantines often break email apps and other stuff over false-positives in attachments.

Of them, the only one I'd use right now is Avast since I can easily disable or remove the cr@pware they try to monetize it with and turn off the quarantine.

Posted by: josntme
Date: January 16, 2016 04:24PM
No.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: January 16, 2016 06:00PM
tlh828
My internet email server put a hold on my email account. When I called, i was told that my email account had been compromised and that I needed to change my password. (I believe them as I had noticed a barrage of questionable emails before the hold).
The password , which held up for over 20 years, has now been changed. They strongly suggested that I sign up for Norton Security Online.
As a Mac user, always, do I really need this or a similar program?

NO NO NO NO. Norton or any other security software would not have prevented this event. Hackers guessed/stole your password when you used public wifi or something like that. You might have clicked on a link the purported to be your email provider and they got your password that way. Security software has no protection against that.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: January 16, 2016 06:08PM
modelamac
NO NO NO NO. Norton or any other security software would not have prevented this event. Hackers guessed/stole your password when you used public wifi or something like that. You might have clicked on a link the purported to be your email provider and they got your password that way. Security software has no protection against that.

But note that on a Windows PC and an unpatched Android phone you're pwned without it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2016 06:09PM by Onamuji.
Posted by: tlh828
Date: January 16, 2016 06:20PM
Mail server was Earthlink.

I think the consensus is NO.

Thanks for all the replies.
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 16, 2016 06:53PM
NO
Posted by: mstudio
Date: January 16, 2016 07:29PM
tlh828
I think the consensus is NO

Wait, not so fast, I didn't give my opinion yet.

ummm...
NO.
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 16, 2016 08:48PM
tlh828
Mail server was Earthlink.

I think the consensus is NO.

Thanks for all the replies.

My EarthLink email was hacked a few years ago. EarthLink seems to suck at security and spam filtering.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 16, 2016 10:43PM
if you are still using a .earthlink account, now is the time to stop.

switch to gmail, tell everyone, but keep your old earthlink forwarding to gmail.

in no time the transition will be over and done....

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020