advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Major crane collapse in New York City: 1 dead, several injured
Posted by: DP
Date: February 05, 2016 10:27AM
A massive construction crane killed at least one person when it collapsed in New York City amid falling snow Friday morning.

The crane reportedly toppled over at around 8:30 a.m. at Worth St. and West Broadway in the lower Manhattan neighborhood of Tribeca. It crushed a row of parked cars and slammed against buildings — strewing shattered bricks and debris into the street.

[www.yahoo.com]

I post this because, while I understand the physics, I still would never climb up in one to operate it. I just don't get how more don't fall over more often...

Back to music...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Major crane collapse in New York City: 1 dead, several injured
Posted by: spacescape
Date: February 05, 2016 10:37AM
YIKES!!!
Posted by: 3d
Date: February 05, 2016 10:49AM
That's a big ass crane. I'm surprised more people weren't killed/injured.

"Last year, the company was involved in a similar incident when an industrial air conditioner fell nearly 30 stories to the ground while being transported by another one of its cranes."
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 05, 2016 10:51AM
They operate as a primarily 'static' load structure. While they do move, they don't move quickly because they're constantly adjusting loads to counteract the forces they're handling. If something fails catastrophically then bad things happen...quickly.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 05, 2016 10:56AM
ztirffritz
They operate as a primarily 'static' load structure. While they do move, they don't move quickly because they're constantly adjusting loads to counteract the forces they're handling. If something fails catastrophically then bad things happen...quickly.

Wonder if snow and ice contributed to it becoming off balance.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 05, 2016 10:59AM
I really hate walking anywhere near these sites. I regularly pass by one of the sites where a crane came down a couple of years ago, causing a number of deaths and destroying a really nice older building. There is a big yuppie hutch going up where the older building stood, of course with cranes in use.

Amazing that someone actually caught this latest collapse as it happened.
Date: February 05, 2016 11:14AM
C(-)ris
ztirffritz

Wonder if snow and ice contributed to it becoming off balance.

Through the night and this morning we got a few inches of wet, heavy snow. It clings to everything. That crane would've been loaded with the stuff. Much more dangerous than the 20 inches of powder last week. Powder doesn't cling like the wet stuff.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 05, 2016 11:20AM
3d,

The snow is still coming down. Definitely much more annoying than the powdery flakes from the blizzard. Worse, it's covering traffic lights, making it far more difficult to differentiate the colors.

I saw all too many vehicles go through red lights as a result. 'course, one was due to snow covering the traffic light. The other times were because the morons behind the wheel couldn't be bothered with the traffic light. He didn't even slow down at all.

But, this kind of stuff on a crane that is difficult enough to work with or on under beautiful skies? Yags! Glad I don't live or work around these areas.

Robert
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: February 05, 2016 11:47AM
if it wasn't official yet then it is now..NYC has a definite construction crane problem..what is going on there?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 05, 2016 11:49AM
Robert M
3d,

The snow is still coming down. Definitely much more annoying than the powdery flakes from the blizzard. Worse, it's covering traffic lights, making it far more difficult to differentiate the colors.

I saw all too many vehicles go through red lights as a result. 'course, one was due to snow covering the traffic light. The other times were because the morons behind the wheel couldn't be bothered with the traffic light. He didn't even slow down at all.

But, this kind of stuff on a crane that is difficult enough to work with or on under beautiful skies? Yags! Glad I don't live or work around these areas.

Robert

Unintended consequences of shifting from incandescent bulbs to LED - not enough heat to melt off the snow!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: February 05, 2016 12:14PM
Kraniac
if it wasn't official yet then it is now..NYC has a definite construction crane problem..what is going on there?

The 1-percenters delved too greedily and too high. You know what they awoke in the darkness of Lower Manhattan... shadow and cranes. — Saruman
Posted by: DP
Date: February 05, 2016 12:44PM
3d
Kraniac

The 1-percenters delved too greedily and too high. You know what they awoke in the darkness of Lower Manhattan... shadow and cranes. — Saruman

LOL!

Back to music...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 05, 2016 12:55PM
imo, i suspect wind. i went over a bridge this morning. it was really blowing up there - 20-30 mph. in lower manhattan like that either

a) you're lucky and protected

b) the buildings form a wind tunnel and its even worse.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 05, 2016 01:04PM
fj,

This assumes the lights have LEDs in them. Around here, I wouldn't necessarily make that assumption even if it's in a nicer part of Long Island, NY.

Robert
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 05, 2016 01:29PM
oops.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 05, 2016 02:15PM
Video of the collapse: [www.yahoo.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2016 02:27PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 05, 2016 03:55PM
That looked like a mobile crane.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 05, 2016 04:24PM
ztirffritz

From Ombligo's video, it appears to be.

I've worked with crane operators dozens of times working with the roof crews at "The Buick". IMO, this accident shouldn't have happened. With all the safety requirements for crane operations, someone had to have skipped some procedures.

Also, snow and ice wouldn't have been a factor, IMO. Heck, these things are made to operate in all kinds of foul weather. Thunderstorms excluded! (We ALWAYS shut the job down when lightning started heading our way).

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 05, 2016 04:25PM
ztirffritz

I assumed it was, since it was more or less in the middle of the street.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: hal
Date: February 05, 2016 04:27PM
ztirffritz

I can't believe that we haven't moved passed beeping out swearing. Would anyone find all of those beeps less annoying than bad words?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 05, 2016 04:31PM
ztirffritz

Yes, a big crawler. A very, very big crawler. That lacked sufficient counterweight. Somebody on the job screwed up big time. Not some mechanical defect or issue unless the counterweight broke loose - or the street caved in which would be an engineering screw up.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 05, 2016 04:36PM
[www.nydailynews.com]
The crane tumbled out of control as workers tried to move the heavy machinery into a secure position because winds topped 20 mph, he said.
"This incident occurred literally as they were lowering the crane to secure it," de Blasio said.

An inspector with the Department of Buildings had been on the site Thursday because workers were extending the crane -- which has a boom length of 565 feet, the mayor told reporters.
DOB reviewed the work and approved it, he said. The crane was installed at 60 Hudson St. on Jan. 30.

"No work was done this morning because the crew made the decision to bring the crane down to the secure position," the mayor said.
Posted by: bruceko
Date: February 05, 2016 06:48PM
yes a very big crawler.
In Seattle our idiot tv news station KIro is trying to scare everyone.
they say this is EXACTLY like all the cranes in downtown Seattle.
they are all tower cranes, nothing in common with the crawler.
Currently there are about 30 tower cranes in Seattle
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 05, 2016 06:55PM
A good friend of mine worked about a block from there some years ago. I'm glad she's since moved on.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020