advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
luggage recommendations?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 02, 2016 12:58PM
my wife mentioned that she'd like a new carry on size roller bag. i did some poking around and had a hard time determining what was quality yet well priced. last time i bought luggage, if you could call it that, was a duffel bag at a sporting goods store.

...one thing i'm not crazy about is the space it will take up when not in use. but i doubt anything can be done about that.

any advice?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: luggage recommendations?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 02, 2016 01:07PM
I bought an eBag Mother Lode for my carry on. It works great so far.

Posted by: 3d
Date: March 02, 2016 01:16PM
I would check out LLBean. Their 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is quite extraordinary.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 02, 2016 01:20PM
Costco's Kirkland brand luggage is quite nice and reasonably priced.

It is what it is.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 02, 2016 01:27PM
I like the Victorinox brand. I feel like they are made really well and they certainly stand behind their warranty. They are expensive though so I only bought when they were on sale. [www1.macys.com]

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: billb
Date: March 02, 2016 01:39PM
Latest sets are Timberland.
Carry on is airline overhead approved size
Several pounds lighter than:
Before that were Tommy Bahama and they were junk.
Looked nice but fell apart.
Before that were hard shells (Samsonite, iirc) and the big suitcase hardware ripped apart from the shell. Found my bag wrapped in packing tape on the baggage carousel, luckily on the way home.

Spinners are nice if you travel mostly newer airports that are nice and flat, but once you start having to traverse stairs, curbs, steep ramps, cobblestones and large expansion joints you appreciate two bigger wheels even though you have to practice the ancient art of tip and tote.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 02, 2016 01:57PM
N-OS X-tasy!

Unfortunately, Kirkland luggage is a thing of the past, at least for the time being. No more lifetime guaranteed luggage from Costco. We found that out last year when we brought in a failed bag. It was a great deal while it lasted, especially for flight attendant wife. Like davemchine, Victorinox is great stuff. Mrs. Buzz has been using one of my Victorinox carry bags for awhile now, and the bag itself is holding up OK, but the piping around the edges is showing signs of wear; the black is wearing off, and a lighter grey is showing thru, but it's got at least a couple of hundred thousand miles on it, probably over three hundred thousand if I had to bet on it. Briggs & Riley is another brand I'd highly recommend, though it's tougher to find a deal on. TravelPro has some nice stuff, but they also have some funky stuff, so you gotta pay attention. If you have a budget idea, that would be helpful.
==
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 02, 2016 02:13PM
Find something that will fit under your bed and can be used for temporary storage. Want to take a trip ? Pull the bag of stuff (too big baby clothes, for example) out and use the bag.
Date: March 02, 2016 02:43PM
cbelt3
Find something that will fit under your bed and can be used for temporary storage.

but thats where we keep my wife's old bed - the one she couldn't get rid of although we don't have a bedroom for it.

hm....maybe i should address this....

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 02, 2016 02:58PM
[thewirecutter.com]
Posted by: davester
Date: March 02, 2016 03:17PM
ebags are the bomb. However, I'm anti-roller-carryon because the wheels and frame add too much weight and take away too much capacity and therefore use this bag: [www.ebags.com] which I think is the non-roller version of this one: [www.ebags.com]
Note that the roller version weighs 3 times as much and has something like 20% less capacity, which is typical for roller vs non-roller bags.

We usually use airport carts to carry our non-roller bags but if we know we're going to be covering extensive ground we also carry a lightweight folding luggage cart like this: [www.ebags.com] :

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: March 02, 2016 03:30PM
davester
ebags are the bomb. However, I'm anti-roller-carryon because the wheels and frame add too much weight and take away too much capacity and therefore use this bag: [www.ebags.com] which I think is the non-roller version of this one: [www.ebags.com]
Note that the roller version weighs 3 times as much and has something like 20% less capacity, which is typical for roller vs non-roller bags.

We usually use airport carts to carry our non-roller bags but if we know we're going to be covering extensive ground we also carry a lightweight folding luggage cart like this: [www.ebags.com] :

hm, i might go for this. i make a good pack animal. my wife can use my roller.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 02, 2016 03:46PM
A couple years ago our own intrepid traveler Samintex turned me onto iT Luggage. These spinner bags are extremely lightweight (3.5 lbs) but have proved to be very durable in our international travels.

Reasonably priced as well.

[www.ebags.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 02, 2016 03:48PM
davester

Same here. That is the exact one I have. Although I have to admit, hauling it from one end of the airport to the other is a huge PITA. It never occurred to me to use the folding luggage cart. I think I'll have to get that.

Posted by: Winston
Date: March 02, 2016 04:02PM
bazookaman
It never occurred to me to use the folding luggage cart. I think I'll have to get that.

That's what I used to use exclusively. Sometimes a pain to set up, but more flexible than most rolling bags. There were times I had all sorts of stuff piled on a folding cart/dolly. I stopped because it counts as another carry-on item. Same reason I now use a sleeve-type bag for my laptop, even though a real laptop bag would be better. So now I have two large items (soft sided lightweight underseat bag, and roller bag) that I carry on, instead of several smaller ones.

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 02, 2016 04:04PM
Winston
bazookaman
It never occurred to me to use the folding luggage cart. I think I'll have to get that.

That's what I used to use exclusively. Sometimes a pain to set up, but more flexible than most rolling bags. There were times I had all sorts of stuff piled on a folding cart/dolly. I stopped because it counts as another carry-on item. Same reason I now use a sleeve-type bag for my laptop, even though a real laptop bag would be better. So now I have two large items (soft sided lightweight underseat bag, and roller bag) that I carry on, instead of several smaller ones.

My wife always jams the luggage cart into her "personal item" bag (i.e. a large purse) or I jam it into my "personal item" small daypack.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 02, 2016 04:05PM
Buzz, the black piping around the edges of my bag wore completely through and then it got bent. I called Victorinox and they fixed it for free. I did have to pay shipping but it was minimal.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 02, 2016 04:35PM
Buzz
N-OS X-tasy!

Unfortunately, Kirkland luggage is a thing of the past, at least for the time being. No more lifetime guaranteed luggage from Costco. We found that out last year when we brought in a failed bag.

I've got to wonder how this is the case? I've returned failed luggage to the warehouse for a complete refund. Neither the warehouse return policy or the website return policy mention any exception for luggage.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: MikeF
Date: March 02, 2016 05:22PM
This one in the R2D2 design:
[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 02, 2016 05:51PM
Buzz
N-OS X-tasy!

Unfortunately, Kirkland luggage is a thing of the past, at least for the time being.

I've wondered about that - I haven't seen Kirkland luggage at my local Costco for some time now. Fortunately, the two pieces I own should last the rest of my life.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Kate
Date: March 02, 2016 06:25PM
I ALWAYS look at all the local thrift stores for luggage and have never failed to find a LOT of good pieces. I really can't believe how much new luggage costs, and there is so much out there that is perfectly usable at such a small price. I have found almost every brand including Victorinox, LL Bean, Samsonite, Kirkland and many others usually under $10. I try it out on a trip and if it doesn't work out, I redonate it, and if it does, it gets used till I either trash it or find something I like better. I do like my Disney (as many of you know) and just today I got a Disneyland suitcase I was eying on our last trip (but passed on as I didn't feel it was worth $50) for $2.00 at my local Goodwill. Looks to be new, maybe used once.

Kate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2016 08:02PM by Kate.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 02, 2016 06:34PM
Kate
I ALWAYS look at all the local thrift stores for luggage and have never failed to find a LOT of good pieces. I realy can't believe how much new luggage costs, and there is so much out there that is perfectly usable at such a small price. I have found almost every brand including Victorinox, LL Bean, Samsonite, Kirkland and many others usually under $10. I try it out on a trip and if it doesn't work out, I resonate it, and if it does, it gets used till I either trash it or find something I like better. I do like my Disney (as many of you know) and just today I got a Disneyland suitcase I was eying on our last trip (but passed on as I didn't feel it was worth $50) for $2.00 at my local Goodwill. Looks to be new, maybe used once.

Kate

PSA: used luggage can bring unwanted "guests" - be sure to make sure you treat items to prevent or kill bedbugs!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 02, 2016 06:54PM
anonymouse1
[thewirecutter.com]

Rich link!

My only comment: there has been a move to 'standardize' overhead luggage storage. What should not be a surprise, 90% of current wheeled luggage is not going to fit.

My best guess is that 20 inch roller bags will work long-term. Here's one story:

[www.usatoday.com]
Posted by: max
Date: March 02, 2016 07:57PM
billb
Spinners are nice if you travel mostly newer airports that are nice and flat, but once you start having to traverse stairs, curbs, steep ramps, cobblestones and large expansion joints you appreciate two bigger wheels even though you have to practice the ancient art of tip and tote.
Exactly,

and it keeps things simple,
A backpack and two wheeled carryon is good for months of travel.
Second vote for Victorinox and Tumi if you can find a deal. I dont care if it has great warranty, I just dont want it to fall apart in the middle of Xinjiang.
Samsonite used to be indestructible, now it is recyclable...

Kate
I ALWAYS look at all the local thrift stores for luggage and have never failed to find a LOT of good pieces. I realy can't believe how much new luggage costs, and there is so much out there that is perfectly usable at such a small price. I have found almost every brand including Victorinox, LL Bean, Samsonite, Kirkland and many others usually under $10. I try it out on a trip and if it doesn't work out, I resonate it, and if it does, it gets used till I either trash it or find something I like better. I do like my Disney (as many of you know) and just today I got a Disneyland suitcase I was eying on our last trip (but passed on as I didn't feel it was worth $50) for $2.00 at my local Goodwill. Looks to be new, maybe used once.

Kate
Genius....
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: March 02, 2016 08:55PM
Discount dept. stores like Marshalls and TJ Maxx sometimes have good stuff if you're lucky.

I bought an Atlantic from one a few years ago, and I've seen Victorinox there as well.

Even the "decent" stuff like Samsonite is cheaper than you'd find elsewhere.

Many say Tumi is coasting on its name, and they've cut back on their warranty accordingly.

But unless you're a road warrior/frequent traveler, the best stuff is probably a waste. All luggage is going to get beat up, and the expensive stuff only makes for a nicer target. For most, something reasonably durable is probably enough.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 02, 2016 11:58PM
rjmacs
Buzz
N-OS X-tasy!

Unfortunately, Kirkland luggage is a thing of the past, at least for the time being. No more lifetime guaranteed luggage from Costco. We found that out last year when we brought in a failed bag.

I've got to wonder how this is the case? I've returned failed luggage to the warehouse for a complete refund. Neither the warehouse return policy or the website return policy mention any exception for luggage.

Kirkland's luggage was formerly made by Paragon Luggage which made Pathfinder, among others. Pathfinder is now made by Andiamo, and sadly, Paragon is no more. Most Costco's I've seen lately feature Ricardo, Delsey and Samsonite since selling off the last of the old Paragon made Kirkland. I think Ricardo may have made some Kirkland luggage after Paragon, but then bailed... at least that's the story I got when I called Kirkland customer service. Our local Costco originally refused to refund one of Mrs. Buzz's bags (w/ the broken/completely worn out wheel), which prompted my call to customer service. They (customer service) put an entry in our account log to refund us for the bag the next time I took it back. That's when the warehouse manager told me they were cutting back on the "lifetime" luggage guarantee.

davemchine- Mrs. Buzz has gotten better about treating her carry bags; she hangs them from the strap of her rolling bag, and a few have gotten dragged along the floor, and not fared well. She's been careful to not drag the Victorinox, but the continual ins and outs of her traveling for a living have thrashed the piping... at some point we may send it in, as we also have a Briggs & Riley (it got dragged...) that needs to go back. There used to be a nice luggage shop that took real good care of the airline folks (warranty repairs and such), but unfortunately it's little commercial building was bulldozed, and replaced by a ten story mixed-use monstrosity, and the luggage company is no longer convenient. As an aside, when Paragon was around, they had an office in OC, and we swapped a few Kirkland bags there, one of which was a carry bag that had been dragged across a few too many floors. When they gave us the last of the remaining stock on that bag, the guy at the Paragon OC facility let us keep the fugly dragged one, which I've been using to store in the back of my van for the last dozen or so years. It leaves the van a few times a year for fairs and car shows. Its insides are shedding/shredding, so I'm not sure how much longer it's gonna last.
==

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 82
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020