Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Toshiba 49" LED 1080p tv $280
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 03, 2016 06:57AM
[slickdeals.net]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Toshiba 49" LED 1080p tv $280
Posted by: TLB
Date: March 03, 2016 08:17AM
Not a TV guru. Is 60Hz refresh a deal breaker in today's tech world?
Date: March 03, 2016 09:12AM
I have a slight bit of understanding and to me it comes down to marketing. There are faster refresh rates but to me it depends on the content. The biggest area they try to sell a faster refresh rate is sports. The faster rate allegedly has less flicker. When I watch sports on 60mhz it doesn't bait her me. A football doesn't look any clearer to me as it spirals though the air vs. a high MHz unit.

Maybe someone else here if picky about refresh rate and can give a better opinion.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: silvarios
Date: March 03, 2016 09:13AM
For some people, yes slower refresh is a problem. Depends on content and exactly how the panel is achieving the higher refresh.
Date: March 03, 2016 09:25AM
These kinds of ads annoy me. If the movie or tv show was shot in a way that the car is blurry as it drives by, it will be blurry because it is moving fast and it was shot in camera or had the effect added. No faster MHz is going to freeze action. I believe what they are trying to sell is the more MHz means less jerky movement but again, IMHO, it is how the content is shot.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 03, 2016 09:41AM
Just on principle I will not buy any TV that doesn't have actual refresh of 120 Hz.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: 3d
Date: March 03, 2016 09:54AM
Speedy
Just on principle I will not buy any TV that doesn't have actual refresh of 120 Hz.

With a name like "Speedy" I don't blame ya.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: March 03, 2016 10:24AM
pRICE cUBE
These kinds of ads annoy me. If the movie or tv show was shot in a way that the car is blurry as it drives by, it will be blurry because it is moving fast and it was shot in camera or had the effect added. No faster MHz is going to freeze action. I believe what they are trying to sell is the more MHz means less jerky movement but again, IMHO, it is how the content is shot.

It's depends on how the content is shot. 24 frames per second doesn't work well with 60 Hz
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 03, 2016 10:49AM
pRICE's example is a common method of a computer generating content that doesn't actually existing in a given video, from content that does.

So a blurry car will still be a blurry car. Companies have varying names for the technology, Tru-Motion being LG's marketing. Most of these versions, if not all, can be turned off.

This tech creates a frame at different intervals, that's composed of content in existing frames, to represent (!) what that "new" frame might look like, where the content actually shot at a higher frame rate.

This is responsible for the "soap opera" effect, where the images appear to be shot on digitally (which they were) instead of representing a "film" look. The problem here, as I see it, it that the effect is to exaggerate the soap opera effect compared to video that was actually shot at 60pfs or higher.

If our eyes and neurons worked faster, we would see 24fps as stop-motion compared to true 60/120/240fps. Each one of those frame rates would looks smoother than the previous, giving us more life-like viewing of content.

But what we're getting now is a CSI-based Enhance button for video. Not that there's anything intrinsically wrong with that, until it's misrepresented in as copy. You can't find pixels that aren't there.

When higher frame rates are used, the added effect is increased depth-of-field. Ok, not really, but something akin to that. In shots following a subject, the subject is in relatively sharp focus and the background is blurred. With higher frame rates during shooting, the background is less blurred. During any panning shots, the background is less blurred. This sharper video looks better when adjusted for TV viewing.

I find all of this more noticeable when playing content on a computer. TV incorporate computers to simulate higher fps and resolution and the algorithms and hardware used vary, and I think many of those TVs may not have the horsepower of many of our desktops and laptops, somewhat masking where this tech falls short.

I *think* some sports events are shot at 60pfs (or better?) so they look better on 60Hz TVs than maybe a TV imagining what that content would look like if shot at 120/240Hz.

All this is how I understand what's going on and is subject to change as my ignorance and guesswork is corrected.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 03, 2016 11:41AM
silvarios
For some people, yes slower refresh is a problem. Depends on content and exactly how the panel is achieving the higher refresh.

Yep.

If you're one of the people who sometimes sees the 'flicker' in fluorescent lights, go for 120Hz.
Posted by: Black
Date: March 03, 2016 11:58AM
cbelt3

If you're one of the people who sometimes sees the 'flicker' in fluorescent lights, go for 120Hz.
Interesting.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 03, 2016 12:25PM
TLB,

The average person watching TV is probably not going to notice a difference. On a low-quality garbage TV maybe. On a reasonably good quality TV from a reputable manufacturer? Not likely.

Consider... My living room 55" TV is 240hz. It's a high quality model from Samsung. The little kitchen 22" TV is 60hz. It's a low-end model from Samsung. The bedroom 40" TV is 60hz. Lower-end model from Samsung. All are 1080p LED models. We used to have a 32" LCD 60hz model from Panasonic in the bedroom. It was given to my nephew and replaced by the 40" Samsung.

The difference in video quality between the 55" and the other TVs is noticeable but I suspect it's more because it's a very nice TV than because of its refresh rate. The other TVs? All great and if there are any issues with the 60hz refresh rate, they haven't been noticeable enough to be a concern. Still, for a primary TV such as a living room TV, I'd still go with true 120hz at the minimum. Secondary TVs such as a kitchen TV, office room TV or bedroom TV? 60hz ought to be fine as long as it's a reasonably good TV.

Robert
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 03, 2016 12:46PM
Robert M
My living room 55" TV is 240hz. It's a high quality model from Samsung.

Can you tell me the model?

I had a Samsung some years ago that was zapped during a lightning strike and, when replacing, I bought a Sharp that's starting to have issues ("stars" throughout the bottom of the screen, noticeable when all-white or very light background; e.g., during AppleTV 4 menu screens). (Went with the Sharp b'c it was the only set that had 4 HDMI inputs; Samsung had cut all offerings to 2 -- funny thing is, there was a rep at the store at the time; I asked him why, and he pointed out that if I really needed more than two, he could show me "some great Samsung home theater systems that had many HDMI inputs"; in other words, they dropped extras for a cash grab.)

I'd like to go back to Samsung in the near future, regardless of the HDMI port issue, and am keeping a short list of models to keep in mind.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 03, 2016 01:31PM
Zoid,

I'll drop you a PM when I get home with the model number. I don't know it off the top of my head. Keep in mind, it's a 2012 model purchased in 2013. You're not going to find it available these days and,if you do, it'll be overpriced.

If you're looking for a new HDTV, check out [www.rtings.com]. It's a great site for getting info on current model HDTVs. It's worthwhile to visit even if you're not in the market for a new TV.

Robert
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 03, 2016 01:32PM
Robert M
Zoid,

I'll drop you a PM when I get home with the model number. I don't know it off the top of my head. Keep in mind, it's a 2012 model purchased in 2013. You're not going to find it available these days and,if you do, it'll be overpriced.

If you're looking for a new HDTV, check out [www.rtings.com]. It's a great site for getting info on current model HDTVs. It's worthwhile to visit even if you're not in the market for a new TV.

Robert

Thanks to both.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 03, 2016 07:44PM
Black
cbelt3

Interesting.

Yes, especially if you have photosensitive epilepsy. You know who you are because you always sat further from the CRT TV than anyone else. And bare fluorescent bulbs bother you the most unlike those in fixtures that have a reflective back surface with a frosted and textured shade, all serving to deflect and diffuse the flicker to something not a low multiple of 30 Hz.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 169
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020