advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How Do I Fix This Faucet Leak?
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: March 03, 2016 10:50AM
The leak is from the center of this kitchen faucet, coming out the top of the cylindrical cover:

I think it's a Delta, though no name is visible.

Yeah, I know the backsplash needs replacing.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How Do I Fix This Faucet Leak?
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: March 03, 2016 10:54AM
Replace the stem.
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 03, 2016 11:13AM
I would say the metal of the gooseneck where it swivels inside the base unit has worn through. Replace the entire gooseneck. I just had to do this last fall. It's not a difficult repair.

If you disassemble it you can easily see if this is the case.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2016 11:16AM by Acer.
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: March 03, 2016 11:16AM
The pivot for the center tube should have "O" rings in it. Should be able to get at Lowe's/HD. When you reinstall, put a little Vaseline lube on them to make assembly easier.

Fred
Posted by: Black
Date: March 03, 2016 11:51AM
Fred_Also
The pivot for the center tube should have "O" rings in it. Should be able to get at Lowe's/HD. When you reinstall, put a little Vaseline lube on them to make assembly easier.

Fred

Fred has it. There's a pretty good chance it's just not seated properly and you may not even need to replace anything. Turn off the hot and cold supply, unscrew the metal piece at the base (the one the water is coming over the top of) and then just pull up and you'll see what's what. If you don't see a black rubber O-ring on the base of the stem, look for it in the receiver.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: BernDog
Date: March 03, 2016 01:11PM
I thought of the pair of o-rings too (like a standard Delta), but this one isn't built like that. Just take it apart and see what it looks like. Take the innards to the home center with you. If they don't have replacements, you'll be wanting to replace the whole faucet anyway, and you're already in the right place. You're not out anything just to look at the guts. The first thing you can't be afraid of in home repair is dis-assembly.

It looks like a design issue anyway. Having the main spigot swivel like that with such a long vertical is just asking for sideways pressure at that connection, and it's probably bound to loosen up. As long as it's a common brand, the parts will probably be available.
Date: March 03, 2016 01:53PM
Hmm. . . Starting to do sound like it might be a bigger project than just replacing a pair of O-rings. Better wait to start in the AM when my wife has gone off to work. Guess that means next week.

Should be able to use a strap wrench to get that cover off—right?

Thanks. Anybody got a picture of the insides of type of faucet?

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: billb
Date: March 03, 2016 02:30PM
Usually the name of the co or their logo is faintly etched in the base plate near the center on the front or on the back.
[d2gzmlqnkfjqmm.cloudfront.net]

google used to have bazillions of images

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Carm
Date: March 03, 2016 06:55PM
Don't use petroleum jelly. There is a specific o ring lube that doesn't damage o rings. Silicone grease is one such product.
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: March 03, 2016 07:48PM
Carm
Don't use petroleum jelly. There is a specific o ring lube that doesn't damage o rings. Silicone grease is one such product.

Petroleum jelly breaks down rubber so it's a no-no, what's needed is a product called Silicone Grease or Plumber's Grease.

Danco 88693 Silicone Grease
Date: March 03, 2016 07:51PM
If you're the original consumer purchaser of the faucet the parts are covered under the Limited Warranty on Delta® Faucets

Limited Warranty on Delta® Faucets
Parts and Finish
All parts (other than electronic parts and batteries) and finishes of this Delta® faucet are warranted to the original consumer purchaser to be free from defects in material and workmanship for as long as the original consumer purchaser owns the home in which the faucet was first installed or, for commercial users, for five (5) years from the date of purchase.
Date: March 03, 2016 10:23PM
DewGuy
If you're the original consumer purchaser of the faucet the parts are covered under the Limited Warranty on Delta® Faucets

Parts and Finish
All parts (other than electronic parts and batteries) and finishes of this Delta® faucet are warranted to the original consumer purchaser to be free from defects in material and workmanship for as long as the original consumer purchaser owns the home in which the faucet was first installed or, for commercial users, for five (5) years from the date of purchase.

Yes, it's a Delta. Problem is, it was installed by a subcontractor plumber when we upgraded the house back in 1996, and I don't think I ever saw an invoice for the faucet. I can look, but finding wild geese will be much easier (we have plenty in the river).

/Mr Lynn
Date: March 03, 2016 10:51PM
mrlynn
DewGuy

Parts and Finish

Yes, it's a Delta. Problem is, it was installed by a subcontractor plumber when we upgraded the house back in 1996, and I don't think I ever saw an invoice for the faucet. I can look, but finding wild geese will be much easier (we have plenty in the river).

/Mr Lynn

I've received repair parts from Delta on 2 different occasions for 2 different Peerless faucets (another of their brands) and I'm pretty sure that I didn't have to produce a receipt to get them.
Posted by: Black
Date: March 04, 2016 04:30PM
This is not as hard as it's being made. The base piece should unscrew without a strap wrench.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 145
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020