advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Non-paper, virtual/electronic, WEDDING INVITATIONS. Fine or in poor taste?
Posted by: 3d
Date: March 07, 2016 01:02PM
So i guess the new thing now in the wedding industry is non-paper, virtual/electronic, wedding invites. We have been invited to a wedding where there were no traditional paper invitations and RSVP cards mailed out to guests. All we received was an eMail CC:d out to the entire guest list with a short paragraph and a link to their wedding blog. There's a tab menu to RSVP. A tab with directions. A tab with hotel recommendations.

Do you think this is fine? or in poor taste?

I thought it was completely bizarre. And hope it doesn't catch on. I like wedding invites in the mail.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Non-paper, virtual/electronic, WEDDING INVITATIONS. Fine or in poor taste?
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: March 07, 2016 01:05PM
I like electronic wedding invitations in the postal mail.

Send me an iPad with the invitation displayed on its screen.
Posted by: Randalls
Date: March 07, 2016 01:14PM
Snail mailed invites might not actually get there.
Posted by: kledo
Date: March 07, 2016 01:22PM
So, why bother going to the wedding service? Have it posted on YouTube!

To think of all the $$$$ I could have saved throwing my kids' weddings.

--Kledo
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 07, 2016 01:25PM
Snail mailed invites might not actually get there.

Most likely, those 'lost in the mail' were 'sent' to people not actually invited. That's hardly a recommendation for electronic invitations.

The choice of electronic invitations would depend on the guests invited.

There are all kinds of non-traditional weddings, and a non-traditional invitation might not be in bad taste. If it were a pdf, blah. If it were some kind of interactive presentation, that could be a very interesting alternative than just a mere electronic version of a standard paper invitation.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 07, 2016 01:27PM
"Send me an iPad with the invitation displayed on its screen."

agree smiley

Otherwise, poor taste (send an email with pictures of $100 bills as their wedding gift ;) )
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 07, 2016 01:32PM
We attended a wedding with an email invite. It was kind of rushed, and mostly 20 somethings who didn't really think anything more or less about it. The older generation grumbled a bit, but hey...

I'd personally go for snail mailed invites. After all, nobody under 30 seems to email any more, OR use Facebook. And tweeting/instagramming/whatevering is too public.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 07, 2016 01:35PM
I'm gonna go with it depends on the crowd/intended audience... and I don't see any way for a typical (current day) audience to be in total agreement, so there would probably be some ruffled feathers, or accommodations made for some guests. I do that another twenty or thirty years down the road, paper will be rare.
==

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 07, 2016 01:40PM
Buzz
I'm gonna go with it depends on the crowd/intended audience... and I don't see any way for a typical (current day) audience to be in total agreement, so there would probably be some ruffled feathers, or accommodations made for some guests. I do that another twenty or thirty years down the road, paper will be rare.
==

agree smiley

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 07, 2016 01:41PM
kledo
So, why bother going to the wedding service? Have it posted on YouTube!

Why not just make it a Vine post? grinning smiley

It is what it is.
Posted by: Randalls
Date: March 07, 2016 01:45PM
People move more often now and it is harder to keep up with current addresses. I think it would be best to do both. Email an invite with an RSVP and request the up to date address then follow it up with a nice paper invite. OR, paper invites to people who are not accepting of an email invite. I was not trying to slam the USPO (but they did manage to lose a hand made card for my son's birthday mia since October).
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 07, 2016 01:52PM
3d
I thought it was completely bizarre. And hope it doesn't catch on. I like wedding invites in the mail.

Who cares???? It's not YOUR wedding.

Buzz
I'm gonna go with it depends on the crowd/intended audience

If it were MY wedding, I'd say who gives a crap about "the crowd/intended audience". It's MY wedding. It seems I've talked to more people then normal this year and the end of last year about THEIR weddings and things they are afraid to do for fear of offending their guests. I guess it's just me but if I decide to do something non-traditional at or for my wedding I would hope that my guests would be accommodating enough to "allow" it. If they aren't, then I probably shouldn't have sent them an invite in the first place.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 07, 2016 01:54PM
Randalls
Email an invite with an RSVP and request the up to date address then follow it up with a nice paper invite.

Something along these lines might work.

I kind of feel that if one wants to have a wedding and invite guests and expect gifts and spend too much money feeding them and so forth, that it's kind of odd to suddenly get cheap and lazy about the actual invitation.

Posted by: Acer
Date: March 07, 2016 02:04PM
If you want to save money....

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 07, 2016 02:07PM
I think the wedding should be online as a courtesy to those who could not attend. I also think there should be a Skype style conferenced large screen display for those same folks at the reception as well.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 07, 2016 02:08PM
Bazooka,

While I understand your point, there is something to be said for taking into consideration the guests you want to have at a wedding. Some simply cannot accommodate a non-traditional wedding even if it seems reasonable to the bride and groom.

Robert
Posted by: raz
Date: March 07, 2016 02:12PM
Wedding are <expletive> expensive. And needlessly so. If whoever is footing the bill can save a few hundred bucks, I don't have a problem with it.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: March 07, 2016 02:13PM
$tevie
I kind of feel that if one wants to have a wedding and invite guests and expect gifts and spend too much money feeding them and so forth, that it's kind of odd to suddenly get cheap and lazy about the actual invitation.

This is true. I was also just thinking of how much money I could save if I just RSVP to their virtual invite AND send along my virtual gift at the same time.

That's right kids, it's your very own virtual estate. I got it just for you. Love, Uncle Jack.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Date: March 07, 2016 02:49PM
Robert M
Bazooka,

While I understand your point, there is something to be said for taking into consideration the guests you want to have at a wedding. Some simply cannot accommodate a non-traditional wedding even if it seems reasonable to the bride and groom.

Robert

We'll have to agree to disagree. People should be happy that their friends/relatives are getting married. They should want to be there to help celebrate that union. It shouldn't matter to anyone what shape or form the invite takes. If you decide not to go to a wedding b/c of an invite, something is wrong with you. But hey. That's fine. Guess what? It's not YOUR wedding. If you believe your gift should be commensurate with the quality of invitation you received, you should probably just stay home.

Why waste an inordinate amount of resources/time/postage to send out paper invites to 100 people simply b/c Uncle Bob and Aunt Barb don't "do" computers. This IS the 21st century right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2016 02:49PM by bazookaman.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 07, 2016 02:52PM
imo, this is not something to get grumpy about. Things change and old people have a hard time with it. REFUSE to be that codger and accept what young people are doing as a new way to do things.

There was probably a time when invitations were hand delivered in a nice scroll with a pretty ribbon in a bow - imagine how pissed off the old timers were when they got their first MAILED (eeewwww!) wedding invite?

Is it in poor taste? Not to the people getting married... and the weeding is all about celebrating THEM.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 07, 2016 02:57PM
Bazooka,

Whoah! Not sure how you came to many of those conclusions but it doesn't suit what I said in my post.

Robert
Posted by: 3d
Date: March 07, 2016 03:13PM
hal
imo, this is not something to get grumpy about.

The only obviously "grumpy" person here is bazookaman who seems really bent out of shape over this.
Date: March 07, 2016 03:16PM
Robert M
Bazooka,

Whoah! Not sure how you came to many of those conclusions but it doesn't suit what I said in my post.

Robert

Sorry. I started off just responding to your post. Then just kind of edited in some other thoughts.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 07, 2016 03:17PM
One more step into the future, I suppose. I suspect this will become the norm before too much time passes.

Besides, who defines what is in good taste? It bugs the heck out of me when I hear folks saying THIS is the way things are to be done, no matter what the occasion is.

Oh, and I don't think it's the wedding industry behind it. That's money out of their pocket if you don't do the things the traditional way, whoever decided what THAT was.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: March 07, 2016 03:19PM
3d
hal

The only obviously "grumpy" person here is bazookaman who seems really bent out of shape over this.

Not grumpy. Just amazed at how this enlightened bunch clings to some vestige of a bygone practice. And also annoyed at the fact that people seem to think a wedding is about anyone OTHER than the two people getting married.

Posted by: DP
Date: March 07, 2016 03:35PM
I think this post should have marked "OT"...

grinning smiley

A little break from the grief...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 07, 2016 03:54PM
bazookaman
3d
hal

Not grumpy. Just amazed at how this enlightened bunch clings to some vestige of a bygone practice. And also annoyed at the fact that people seem to think a wedding is about anyone OTHER than the two people getting married.

They all know how you should be living your life better than you do.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: March 07, 2016 04:41PM
bazookaman
And also annoyed at the fact that people seem to think a wedding is about anyone OTHER than the two people getting married.

Then let them go get married in the courthouse. As soon as you put out your hand asking for obligatory presents, you have made it about everyone else as well.

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 07, 2016 05:03PM
Invites via email are just fine.

Weddings are a ripoff boondoggle. Get married by a JotP and host a big party for friends & family wherever you choose to afford and be done with it. No presents. No bloody diamonds (unless you're at Wrigley for the party). Mrs Zealand was using her stand mixer this weekend and I remarked that she was actually using something from our wedding present list and she reminded me that we picked it up at Costco a few years later.

Boondoggle.
Date: March 07, 2016 05:24PM
Then let them go get married in the courthouse. As soon as you put out your hand asking for obligatory presents, you have made it about everyone else as well.
==
Invites via email are just fine.

Weddings are a ripoff boondoggle. Get married by a JotP and host a big party for friends & family wherever you choose to afford and be done with it. No presents. No bloody diamonds (unless you're at Wrigley for the party). Mrs Zealand was using her stand mixer this weekend and I remarked that she was actually using something from our wedding present list and she reminded me that we picked it up at Costco a few years later.

Boondoggle.

Got married late in life, and not big on the presents thing, though Mrs. Buzz was not opposed to the idea. As it turned out, most of the breakable presents we got were demolished in our big LA earthquake. Oops. Presents aside, there is still a segment of the population that isn't internet savvy and/or appreciates an actual invitation. Until that segment has expired, virtual invites will not be all encompassing, so again, it behooves the betrothed to know their audience, and invite as appropriate for that audience.
==
Posted by: fauch
Date: March 07, 2016 05:28PM
Most of my friends (20s-30s) are using electronic invitations with the caveat that they will send you a hard copy if you so desire. They have professional invitations made, just don't send them out.

I have yet to ask for one. Why waste paper and all that money on postage?
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 07, 2016 05:32PM
Buzz
Presents aside, there is still a segment of the population that isn't internet savvy and/or appreciates an actual invitation. Until that segment has expired, virtual invites will not be all encompassing, so again, it behooves the betrothed to know their audience, and invite as appropriate for that audience.
==

This is on target. As all-or-nothing as I made my post, knowing your audience is key. We do Christmas cards in a mixed media way as well. An old family friend in central IL always gets a printed paper card via snail mail while my brother gets an emailed jpg of the original. Right tool for each job.
Date: March 07, 2016 06:36PM
We always mail old-fashioned paper Christmas cards to everyone, even the most internet savvy. It's just a small way to show we put a little bit of effort into the relationship, even if it's just once a year.

Date: March 07, 2016 06:40PM
And also annoyed at the fact that people seem to think a wedding is about anyone OTHER than the two people getting married.

Then why to they invite anybody at all? Everybody saves time and money.

At least you remembered that there was at least one other person involved in a wedding.

Or did she not get a vote in YOURS?

Now, most people invite friend and family to weddings. You may be a maverick. One generally considers the feeling of friends and family as much as their own.

I admit the "We're getting married our way and fk all y'all if you don't like it" attitude is a bit novel except for maybe a Hatfield/McCoy situation.

It does cut down on the amount of thank-you cards you have to write.

I am that Masked Man.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: March 07, 2016 09:52PM

From what we've seen, Millennials don't write thank you cards... if you're lucky, you *might* get a text.
==
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 08, 2016 02:20AM
Buzz

From what we've seen, Millennials don't write thank you cards... if you're lucky, you *might* get a text.
==

That's because, for the most part, manners and politeness are lost on them. I see it with my step-kids, and all the 20 somethings that work at my GF's preschool/daycare. Clueless about manners and etiquette. The numbers of people shouting into their cellphones in restaurants, and playing with their smartphones while people are talking with them is just the tip of the iceberg.

My oldest stepkid has gone feral since he moved out. No one around him has manners or any clue about etiquette, so all out hard work has been abandoned. He mirrors their behavior, and ignores what he was brought up to.
Posted by: rz
Date: March 08, 2016 08:11AM
$tevie
We always mail old-fashioned paper Christmas cards to everyone, even the most internet savvy. It's just a small way to show we put a little bit of effort into the relationship, even if it's just once a year.

This.
Date: March 08, 2016 01:51PM

and

That's because, for the most part, manners and politeness are lost on them.

What we define as manners and politeness are always subject to change, though we may not be. I'm not a fan of what passes for acceptable behavior in some circles.

Even in those circles I consider bereft of civility and respect, there are rules as to what constitutes manners and politeness.

One can cite several examples at different levels where "society has gone downhill" from a given perspective.

Times change. I'm not in favor of many of those changes, but time marches on relentlessly.

I am that Masked Man.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: TLB
Date: March 09, 2016 08:10AM
Late to the party, but don't forget one of the new TLDs is .wedding. The will probably be the norm in very short order.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020