advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Fax machine recommendations?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 13, 2006 03:04PM
We need a new fax machine for the office and they stuck me with picking one out. Why, I can't even guess -- I'm not even one of the people that uses it, except once in a blue moon. But I am the one who got stuck picking out the last one. Which only lasted five years and drove everyone crazy with its beeping noises and persnickety ways. SO after such success, why not have me pick out another one? LOL.

We need a stand-alone, plain paper fax machine with good transmission speed, affordable cartridges or toner, and good printing quality. We need to be able to send broadcast faxes to at least 100 recipients at a time. We do not need it for scanning or as an extra printer or to talk to the network or anything at all except send and receive faxes.

Would laser be the way to go? I have this idea that it would be cheaper than ink jet and easier to deal with than those film cartridges. Is that true?

And nobody here wants to even discuss using our computers instead of a fax machine, so that is not an option.

I appreciate any ideas anyone might have. TIA.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Fax machine recommendations?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 13, 2006 03:09PM
We've been pretty happy with our Brother 2820 which takes the same carts as a printer we have.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 13, 2006 03:50PM
HP has a few Fax machines. I wouldn't touch a POS Brother with a 10 foot pole unless you have a local service center/agent that will work on them.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Giacomo
Date: November 13, 2006 04:06PM
I use maxemail.com so I don't have to bother about ink, paper and other problems.
and for the little that I use work very good ..setup an extra email account called fax@mycompany.com and maybe in the future use a separate mac only for that.
Posted by: Blurb
Date: November 13, 2006 04:21PM
We've finally switched to laser for our main fax (it is the only one that receives faxes now). It you receive any volume of faxes daily, then your bottom line expense is the toner/ink cartridges. Laser is the only way to go to keep these recurring costs as low as possible. Inkjets will cost less up front, but will eat your business up in ink/toner costs.

Most basic fax machines will do what you need. We've tried 2-3 different brands in the 18 years I've been in business, but have had the least problems with HP. Sorry I can't remember the model # of the HP laser we're using.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 13, 2006 06:53PM
i have had this panasonic for years -- damn reliable -- but i dont do a lot of faxing

[www2.panasonic.com]

we have a $300-400 brother at my office, it really flys, but we do a lot of faxing from there

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: bruceko
Date: November 13, 2006 08:31PM
We just went through the hunt to replace a 10 year old Panasonic.

Started out with a Ricoh Fax machine but networking it was going to cost an extra $300
ended up with a Ricoh 1515 multifunction. Works well with network faxing from pc and scanning to email.
It seems like all the fax machines are really cheap or over $1000.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 14, 2006 12:40PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks!
I will check them out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2006 12:42PM by $tevie.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 113
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020