advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Said goodbye to another old friend yesterday... **updated**
Posted by: MikeF
Date: April 01, 2016 05:00PM
Sadie, our golden retriever, was put to sleep yesterday (dog #8). She was a little over 13 and she was ours for more than 11 years (from a family that got her from a rescue but she was too much for them and their small children). She was diagnosed with tumors in her nose just a few months ago (started with what we thought was just an allergy; it went pretty fast; her nose would bleed every time she sneezed; the outside was pretty raw all the time and looked like it was eroding away; and we're assuming painful as she would flinch if anything even came near it). She already had hip issues that were getting worse, needed help getting up most of the time, and was mostly just sleeping all day (she was abused early in life and some of the back leg issues were the result of that).

We still have dog #9 who's been getting some extra loving today. We are thankful we have been graced with 9 dogs over the last 37 years (longer than we've had children) and will probably start looking for another rescue/shelter in the near future. We've always tried to have at least two so they could keep themselves company whenever we weren't home...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2016 01:12PM by MikeF.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Said goodbye to another old friend yesterday...
Posted by: Pam
Date: April 01, 2016 05:03PM
Awww, so sorry for you loss. They truly are members of the family.
Posted by: bik
Date: April 01, 2016 05:08PM
Condolences to your family.
Hard and painful decisions...

Rest in peace, Sadie.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: April 01, 2016 05:15PM
She looks like a real sweetheart. Gotta be extra tough for a dog to have cancer in the nose.
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: April 01, 2016 05:29PM
What a sweet face. Sorry for your loss.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 01, 2016 05:37PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Goldens are one of my very favorites, and for some reason those old grey faces always melt my heart.

PS: I forgot to mention that I think Sadie is a wonderful name for a retriever!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2016 05:38PM by $tevie.
Posted by: DP
Date: April 01, 2016 05:45PM
God bless you for giving them wonderful lives that they may have not experienced but for you. RIP, Sadie...

In memory of Dickie Betts.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

"Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime."- Lavrentiy Beria
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: April 01, 2016 05:53PM
Condolences to you from Woody (12), Ruby (9), Stewie (6) and Louie (2.5)...and me. We feel your pain.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: wave rider
Date: April 01, 2016 05:54PM
Condolences for your loss...

=wr=
Posted by: lost in space
Date: April 01, 2016 06:46PM
Sad.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 01, 2016 07:12PM
Bless you for taking good care of our canine counterparts.

I sometimes find it a bit overwhelming how much joy dogs bring to us.

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 01, 2016 07:27PM
DP
God bless you for giving them wonderful lives that they may have not experienced but for you. RIP, Sadie...

I couldn't say it any better, so... this.

It is what it is.
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 01, 2016 07:33PM
Condolences on your loss. She looks like she was a real sweetheart.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 01, 2016 08:49PM
So sorry to hear. It's obvious from the look in her eyes that you took care of Sadie wonderfully throughout the years.

May her suffering finally be over. R.I.P.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 01, 2016 09:50PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. Sounds like she had a great life with her family.

Grateful11
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: April 01, 2016 09:55PM
How heartening to know that Sadie had such a good life with your family. My condolences on your loss.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: April 02, 2016 12:03AM
Rest in peace, Sadie.

MikeF, you gave her a loving, caring home. I am sure Sadie was so very grateful for that.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: GeneL
Date: April 02, 2016 08:12AM
No words can ease the sadness that you must be feeling.

I'm feeling a sadness because of your loss.

Losing a well loved pet is really tough, Mike.

Please post more about Sadie, how good she was and pictures, so we can share the happy memories with you, as well.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: beagledave
Date: April 02, 2016 09:25AM
Sorry for the loss of your friend, and what a good looking friend she was!
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 02, 2016 09:56AM
Goodbye sweet Sadie. She was beautiful. I can just imagine hugging her.
Re: Said goodbye to another old friend yesterday... (long)
Posted by: MikeF
Date: April 02, 2016 01:10PM
GeneL
Please post more about Sadie, how good she was and pictures, so we can share the happy memories with you, as well.

Sadie was our 5th golden retriever (dog numbers 3, 4, 5, 6; there was an Australian Shepherd for #7). After the first two goldens, we determined that goldens were ideal for a family with young children based on their playful, easy-going personalities -- they're just big goofy children themselves. Although, by the time we received Sadie, the kids were in high school. Sadie loved playing in the backyard -- she would chase tennis balls for hours if you let her (and you were willing to toss it). She would literally tear the fuzz off them -- we occasionally give her a stuffed toy which she would destroy within 30 minutes. She was never interested in chasing birds or squirrels, however, unlike all the other dogs we've had. We had indoor dog toys left over from the other dogs when we got her and she basically bit off any protrusion on all of the toys (loops, knobs, rope, etc.). And she would go wild if she ever heard a squeaky toy noise (even on the TV); the occasional squeaky toy wouldn't survive more than a day if we didn't limit her time with it. But she never touched anything in the house that wasn't for the dogs.

And she was always big-time interested in food. Don't know if that had anything to do with the abuse before the rescue family and us got her. Any time someone was in the kitchen, she was there with them hoping for something to be given or waiting for something to fall on the floor. She was always the first one done eating and would chomp your fingers if you gave her a treat and didn't move your hand away fast enough.

She was also very scared of loud noises -- don't know if that was because of any trauma when she was young. We have a 4-poster bed in the master bedroom that sits fairly high off the floor and she would spend the days (when we were both at work) under the bed hidden by the dust ruffle. Usually the dogs would greet us at the garage door when we came home, but sometimes Sadie was fast asleep and when you went upstairs, you'd find her crawling out from under the bed. There were some items we were storing under the bed and she managed to move them all to one side and the front of the bed to make space for herself. She would be very upset if we closed the bedroom door and there were loud noises as she couldn't get into her "safe spot" (we live on a corner with one larger street that has big trucks and other vehicles traversing it). She was really scared of loud motorcycles and once again we wondered if that was an early life trauma trigger...

Some more photos. This one is her getting down to tearing off the fuzz; shortly after the first picture I posted:

This one is her being "attacked" by the year-old granddaughter:

This one is her laying on the floor with #9 (a husky/golden/shepherd/other mix):

And this one is her on the loveseat -- which she claimed as her own; we just put down an old bedspread so she wouldn't destroy the leather; she would bump the other dogs off if they were on it first:

Thanks for asking, Gene...
Posted by: GeneL
Date: April 02, 2016 01:40PM
I'm glad that you posted the pictures and that you told us more about Sadie. It made it easier to feel a connection with you.

Sweet girl! I can see why you'll miss her.

Be well, Mike.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Re: Said goodbye to another old friend yesterday... **updated**
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 02, 2016 01:56PM
Thanks for sharing your beautiful Sadie with us! So sorry for your loss and sending lots of love your way.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 02, 2016 03:34PM
Sorry for your loss. She seems to have been a true member of your family.
Re: Said goodbye to another old friend yesterday... (long)
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 02, 2016 04:56PM
I love the story and the photos. What a sweetheart.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 03, 2016 12:33AM
Awwww, look at that big fluffer, so nice. A super hard loss. But thank you from another lover of dogs for all you do. Sadie sounds like she is closer to our current mutt in personality and behavior, although ours certainly goes nuts for squirrels and rabbits.

Hurts like a bastid...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 236
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020