advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The Downside of Amazon Prime - Binge Watching
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 12, 2016 09:58AM
I got sucked into watching all seasons of "The Wire". WOW. Just.... WOW. What an engaging series. What memorable characters. What awesome acting (and apparently by many people who were actually on the streets, on the police departments, etc..). The way the show explored a main story arc each season. And the final ending was perfect.

Back to Longmire.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The Downside of Amazon Prime - Binge Watching
Posted by: wave rider
Date: April 12, 2016 10:04AM
It is a feature, not a bug...

=wr=
The Upside of Amazon Prime - Binge Watching
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 12, 2016 10:08AM
The Wire is probably the best, though not the only example of the Upside.

I resisted watching, initially, because the only chatter I heard about it came from the glorification of points I felt were negative and deeply opposed. (I know, it's just a TV show.)

But for all the reasons you listed, it is some absolutely great TV. Great writing, great cast, great experience.

And it would have killed me not to see it three and even four episodes at a sitting. And with some of their other shows being released all episodes at once, it makes watching two or more at a time very convenient.

So many shows have movie-like production, that I want to watch at least two, and that isn't convenient with most network TV. In that case I try to record a cache of episodes and then watch them in multiples.

But The Wire- yeah.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: April 12, 2016 10:19AM
Did you get to see the Wire in HD? that is what is offered now on HBO, and it looks great, way better than the SD old version, but I haven't watched anything more than some of the first Ep again. It was a great show though, I agree.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 12, 2016 10:56AM
michaelb
Did you get to see the Wire in HD? that is what is offered now on HBO, and it looks great, way better than the SD old version, but I haven't watched anything more than some of the first Ep again. It was a great show though, I agree.
watched on my iPhone 6s. good enough for my old eyes.
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 12, 2016 01:19PM
cbelt3
michaelb
watched on my iPhone 6s. good enough for my old eyes.

Size matters!

I worshipped The Wire.
Posted by: August West
Date: April 12, 2016 02:23PM
Sopranos, 6 Feet Under, Deadwood....

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."

Posted by: davester
Date: April 12, 2016 03:29PM
How is this the down side of Amazon Prime? It's the same issue any way that most people watch TV these days (Amazon, Netflix, iTunes, Roku, etc, etc). Does anybody actually watch anything the old fashioned way (i.e. on the TV or cable channel airing schedule) any more?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: SteveO
Date: April 12, 2016 04:56PM
Agree, not a downside. About the only TV I watch now is NF or Prime on demand, with a few PBS exceptions. I have HBO Now (for now) mostly for watching Vinyl which is only released weekly -- which sucks -- but will likely cancel that after next weekend's finale.

I started watching Transparent (love Jeffrey Tambor) but the adult children characters were too vapid and annoying (is that redundant?) for me to continue much into S2. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

The Wire was a great show all around, agree 110%. Don't forget to catch Firefly. Another too-short series but good TV.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 12, 2016 05:41PM
It took me a couple of weeks, but I just went through all 6 seasons of the Sopranos on Amazon Prime. The 50% Italian side of me simply loved taking the journey once again. The 50% "mutt" in me was once again horrified by all the violence.

Uncle Junior had the best jokes though...

"A man brings a bouquet of flowers home to his wife. The wife says, I suppose I'll have to spread my legs now. The husband said, why? Don't you have a vase?"

smiley-laughing001

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 12, 2016 06:31PM
I don't think it's a stretch to say that TV has never been better than it's been in the last decade or so. This is all the more amazing when one considers how youth-oriented much of our culture's performing arts became during the same period. We are blessed with an embarrassment of riches.

It is what it is.
Posted by: billb
Date: April 12, 2016 09:14PM
cbelt3
The Downside of Amazon Prime

betcha a dollar someone doesn't recognize sarcasm just to fly their superiority flag.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020