advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"Why have so many celebrities died this year?"
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 22, 2016 04:08PM
Prince joins a long list of celebrities who've died so far this year - David Bowie, the actor Alan Rickman,the US singer Merle Haggard, the former drugs smuggler Howard Marks. And there are many more. Here in the UK the Daily Telegraph newspaper maintains a gallery of famous people who've died. By this time last year, the number of people in the gallery was 30. This year the number is already 75. And Guardian newspaper columnist Deborah Orr believes "that's how it's going to be from now on."

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Why have so many celebrities died this year?"
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 22, 2016 04:22PM
They're getting older. Older people tend to die more often than younger people.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 22, 2016 04:24PM
Well, the explanation is somewhat more nuanced than that. About multi-generational celebrities and such.

Posted by: pdq
Date: April 22, 2016 04:25PM
When I was younger, there were lots of deaths of famous people I had never heard of, so it kind of flew over my head.

Now I know all these people (not personally, of course) and they're all dropping dead!

That said, it's not clear that the progressive increase in life expectancy we've become used to is going to continue. The death rate for middle aged white men has flatlined (or worse) for a number of years now. Some folks are blaming this on prescription drug abuse or suicides. Beyond this, in the US at least, a lot of folks growing up in the 30's and 40's were probably calorie-restricted (due to the depression + war), which increases life expectancy when it happens in young animals.

Since then, we've kind of been on the food trough.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: April 22, 2016 04:27PM
They know something we don't and are checking out.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 22, 2016 04:34PM
We have more "celebrities" now than we used to.
Give a guy a @#$%& and release the video, and pretty soon, you, your sisters, and your whole family have a reality show.

Wish we could "cull the herd" selectively, and leave the likes of Prince alone.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: DP
Date: April 22, 2016 05:08PM
former drugs smuggler Howard Marks

This is a celebrity?

A little break from the grief...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: April 22, 2016 05:27PM
Paul F.
We have more "celebrities" now than we used to.
Give a guy a @#$%& and release the video, and pretty soon, you, your sisters, and your whole family have a reality show.

Wish we could "cull the herd" selectively, and leave the likes of Prince alone.

I don't count any or all of "Kar-twits", their spouses or off-spring as celebrities. But I do wish they'd fade away like Paris Hilton did...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2016 05:28PM by Lizabeth.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 22, 2016 05:53PM
Lizabeth
I don't count any or all of "Kar-twits", their spouses or off-spring as celebrities. But I do wish they'd fade away like Paris Hilton did...

You spelled that wrong...but I think the forum filter won't let me fix it.
They're an extreme example, but point being - there are a lot more "celebrities" polluting the ranks of celebrities nowadays, so more are gonna turn up in the ranks of the departed. Just not usually the ones we WISH were departed.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 22, 2016 06:14PM
It's the Illuminati, so I've heard on the internet.
Posted by: 3d
Date: April 22, 2016 06:54PM
Media puts many "celebrities" on pedestals after they pass away. Where was everyone when they were alive??? David Bowie and Prince were not exactly selling out stadiums. But after they passed away, they're canonized and "EVERYONE" loves them all of a sudden.

Death makes the heart grow fonder.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 22, 2016 07:23PM
3d
Media puts many "celebrities" on pedestals after they pass away. Where was everyone when they were alive??? David Bowie and Prince were not exactly selling out stadiums. But after they passed away, they're canonized and "EVERYONE" loves them all of a sudden.

They're canonized for their LIFELONG achievements, not for how popular they were on the day they happened to die.

Bowie and Prince were both artists in the truest sense of the word - they deserve every accolade heaped upon them upon their passings.

It is what it is.
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 22, 2016 07:57PM
3d

Prince was selling out stadiums tho. Or I should say arenas. He was always the hottest ticket in town up to his death.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2016 07:58PM by vision63.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 22, 2016 08:07PM
DP
former drugs smuggler Howard Marks

This is a celebrity?

Not sure we can protest too loudly, being from the land of Kardashians and all.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 22, 2016 08:14PM
3d

I think you're waaaaaay off base.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: April 22, 2016 08:41PM
simple.... they failed to continue breathing.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: clyde
Date: April 22, 2016 09:41PM
Lew Zealand
They're getting older. Older people tend to die more often than younger people.

I doubt that. As far as I've been able to determine, deaths are limited to one per person…
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 23, 2016 12:16AM
There are more of them and we know more of them. I have a world almanac from 1963 put out by the New York Herold Tribune (or some such) that lists birth/death dates of hundreds of celebrities. Most were alive and well when it was published in 1962. Movies were only four decades old, TV about a dozen years. Theatre was old and many stage actors had died but they were not generally all that well known.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 23, 2016 09:21AM
The Kar-Kids and even Kanye are relatively harmless and easy to ignore, if one chooses.

The same can't be said for the likes of say-- those who wipe out families and leave three children as survivors. (I didn't click so I'm aware I'm very broadly generalizing.)

So if I was inclined to 'cull the herd', relatively innocuous media 'stars' wouldn't come near making the list.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Manlove
Date: April 23, 2016 01:56PM
[www.facebook.com]
Posted by: pqrst
Date: April 23, 2016 05:35PM
Interesting article. I like the observation that with rise of mass culture in the 50s that we now have more celebrities then before. And this is the way it will be from now on. Personally, I think the death of princess di was an early example of mass culture celebrity death in this new wave.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 113
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020