advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
San Francisco: Crime Capital
Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 24, 2016 09:28PM
Wow, I never knew it was this bad there.

Recent data from the F.B.I. show that San Francisco has the highest per-capita property crime rate of the nation’s top 50 cities. About half the cases here are thefts from vehicles, smash-and-grabs that scatter glittering broken glass onto the sidewalks.

The city, known for a political tradition of empathy for the downtrodden, is now divided over whether to respond with more muscular law enforcement or stick to its forgiving attitudes.

The Chamber of Commerce and the tourist board are calling for harsher measures to improve what is euphemistically called the “condition of the streets,” a term that encompasses the intractable homeless problem, public intravenous drug use, the large population of mentally ill people on the streets and aggressive panhandling. The chamber recently released the results of an opinion poll that showed that homelessness and “street behavior” were the primary concerns of residents here.

[www.nytimes.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: San Francisco: Crime Capital
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 24, 2016 10:34PM
I'm a little surprised to see the NY Times engage in this "crime ranking" when the FBI and many other groups have warned for years against using these stats to draw comparisons or reach conclusions about cities.
Yes San Francisco has problems to address, but so do lots of other places.

Caution against ranking

Figures used in this Report were submitted voluntarily by law enforcement agencies throughout the country. Individuals using these tabulations are cautioned against drawing conclusions by making direct comparisons between cities. Comparisons lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting communities and their residents. Valid assessments are possible only with careful study and analysis of the range of unique conditions affecting each local law enforcement jurisdiction. It is important to remember that crime is a social problem and, therefore, a concern of the entire community. In addition, the efforts of law enforcement are limited to factors within its control. The data user is, therefore, cautioned against comparing statistical data of individual agencies. Further information on this topic can be obtained in Uniform Crime Reporting Statistics: Their Proper Use.
Posted by: davester
Date: April 24, 2016 11:20PM
There are a lot of "smash and grab" crimes against tourists at the main tourist traps attractions within SF itself, because folks from out of town tend to leave their valuables in their rental cars in plain sight. However, I don't think it's an endemic problem to the region.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: bruceko
Date: April 24, 2016 11:56PM
Seattle is having the same experiences as San Francisco. Police don't even respond to most property crimes.
I decided it is all just part of the politicians plans for redistribution of wealth.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 25, 2016 12:34AM
Tell them a firearm was stolen. When they show up, say you located it.
Posted by: billb
Date: April 25, 2016 12:52AM
When you don't like the data condemn the data and blame the victims.
Nice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020