advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Teenaged cousin diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and taking four shots a day. Does anyone know the best pumps these days.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 24, 2016 09:30PM
?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Teenaged cousin diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and taking four shots a day. Does anyone know the best pumps these days.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 24, 2016 09:44PM
Yikes! That sucks.

Now, if he had Crohn's, our family knows WAY too much about that.
Re: Teenaged cousin diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and taking four shots a day. Does anyone know the best pumps these days.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: April 24, 2016 11:25PM
Darn, if it was still last year I would ask one of our recent grads for recommendations or a recently retired colleague. Both have type 1 diabetes.
Posted by: davec
Date: April 24, 2016 11:32PM
Dennis S- my two sons both were diagnosed with Type 1 about 8 years ago (5 weeks apart). Both started out with insulin pens (Humalog Quickpens). Our eldest continues to use the insulin pen. Our youngest has been using the OmniPod insulin pump system for the past five years. The OmniPod system is unique in that there is no tubing, the system places the cannula automatically and it uses a wireless remote (PDM) to control the pod ((Pod). We looked at many systems before deciding on the OmniPod (Insulet Corp) system. I believe that systems from other companies will some day update to the tubeless system. I'd like to share more, but I will need to wait until tomorrow (I have an early morning tomorrow). If it is okay I will plan to PM tomorrow?

Dave

...on the trailing edge of technology.
Date: April 25, 2016 12:11AM
davec
Dennis S- my two sons both were diagnosed with Type 1 about 8 years ago (5 weeks apart). Both started out with insulin pens (Humalog Quickpens). Our eldest continues to use the insulin pen. Our youngest has been using the OmniPod insulin pump system for the past five years. The OmniPod system is unique in that there is no tubing, the system places the cannula automatically and it uses a wireless remote (PDM) to control the pod ((Pod). We looked at many systems before deciding on the OmniPod (Insulet Corp) system. I believe that systems from other companies will some day update to the tubeless system. I'd like to share more, but I will need to wait until tomorrow (I have an early morning tomorrow). If it is okay I will plan to PM tomorrow?

Dave

Sure. I look forward to hearing what you say. My friend's son has the Omnipod. He started with the Minimed and it changed his life. They got my mom hooked up with a Minimed and now I'm going to see if she might get an Omnipod.
Posted by: J Marston
Date: April 25, 2016 09:49AM
Rely on the judgment of the endocrinologist: they have to deal with the consequences of pumps. My son is Type I and uses a Minimed, but it was the one his doctor recommended.

The most recent rely on implanted glucometers automatically looping to a pump; I don't think they're quite ready for prime time, but things change quickly in the field.

Tell your cousin not to despair. (How old is s/he?) There is no reason to have a shorter life expectancy or any of the problems often associated with diabetes. But here's the big thing--probably the biggest thing for all diabetics, and Type 1s in particular: keep the weight off. (A lot of Type 1s put on weight by overeating after they go low; when the insulin starts working, it moves that glucose into fat.) Keeping at recommended weight, or even a little below, is the best thing your cousin can do to make the disease controllable.
Date: April 25, 2016 09:53PM
He's around 18. His dad's a rancher and he is into that, too. Maybe he'll get enough natural exercise to help a lot. The family is pretty level-headed so I have faith he will do alright.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 63
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020