Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
About to wipe/restore my 5s - question
Posted by: rouderon
Date: May 02, 2016 05:01PM
From this thread: [forums.macresource.com]
The short story is: I had excellent battery life until I went from iOS 8.3 to 8.4 and it's been horrible ever since. Had hoped the new updates would fix it, but I'm at the current iOS and it still drains the same. Sunday I unplugged it at full charge and after 3 hours on standby was down to 80%. I'm finally getting around to wiping & restoring my iPhone to see if it fixes the battery drain. Have previously wiped/restored, but had restored from an iTunes backup and am pretty sure the culprit was in the backup. So, [dumb] question: would an iCloud backup restore give me the same results?

Also, what's the 'best practice' way to wipe & restore? (wipe & restore as new through iTunes, then restore iCloud backup; wipe & restore directly through iCloud on the phone, etc.)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: About to wipe/restore my 5s - question
Posted by: samintx
Date: May 02, 2016 05:39PM
do you keep airplane mode on or off? I have a 5c and the battery was only good for about 24 hrs.
Posted by: DP
Date: May 02, 2016 05:57PM
Or Bluetooth? My wife keeps her BT on for using in her car hands free. Battery life is poop.

Back to music...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Date: May 02, 2016 06:09PM
No airplane or bt - pretty much all 'frills' turned off
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 02, 2016 07:12PM
No airplane or bt - pretty much all 'frills' turned off

Does that include Location Services?

You should charge the 'Phone and turn of the Location Services master arm switch and watch the battery level.

Unless it's already off, there may be some app that's sucking the juice out of the battery. If the battery level is better, then it may be some vampire app sucking the life blood out of the battery.

I'm on 9.3.x and my battery life has been good at every update/upgrade for my 5s.

My iPad Mini 3 was going dead in two days with 9.2/9.3, maybe earlier iOSs. Culling various apps' access to Location Services and Background refresh made all right as rain.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 02, 2016 07:41PM
Will try that. Location svc is on, but I had set apps to either 'never' or 'only while using'
What app was your 'rogue' app on the Mini?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 02, 2016 09:00PM
What app was your 'rogue' app on the Mini?

I don't remember a specific app, but I turned several off.

One of the things that bothered me was seeing three or four apps that had Location Services on, when I don't remember giving them permission.

Normally, one installs an app and the first thing is the string of requests- "Such and Such would like to send you notifications… Such and Such would like to use your location…"

Most of these apps get a "No" from me, especially since some of them do not benefit for *me* by knowing my location. Yet some of those app were 'On' even though I'd never have allowed it.

Another thing is some apps have three status levels: Always On, On while open, and Never. Many others omit the On while open, forcing you to choose between Always and Never. Ticks me off.

There was a version of the FaceBook app (I never use FB) that tricked the OS into keeping it running in the background even though one did not give it that permission. I don't know what version of FB or iOS were involved, but FB updated the app to comply with the Garden rules.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 02, 2016 09:09PM
I really think I'm dealing with a rogue app. Hoping turning off location services will be the temporary fix so I can weed out the app. There's always the possibility that a coincidental hardware problem crept in when I went to 8.4 - hope this isn't the case!
Posted by: tenders
Date: May 03, 2016 11:40AM
Does 8.4 have the "Battery" item under Settings? It tells you what's been using your battery over the past 24 hours and 7 days. Definitely exists in iOS 9, and it's very useful for this circumstance. (We have 2 5s-es in our household and they both run well under iOS 9.)

How old is the battery on the 5s? Your symptoms sound a lot like those of a 2.5- or 3-year-old battery. It's not that hard to replace with a kit that comes with tools from Amazon. Actually it's kind of fun. 90 minutes start-to-finish, first time. Much less after that!
Date: May 03, 2016 12:33PM
I'm actually at the latest iOS and he placed the battery a couple months ago. I've been on every site I could find about battery drain and have tried almost all of the suggested fixes. My last ditch effort is to wipe & restore from iCloud this time. I'm testing Ram's suggestion about turning off Location Services - it's maybe helped slightly (but need to test further)
Posted by: tenders
Date: May 04, 2016 01:09PM
So, what is the "Battery" setting telling you? Seems like it was designed for this express purpose.
Date: May 04, 2016 10:28PM
A big culprit is low phone signal
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020