advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Understanding laptop RAM specs
Posted by: kap
Date: May 02, 2016 05:59PM
I am looking to buy a few 1 x 1 GB DDR 2100/2700 sticks for a couple of HP Compaq nx9030 laptops. New Egg has a several in stock, [www.newegg.com]. My question: I don't need to buy ones that are specifically made for the said laptop or do I?

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2016 06:00PM by kap.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Understanding laptop RAM specs
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 02, 2016 06:15PM
Without looking up specifics about that model having special requirements (like Apple models occasionally need), my initial response is anything that is DDR PC2700 should be fine.

Edit: you linked to DDR-2700, not DDR2.

Edit2: oops, misread DDR 2100/2700 as DDR2.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2016 06:22PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 02, 2016 06:23PM
Just make sure it also says 200 Pin, or SO-DIMM, so that it will physically fit in the laptop if it doesn't specify "laptop" in the description.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 02, 2016 07:20PM
Is the extra 1GB of ram going to make any difference? Those laptops must be ancient. That is G4 iBook vintage.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: May 02, 2016 07:40PM
C(-)ris
Is the extra 1GB of ram going to make any difference? Those laptops must be ancient. That is G4 iBook vintage.

These laptops are in an excellent condition...they were overstock; hence, hardly used if at all. AND, I have gotten them for free. I am fixing them up to give away to a couple of relatives. They only use them for word processing, light net-surfing, email and storing pictures. I'd figure these should do it fine running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit.
I wanted to install Ubuntu on them but one person is a senior citizen who has bare minimal understanding of said OS; the other is a youngster she can handle Ubuntu...I think.

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2016 07:42PM by kap.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 02, 2016 08:10PM
Can they take 4GB of ram? I can't imagine running Windows 7 on 2GB.

Chris

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: May 02, 2016 08:27PM
C(-)ris
Can they take 4GB of ram? I can't imagine running Windows 7 on 2GB.

Chris
Based on HP website and Crucial, these laptops' RAM are maxed out at 2 GB. Ubuntu runs well on that amount.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: May 02, 2016 08:46PM
I would put Ubuntu on both machines. Windows7 on 2gb of ram won't be doing anybody any favors, you can always give them windows later if they can't figure out Ubuntu. If they're just doing simple things, it probably won't make much difference, any more.
Date: May 02, 2016 10:40PM
Octave Doctor
I would put Ubuntu on both machines. Windows7 on 2gb of ram won't be doing anybody any favors, you can always give them windows later if they can't figure out Ubuntu. If they're just doing simple things, it probably won't make much difference, any more.

As previously mentioned, the youngster can handle it; the senior citizen not. Perhaps, I should downgrade to Windows 7 Starter? As for the former, is Open Office 100% compatible with Word?

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 02, 2016 11:08PM
If you can score a copy of XP Pro, you might be better off depending on the specs of the freebie machines. We have an old Compaq laptop maxed at 2GB of that RAM, that originally came w/ 128MB. It has a discrete 64MB Radeon 7500 Mobility graphics card, and it's running XP Pro SP3, but Win7 needs at least 4GB RAM. Light surfing, word processing and email are bearable under XP, but old folks probably won't know the difference, like they likely would w/ Win7 w/ only 2GB.
==
Date: May 02, 2016 11:20PM
Buzz
If you can score a copy of XP Pro, you might be better off depending on the specs of the freebie machines. We have an old Compaq laptop maxed at 2GB of that RAM, that originally came w/ 128MB. It has a discrete 64MB Radeon 7500 Mobility graphics card, and it's running XP Pro SP3, but Win7 needs at least 4GB RAM. Light surfing, word processing and email are bearable under XP, but old folks probably won't know the difference, like they likely would w/ Win7 w/ only 2GB.
==

Yes, I have a retail copy of XP SP2. Should I not be concerned about security as MS has stopped supporting it; hence, there are no more updates?

SoCal for now.
Date: May 02, 2016 11:22PM
Windows 7 isn't getting many security updates, and any version of XP is a security wasteland. I think the only thing they are good for is running the few 10 year old video games that won't run on a newer OS.

I wouldn't give a Linux machine to anybody over 60 unless they showed an aptitude for computers.

Get as many free machines as possible and sell them, use the money to buy more recent machine with 4 GB running Win10, or maybe newer Chrome laptops if you want to cheap out and think they can deal with the Google.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: May 02, 2016 11:50PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Windows 7 isn't getting many security updates, and any version of XP is a security wasteland. I think the only thing they are good for is running the few 10 year old video games that won't run on a newer OS.

I wouldn't give a Linux machine to anybody over 60 unless they showed an aptitude for computers.

Get as many free machines as possible and sell them, use the money to buy more recent machine with 4 GB running Win10, or maybe newer Chrome laptops if you want to cheap out and think they can deal with the Google.

Nope, I don't have the luxury of getting any more free laptops :-( With such limitation on RAM, I must agree that the best solution is to install Ubuntu, and XP SP2 on these two machines. Now the questions is which version of Ubuntun 32-bit?

SoCal for now.
Date: May 03, 2016 12:13AM
I would say the most recent version of LTS, which looks like 16.04. silvarios is better for Linux recommendations than I am.

Update to SP3 if you can figure it out (download and burn it to another disc/USB-stick with the SP2 installer). I think SP2 was dropped from security updates 2 years before SP3.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: JEBB
Date: May 03, 2016 05:44AM
Octave Doctor

In my experience Linux Mint is a better choice than Ubuntu. It's UI makes it easy to use and it ooks a great deal like XP or Win 7.
Date: May 03, 2016 08:57AM
JEBB
Octave Doctor

In my experience Linux Mint is a better choice than Ubuntu. It's UI makes it easy to use and it ooks a great deal like XP or Win 7.

Ubuntu contains most drivers. Does Linux Mint? I don't want to spend time hunting them down.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: May 03, 2016 08:28PM
Ubuntu was an easy install on the Curbside Upgrade Laptop, and I'd never messed with Linux before. Was going to put an OS X skin on it, but thought I'd give it a try as-is. I haven't had much trouble with it.
Date: May 03, 2016 09:03PM
Since Netbooks of less than 2 GB of RAM have Windows 7 Starter. A more robust laptop should do fine, no?

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2016 09:04PM by kap.
Posted by: JEBB
Date: May 08, 2016 07:38PM
kap

Ubuntu contains most drivers. Does Linux Mint? I don't want to spend time hunting them down.

Linux Mint is built on Ubuntu so it probably has the same drivers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 195
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020