advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone used Macrium Reflect Free to clone a Windows 7 notebook?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 11, 2016 01:11PM
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has experience using Macrium Reflect Free. I'd like to create a clone backup of my wife's HP notebook the same way I use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my Macs. Macrium Reflect Free appears to perform this type of function.

The app seems easy enough to use for clones and I've got an external drive ready for the job. I was hoping other members of the forum have used Macrium Reflect Free and could relay their experiences with it. Anyone ever tried it with their Windows machines? Any experiences would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone used Macrium Reflect Free to clone a Windows 7 notebook?
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: May 11, 2016 01:16PM
Did you know the first cloned Windows notebook was named Delly?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 11, 2016 02:16PM
Not for Win7, but for Win8.0 before I updated to 8.1. I used it to clone the special Lenovo partition(s) and C:\ to a SSD before I installed it. The default Lenovo method kept failing. Takes a little fiddling to figure out what to do if the drive you are cloning to is smaller than the original, even if all the data should fit.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2016 02:16PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 11, 2016 02:33PM
Filliam,

That won't be an issue. the external is twice the capacity of the OEM drive in the machine.

Robert
Posted by: rouderon
Date: May 11, 2016 03:44PM
That's the one I recommend! I've tried several of the free windows cloning software, and even the Acronis True Image software that came with some SSD's I recently bought, and still keep coming back to Macirum. If I recall, it even gives the option to only clone the data that's on the master drive - so if you're cloning to a smaller drive [that you want to be your new boot drive] and have enough space, you can still clone the larger master drive.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 12, 2016 09:09AM
I use it to clone my work computer. But I've never been able to figure out how to clone JUST the stuff that has changed. Like CCC. Every time I run it, it clones the whole drive again. I've emailed them and they said that you could do that, but I've never figured out how.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020