advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mbp 17" streaming heat, is it ok? Do i need a cooling stand?
Posted by: MacDoxy
Date: May 24, 2016 10:53AM
MBP 17" early 2011
2.2 i7
8gb ram
OS 10.9.2

I started running streaming tests (twitch), works fine but it causes the fans to go on right away
I have it on a stand where the back is lifted 1/4 inch to leave space underneath the mbp, and the fan is clear.

I want to begin to stream for several hours at a time. Is the heat dangerous/destructive for the mbp?
Is getting one of those stands with fans in it helpful at all or stupid?

A few months ago apple replaced the motherboard free, idk if heat effects this.

Up to this point i had babied the mbp, using mostly for adobe ps and ill.

TIA!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mbp 17" streaming heat, is it ok? Do i need a cooling stand?
Posted by: bruceko
Date: May 24, 2016 11:49AM
Probably heading to a Mb/video card failure. Problem seems to be related to a failure of the Thermal paste for the heat sink.
It is a well know problem
Date: May 24, 2016 02:07PM
What youre saying is Even if it shows no other issue, the fans coming on means i could hurt the mac, right?
Is there a way around this?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 24, 2016 02:19PM
Have you tried blowing it out with some canned air? Could be dust bunnies in there....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 24, 2016 02:34PM
.....only if you wanna' be cool.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: hal
Date: May 24, 2016 03:31PM
anonymouse1
Have you tried blowing it out with some canned air? Could be dust bunnies in there....

!!!!!!!

This is step one...
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 24, 2016 03:39PM
Your Mac should automagically lower CPU usage to prevent overheating.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: May 24, 2016 04:54PM
Ok. I can be alarmist, lol. I just never ran it for hours doing something intensive and i like to err on side of caution, idk
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 24, 2016 04:55PM
Give way the 2011s tend to fail, I'd get one of those cooling bases for it.
Date: May 24, 2016 04:56PM
hal
anonymouse1

!!!!!!!

This is step one...

Are you saying you think i should have to take it apart to do the grease thing?
Posted by: hal
Date: May 24, 2016 05:13PM
MacDoxy
hal
anonymouse1

!!!!!!!

This is step one...

Are you saying you think i should have to take it apart to do the grease thing?

God NO! Blow out the dust - you don't grease the fan bearings. If the fan isn't working properly after being cleaned, you simply replace it.

Likely, you computer looks like this:

I've seen MUCH worse, but after 5 years, it is ABSOLUTELY time to clean out your fans unless you work in a cleanroom
Posted by: bwicklander
Date: May 24, 2016 06:08PM
You have the same MBP I have. Are you streaming flash? Silverlight? Make sure those apps are up to date. I use my MBP to scrunch video and the fans are on during that. I stream from Netflix and rarely my fans come on. If there is anything flash it sets off my fans. Apple replaced almost every part, except my fans in February. I use a cooling stand - anything to keep it cool. I love my MBP and wish there was a newer 17" model to buy. It's a great machine.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 24, 2016 06:40PM
MacDoxy
A few months ago apple replaced the motherboard free, idk if heat effects this.

So I doubt you will see a lot of dust build up. However the Apple tech may have done a poor job of applying thermal paste which will cause your fans to ramp up. What is your %CPU use in Activity Monitor during the streaming?

Also download and install this:

Intel Power Gadget

It will tell you your CPU temp, CPU speed and GFX speed (if you're using integrated GFX), and CPU Power use in watts.
Date: May 24, 2016 06:42PM
Lew Zealand
Also download and install this:

Intel Power Gadget

It will tell you your CPU temp, CPU speed and GFX speed (if you're using integrated GFX), and CPU Power use in watts.

As an example, while I'm typing this, I'm using ~5.5W combined CPU&GPU, CPU chattering around 1.4GHz, GPU flat at 0.35 GHz, Temp apout 51.5°C. 2012 Quad 2.6 Mini.
Date: May 24, 2016 07:35PM
I'm not talking about netflix, it does that fine. I mean streaming stuff via camera onto the internet like twitch.
Also by grease i meant thermal paste.

If i do the intel power gadget, how do i know its bad and what would i do if it was ?

TIA smiling smiley
Date: May 25, 2016 12:44PM
If your CPU temp goes up to the design limit (usually 85-105°C, depending on the chip) very quickly (ie: within 5 seconds) under load and takes a long time to come back down (say, more than 30 seconds), then there may be a heat problem. Also if the chip doesn't Turbo to close to it's upper limit and stay close to there, but instead it clocks way down in less than a minute of use, then there may be a heat problem.
Date: May 25, 2016 12:54PM
You have a Core i7-2720QM in there. Your 2.2 GHz chip will Turbo to 3.0 GHz running all 4 cores and to 3.3 with a single core. Apple cooling is well designed to let the CPU run close to this Turbo limit under full load, occasionally clocking down a .1GHz increment or 3 when it gets too hot. If you're running something graphic-intensive, that will clock down further, possibly back down to 2.2 if you're running a 3D game.

Streaming video from this machine may be processor intensive if it's doing real-time analog video capture/digitizing and then delivery over a network, but if the camera is just delivering a digital stream to the Mac and it's then delivering that same digital stream elsewhere, that shouldn't tax it at all. I do this using EyeTV for OTA broadcasts. My 2.3 i5 dual core 2011 Mac Mini captures the raw OTA stream (through a USB-connected an EyeTV One) and saves it on the hard drive, and I view that stream on a Mac in another room. So it's receiving one stream and sending it out at the same time.

But there is no data conversion step for what I'm doing. If your setup does a data conversion step (ie: Video converting/transcoding), this certainly can use all 4 of your cores and get that fan running. When the MBP is doing this, what is the CPU use in Activity Monitor?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2016 12:58PM by Lew Zealand.
Date: May 25, 2016 05:55PM
I opened it up and it was full of le bunnies de dust! I,m going to get air to blow it out tonight and then run that app and get back to you guys. Thx. I'll post back smiling smiley
Date: May 25, 2016 05:57PM
Btw what I want is to stream artmaking from a logitech c920 webcam to twitch. It works. I just want to be sure i can do 5 hour streams.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 48
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020