advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Almost one less bike rider in the world today
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: May 25, 2016 10:33PM
So I'm driving down one of our back roads this afternoon and suddenly this guy on a bike blows - and I mean he was standing up pumping - through a stop sign to my left and almost gets slammed by my Suburban. I would have nailed him square on dead center hood. I locked em up, swerved to my right and missed him by inches. The wife and dogs went flying and the whole time this guy just kept pumping and stared at ME like I was the one at fault! WTF is wrong with people?

If he was a local and knew the area he should have stopped because the road he flew across is 35mph and has moderate traffic including trucks and farm equipment. There are also several houses in the area with their own traffic. It is not the kind of area you should assume there will be no traffic.

If he wasn't a local then maybe where he comes from they don't have those big red signs that tell you to STOP and look both ways before you enter a main road. What?...they have them everywhere? Well, anyway he looked smart. He had the bike pants, the bike shirt, the bike helmet, the bike gloves and even one of those cute bike rear view mirror right by my eye thingies! But he never slowed down and just kept going. Idiot.

This whole incident reminded me of one of those Russian dash cam videos you see on YouTube except this time no one got hurt. If I was going faster or not paying attention things could have turned out very different.

I tend to be a cautious (not to be confused with slow and indecisive) driver and I'm very aware of others on the road. I normally try to give bikes and motorcycles a wide berth but no matter how careful you are there always seems to be someone else not paying attention to the road.

Keep your eyes open folks because you never know when the excrement's gonna hit the rotary oscillator!

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Almost one less bike rider in the world today
Posted by: davester
Date: May 25, 2016 10:40PM
Well, I'm a bike rider and I readily admit that there are a number of moronic bike riders on the road like the one you describe. However, there are far more moronic car drivers (simply because car drivers are more numerous) who will pass a bicyclist and then immediately turn right across their path and mow them down or come very close to (This happens to me all the time!). Note also that almost nobody is killed by an errant bike rider whereas pedestrian/bicycle deaths due to errant car driving is huge. The fact of the matter is, almost all those bike riders out there are also car drivers, and a small number of car drivers are also bike riders (i.e. they're the same people). The upshot is...many people are morons. Watch out for those ones, no matter what they're driving/riding.

Oh, another thing...It is quite common for me to come to a busy 4-way stop on my bike, and have car drivers refuse to acknowledge my existence and not allow me to cross the intersection when I have come to a complete stop and have the right of way. I've almost been hit a number of times in such instances. Also, most cars do not come to a complete stop (they usually coast through at about walking speed) but if I dare do the same I usually get an earful from the car drivers.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2016 10:44PM by davester.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 25, 2016 10:53PM
Dash cam.

Also, I hope you laid on the horn to let him know you know he screwed up.

I know a person who was sued because a kid on a bike flew through a stop sign and hit his .
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: May 25, 2016 10:56PM
I usually ride in the early evening (6:00-8:00) since the traffic's died down, and most of the real dummies have gone home by then. That doesn't mean I'm not still wary.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: May 25, 2016 11:32PM
I'm an avid cyclist and I loathe these clowns who blow through stops and lights when cars are anywhere near. Good on you for being alert. I usually tell people to call the cops on these morans...they make those of us who ride responsibly and predictably look terrible.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 25, 2016 11:39PM
Glad you and your family are okay, and good on you for the reaction time that avoided a fatal lesson in physics.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: May 25, 2016 11:41PM
davester
...However, there are far more moronic car drivers (simply because car drivers are more numerous) who will pass a bicyclist and then immediately turn right across their path and mow them down or come very close to (This happens to me all the time!).

Check! This is how I got my second bicycling concussion...

=wr=
Date: May 25, 2016 11:57PM
cbelt3
Glad you and your family are okay, and good on you for the reaction time that avoided a fatal lesson in physics.

Whose family are you talking about? He was driving a car. There's no way that a bicyclist could injure anybody in a car.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 26, 2016 12:04AM
My husband rides his bike everywhere and has had a few close calls. On the other hand, there's no denying that a lot of bike riders think they can zoom around ignoring traffic laws and that's just dangerous. I think bikes should have little licenses on the back so they could be cited when they break traffic laws.

Date: May 26, 2016 12:33AM
davester
cbelt3

Whose family are you talking about? He was driving a car. There's no way that a bicyclist could injure anybody in a car.

That's where you're wrong. In trying to avoid a collision I veered right. Had there been a tree or another vehicle there I may have been injured trying to avoid killing this @#$%&. No, a bicycle impact with a vehicle is going to damage the bike but the chain of events that may be set in motion could also injure the driver and passengers of the vehicle.

I've ridden bikes most of my life and sleds (snowmobiles) for over twenty years. I've been hit on my bike twice, door opened on and done the wheel in the rail road tracks thing. I've also had my share of sled mishaps. As stated in the OP I'm very aware of my surroundings while driving. This moron had a death wish.

- Jack D.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 26, 2016 12:34AM
davester
cbelt3

You missed the part where he said the wife and dogs went flying because he had to lock up the brakes to keep from hitting the cyclist?

Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 26, 2016 01:08AM
What gets to me is the attitude of the people who almost cause wrecks like the one you described. I've had similar situations and almost universally they will give me the bird or honk at me like it's somehow my fault they ran a stop sign...

I'm so glad you and your family are safe. A close call like that can really shake a person up.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: IronMac
Date: May 26, 2016 02:18AM
Octave Doctor
I usually ride in the early evening (6:00-8:00) since the traffic's died down, and most of the real dummies have gone home by then. That doesn't mean I'm not still wary.

Dawn and dusk are among the most dangerous times.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: May 26, 2016 04:32AM
davester
cbelt3

Pretty easy for someone in a car to get hurt when the driver jams on the brakes. Also pretty easy for a full on accident to occur when a driver is avoiding a collision. Plenty of ways to get hurt

Why are you such an @#$%&?

All the time..in correcting people..you go out of your way to be an @#$%&. You must be very unhappy about something in your life.
Date: May 26, 2016 04:39AM
davester
Well, I'm a bike rider and I readily admit that there are a number of moronic bike riders on the road like the one you describe. However, there are far more moronic car drivers (simply because car drivers are more numerous) who will pass a bicyclist and then immediately turn right across their path and mow them down or come very close to (This happens to me all the time!). Note also that almost nobody is killed by an errant bike rider whereas pedestrian/bicycle deaths due to errant car driving is huge. The fact of the matter is, almost all those bike riders out there are also car drivers, and a small number of car drivers are also bike riders (i.e. they're the same people). The upshot is...many people are morons. Watch out for those ones, no matter what they're driving/riding.

Oh, another thing...It is quite common for me to come to a busy 4-way stop on my bike, and have car drivers refuse to acknowledge my existence and not allow me to cross the intersection when I have come to a complete stop and have the right of way. I've almost been hit a number of times in such instances. Also, most cars do not come to a complete stop (they usually coast through at about walking speed) but if I dare do the same I usually get an earful from the car drivers.

In cities that were built for cars, bikers need to realize that many many times, bikers are extremely difficult to see, for any number of reasons..and the fact that they are riding in the right lane? Well..think about it..it goes completely against the grain in terms of traffic concept..Bikers need to be extremely cautious about cars when approaching any intersection...IMO, it's up to them to be ore defensive in some sense. I ride a bike around Chicago and I drive very defensively..I see many more stupid moves made by my biker peers than I do the folks driving cars..period.
Posted by: Pam
Date: May 26, 2016 05:50AM
Don't forget psychological injury. If he had hit the cyclist and killed him, Jack and his wife would have to deal with the images and emotions for a long time.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 26, 2016 06:03AM
While there are moron car drivers, it's been my experience that the percentage of lousy bikers far outnumbers the percentage of lousy car drivers. If I see a biker I assume they're going to do something stupid. 99% of the time I'm right. Not the same percentage with car drivers.

Posted by: yeoman
Date: May 26, 2016 07:02AM
mrbigstuff
Dash cam.

Get two. I have a second pointing back because I've been rear ended twice, in slow speed traffic congestion, by drivers texting. The cost of a dash cam pails in comparison with the hassle of dealing with insurance even if I'm blameless. Got the first dash cam after my wife was backed into by an elderly driver. She was assessed 10% of the responsibility (and cost) despite being stationary and blowing the horn (turns out he was deaf). That's when I bought the first dash cam. It's like insurance - you hope you never need it but if there's ever a dispute, like whether the horn was used, then next time we've got the proof.
Date: May 26, 2016 07:04AM
Pam
Don't forget psychological injury. If he had hit the cyclist and killed him, Jack and his wife would have to deal with the images and emotions for a long time.

I tel ya, during the incident I wanted in the worst way not to run over this fahkstick. But as soon as I was clear I wanted to kill him! Instead I laid on the horn and thought about going after him and...and...I don't know. Run him over for being stupid? Take him to the Police? Just laugh at his silly bicycle clothes? By the time I hit the horn he was already out of sight so what's the point?

So cooler heads prevailed and I immediately thought better of chasing him due to the potential (better than 95% chance) wrath of the wife and further escalating tensions when I caught him. I'm hoping he was as shaken up as I was and will think differently next time.

- Jack D.

Date: May 26, 2016 07:29AM
bazookaman
While there are moron car drivers, it's been my experience that the percentage of lousy bikers far outnumbers the percentage of lousy car drivers. If I see a biker I assume they're going to do something stupid. 99% of the time I'm right. Not the same percentage with car drivers.

Completely agree and I'm a long time city biker..I think a lot of it is dumb young blood..but there is a definite self entitlement going on with bike riders that needs to chill..can't tell you how many times these numb nuts have almost put me in a position that would serious alter my life and their life..
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 26, 2016 07:47AM
Thanks for your quick reflexes! Hopefully the close call will wake him up. As frustrating as these incidents may be, nobody deserves to pay with their life.

...and yes, dashcams are a good idea. I use one on my bike and it seems it would be as likely to protect a driver as a cyclist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 07:47AM by mattkime.
Posted by: rz
Date: May 26, 2016 08:04AM
We drive through a not-so-great section of town to drop-off and pick-up our son from school. We see people riding bikes in this area a lot. Within the last week, my wife and I both came close to hitting someone. For me, I was going through an intersection where we had the green light. There was a lot of traffic, three lanes in each direction, all going about 35-40 mph. A guy comes shooting over across a very small break in the traffic causing all 3 lanes of traffic to slam on our breaks and swerve. I was amazed that I didn't see or hear any accidents.

My wife was driving up the turn lane to his school... it starts as a merge lane, then eventually becomes the turn lane. As she's coming up it, a guy on a bike is coming down it in the opposite direction, refusing to move over into the actual bike lane, or the sidewalk. She had to swerve into the traffic lane (thankfully nobody was there) to avoid hitting him.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: May 26, 2016 08:09AM
SteveO
I'm an avid cyclist and I loathe these clowns who blow through stops and lights when cars are anywhere near. Good on you for being alert. I usually tell people to call the cops on these morans...they make those of us who ride responsibly and predictably look terrible.

I second calling the cops on this, if nothing else to alert them that the cyclist isn't following the rules of the road at this particular spot. It may not be the first time they've "almost" been hit.

That said moron bike riders make it difficult for the rest of us that follow the rules of the road.
Date: May 26, 2016 08:11AM
Kraniac
davester

In cities that were built for cars, bikers need to realize that many many times, bikers are extremely difficult to see, for any number of reasons..and the fact that they are riding in the right lane? Well..think about it..it goes completely against the grain in terms of traffic concept..Bikers need to be extremely cautious about cars when approaching any intersection...IMO, it's up to them to be ore defensive in some sense. I ride a bike around Chicago and I drive very defensively..I see many more stupid moves made by my biker peers than I do the folks driving cars..period.

Come to NY/NJ if you want to see a LOT of stupid moves by cars.
Date: May 26, 2016 08:40AM
I used to live in New York..in the 80's - and I'm there quite often these days..both parties are guilty. It depends on who you're affiliated with as far as making a call on guilt..New York is just different in a lot of ways. IMO, Chicago has implemented some really stupid bike infrastructure..keep in mind, I ride. Some of the bike lanes are fine but there areas, quite a few where they are jamming square pegs in round holes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 08:42AM by Kraniac.
Date: May 26, 2016 08:41AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 08:42AM by Kraniac.
Date: May 26, 2016 08:55AM
Kraniac
I used to live in New York..in the 80's - and I'm there quite often these days..both parties are guilty. It depends on who you're affiliated with as far as making a call on guilt..New York is just different in a lot of ways. IMO, Chicago has implemented some really stupid bike infrastructure..keep in mind, I ride. Some of the bike lanes are fine but there areas, quite a few where they are jamming square pegs in round holes.

Have you checked out the bike lanes in NYC yet? They are the ones that make the most sense so far of the ones I've seen - someone put some thought into it rather than trying to jam them in.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 26, 2016 09:02AM
Along with the cam:

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: May 26, 2016 10:51AM
Lizabeth
Kraniac

Have you checked out the bike lanes in NYC yet? They are the ones that make the most sense so far of the ones I've seen - someone put some thought into it rather than trying to jam them in.

they're somewhat similar to those in chicago...I do not like the two way lanes in high pedestrian traffic areas in Chicago..downtown..they are a hazard..lot of tourists there and they don't expect two direction traffic on one way streets..awful concept. Goes against basic expectations.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 26, 2016 12:31PM
Kraniac
Lizabeth
Kraniac

they're somewhat similar to those in chicago...I do not like the two way lanes in high pedestrian traffic areas in Chicago..downtown..they are a hazard..lot of tourists there and they don't expect two direction traffic on one way streets..awful concept. Goes against basic expectations.

Cycle track. I'd disagree about expectations. True, it is some amount of conditioning that when one sees cars a lane away, one may not expect another mode to hit them, but as soon as one leaves the sidewalk, it is no longer a pedestrian only zone. That is the part people should be made aware of. BTW, I am against the green pavement painting of bike infrastructure; it does confuse people a bit and makes the pedestrian subservient to the vehicle, in this case, a bike.
Date: May 26, 2016 02:02PM
mrbigstuff
Kraniac
Lizabeth
Kraniac

Cycle track. I'd disagree about expectations. True, it is some amount of conditioning that when one sees cars a lane away, one may not expect another mode to hit them, but as soon as one leaves the sidewalk, it is no longer a pedestrian only zone. That is the part people should be made aware of. BTW, I am against the green pavement painting of bike infrastructure; it does confuse people a bit and makes the pedestrian subservient to the vehicle, in this case, a bike.

Not sure..I've seen SO many people almost nailed by bikers coming in the direction opposite auto flow on our one ways..I've almost been popped a couple of times to..and people get pissssssssed.
Date: May 26, 2016 02:46PM
Kraniac
mrbigstuff
Kraniac
Lizabeth
Kraniac

Not sure..I've seen SO many people almost nailed by bikers coming in the direction opposite auto flow on our one ways..I've almost been popped a couple of times to..and people get pissssssssed.

That's where I'd love to see the cops crackdown on bikes/pedistrians that are being morons especially on one way streets. I've almost gotten nailed a couple of times too - now I look both ways.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 26, 2016 06:44PM
wave rider
davester
...However, there are far more moronic car drivers (simply because car drivers are more numerous) who will pass a bicyclist and then immediately turn right across their path and mow them down or come very close to (This happens to me all the time!).

Just so you know, once a cars rear bumper is in front of your front tire and there is a 3 second gap at the speed of traffic the car has the right of way. Obviously this isn't always what happens but living in a high bike area I have seen plenty of cyclists get mad at cars "cutting them off" that really didn't break any law.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: wave rider
Date: May 26, 2016 07:16PM
In this instance, the car driver turned just in front of me and then stopped dead. I swerved hard left, missed just clearing the left edge of her bumper and flew over her trunk. Woke up sitting on the pavement, nice off duty nurse drove me immediately to the hospital.

I can only imagine the driver knew she had cut me off and had stopped to let me pass on the right. The Bell Biker(TM) helmet, one of the first hard shell bike helmets came on the market, and I got one. Have warn a helmet ever since.

It saved my head a few years later when I was clipped by a taxi that ran a red light...

C(-)ris
wave rider
davester

Just so you know, once a cars rear bumper is in front of your front tire and there is a 3 second gap at the speed of traffic the car has the right of way. Obviously this isn't always what happens but living in a high bike area I have seen plenty of cyclists get mad at cars "cutting them off" that really didn't break any law.

=wr=
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 26, 2016 08:07PM
C(-)ris
Just so you know, once a cars rear bumper is in front of your front tire and there is a 3 second gap at the speed of traffic the car has the right of way.

This could vary from state to state.

It is what it is.
Date: May 26, 2016 09:12PM
N-OS X-tasy!
C(-)ris
Just so you know, once a cars rear bumper is in front of your front tire and there is a 3 second gap at the speed of traffic the car has the right of way.

I've never heard of this and it sounds ridiculous. The only 3 second rule I know of is a rule of thumb for safe following distances that is cited in many drivers manuals that applies to the car following. I googled and found nothing about right of way. Cite please?

Also, 3 seconds at speed of traffic is a heck of a long way. Those folks we're talking about who turn right cutting off bicyclists typically do so as before they've completely passed or less than a second after passing, so this would be irrelevant anyway, even if it were correct.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 09:13PM by davester.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 26, 2016 10:05PM
davester
N-OS X-tasy!
C(-)ris

I've never heard of this and it sounds ridiculous. The only 3 second rule I know of is a rule of thumb for safe following distances that is cited in many drivers manuals that applies to the car following. I googled and found nothing about right of way. Cite please?

Also, 3 seconds at speed of traffic is a heck of a long way. Those folks we're talking about who turn right cutting off bicyclists typically do so as before they've completely passed or less than a second after passing, so this would be irrelevant anyway, even if it were correct.

The car in front always has the right of way. Generally speaking the laws say that once you pass someone on the left to allow a safe distance and then move back into the lane in front of them. The 3 second rule of safe distance is generally regarded as what is a safe distance after you pass to merge back in. Once you do that, or whatever your state says for the rule on merging back after passing, the car(or bike) must yield to the vehicle in front of them. Even if that vehicle slams on their brakes or makes a turn abruptly.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: May 26, 2016 10:12PM
davester
N-OS X-tasy!
C(-)ris

I imagine this is something that varies from city to city, let alone state to state. The laws here are not clear, and that makes matters a lot worse. Around here, if there's a bike lane on the right, cars turning right over the bike lane have to yield no matter where the cyclist is. It's the cyclist's lane.

Here, state laws it that bikes are cars. They have "all rights and responsibilities of motor vehicles". Drivers, rightly, think that's the case. But then the state says they can ride on sidewalks "except in business districts." But wait, cities can make their own laws that contradict that. Cyclists can pass on the right. They can come to a stop light, then get in front of cars waiting for the light.

You can get a DUI while biking. But wait, you can't. There's a law firm dedicated to just these issues, sadly. For example, they claim it's legal for a cyclist to move from a lane of traffic, into a crosswalk, and back into traffic just to avoid a stop sign. But the city DOT and the city police say otherwise. A little while back we witnessed a cyclist do this at about 30-40mph so he could blow through a four way stop. He got nailed. While he was being loaded into the ambulance, the cop wrote him a ticket.

But the law firm says cyclists can do this.

It's also complicated by self-proclaimed "militant" cyclists who, in addition to advocating for physical violence against anyone who owns a car, fight to remove lanes of traffic just to fight against drivers. Sometimes they put in bike lanes cyclists don't want. For example, there's a long arterial that parallels a large side street. The side street is rarely used, but since it used to be a trolly line, it's pretty wide. Many wanted the bike lane to go down that road to keep it away from cars. But the car haters fought to take out lanes of traffic and won. The city said it will make it easier for cyclists to find the bike route. I would have greatly preferred a dedicated bike lane on a low traffic side street over the sharrows on an arterial.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Date: May 27, 2016 11:56AM
>>Many wanted the bike lane to go down that road to keep it away from cars. But the car haters fought to take out lanes of traffic and won.

Wow, thats a heck of a lot different than things here in nyc. the bike lane proposals go before community boards which are packed with people who have a vested interest in making sure nothing changes. gasps are heard whenever parking spots are removed. it often seems like local politics is simply about parking spots.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 27, 2016 12:18PM
.....and.....two less lonely.....people in the world.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 27, 2016 12:40PM
mattkime
it often seems like local politics is simply about parking spots.

That is certainly true in the neighborhood where I live. It's the reason cited for wishing there were no buses, no bike lanes, no ZipCars, no nothing that might ease congestion on our roads. Then they bitch about all the congestion on our roads. Our waterfront promenade was recently opened up to bikers who will now be barreling along among the pedestrians, children, dog walkers, and strollers because it got the bikers off the road so they could stop irritating car drivers.

BTW, my husband has almost been hit several times because a driver made a right on red without caring that my husband was right next to them on his bike. Drivers tend to look only to the left for their chance to go right on red, never looking to the right for pedestrians or bikers who may be crossing in front of them on the green. It's very unnerving and downright dangerous. I think right on red should be banned from busy urban intersections.

Date: May 27, 2016 06:01PM
>>I think right on red should be banned from busy urban intersections.

Its illegal in nyc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 71
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020