advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Swapped refrigerators yesterday
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: May 30, 2016 09:47PM
So my neighbor has moved and I bought her 2 year old side by side fridge with ice and water in the door to replace my 25 (at least!) yo over/under (still working great) fridge w/o water and ice in the door. It's been so long since I've moved anyone's fridge that I've forgotten what a huge pain in the arse moving fridges are!

She paid around $1700 for this beast and I scored it for $200. Not a bad deal for a behemoth that is probably twice what I need but the lure of the ice and water was too great to pass up. Imagine, all the ice you can use without having to fill those little trays endlessly...day and night, night and day.... This may not seem like a big deal for those of you that are used to getting your ice with no physical labor but to me it's like we just got our first electric light bulb.

Of course I did go shopping today and bought a large bag of ice to fill the hopper with....seems you have to have a water supply source to make the ice with. Stupid ice maker. Now I need to get all the bits to hook into the plumbing so I won't need to buy ice either. Oh well, I guess there's no such thing as a free lunch or free ice.

The most interesting thing about this project was emptying the freezer. When was the last time you looked at the dates on some of the frozen stuff way at the back? Found some sausages from the 70's still wearing bell bottoms and a hunk of wooly mammoth from the last ice age. Mammoth steaks are probably still good but the bell bottoms are definitely going! Most of the dated/freezer burned stuff I'll cook up for the dogs because, let's face it, dogs are not gourmands and at least it won't go to waste.

Well, despite myself I find I'm slowly being dragged into the 20th century. Today automatic ice, tomorrow maybe a dish washer and indoor plumbing. There's no end to the excitement of life! hamster dance

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Swapped refrigerators yesterday
Posted by: billb
Date: May 30, 2016 09:56PM
dish washers talk too much
but whereas you've already gone done spoiled with crushed ice
take it slow
one appliance at a time

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: May 30, 2016 10:13PM
billb
dish washers talk too much
but whereas you've already gone done spoiled with crushed ice
take it slow
one appliance at a time

I will. Don't want to rush these things. Been thinking of looking at those new portable telephones too, I hope I can adjust to livin' in the future.

- Jack D.

Posted by: davester
If the oldie is really 25 years old you'll probably see a change in your electric bill...for the better!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mstudio
Jack D.
Of course I did go shopping today and bought a large bag of ice to fill the hopper with....seems you have to have a water supply source to make the ice with. Stupid ice maker. Now I need to get all the bits to hook into the plumbing so I won't need to buy ice either.

Well, despite myself I find I'm slowly being dragged into the 20th century. Today automatic ice, tomorrow maybe a dish washer and indoor plumbing. There's no end to the excitement of life!

Congrats on the new fridge. Hooking up the water line for ice is very easy. You can buy a kit for bout 25 bucks. If your sink is nearby, it's a simple tap into your cold water line. I finally got around to hooking mine up and not having to buy ice has been great. BTW, we've never owned a dish washer...
Date: May 30, 2016 10:19PM
davester
If the oldie is really 25 years old you'll probably see a change in your electric bill...for the better!

That would be great! Our 'lectric bill averages $55 month* and it would be nice to see this go down!

*I know this is cheap. Merrimac has it's own generating plant so we're off the grid price wise.

- Jack D.

Date: May 30, 2016 10:24PM
mstudio
Jack D.
Of course I did go shopping today and bought a large bag of ice to fill the hopper with....seems you have to have a water supply source to make the ice with. Stupid ice maker. Now I need to get all the bits to hook into the plumbing so I won't need to buy ice either.

Well, despite myself I find I'm slowly being dragged into the 20th century. Today automatic ice, tomorrow maybe a dish washer and indoor plumbing. There's no end to the excitement of life!

Congrats on the new fridge. Hooking up the water line for ice is very easy. You can buy a kit for bout 25 bucks. If your sink is nearby, it's a simple tap into your cold water line. I finally got around to hooking mine up and not having to buy ice has been great. BTW, we've never owned a dish washer...

I installed the "new" fridge at my neighbors when she bought it and I kept all the leftover hardware and tubing from the original plumbing hook up so the only thing I really need is the 1/4" T for my cold water feed. That is assuming nothing unexpected pops up because we all know there are never any surprises in plumbing projects!

As far as dish washers go, with 4 dogs in the house a dish washer just seems like a waste. There's never a problem with the pre-soak!

- Jack D.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2016 10:55PM by Jack D..
Posted by: ADent
Date: May 31, 2016 01:16AM
That new refrigerator will not last 25 years.

Ours is 10 and I have fixed the ice maker twice and replaced the noisy fan, one of the main circuit boards, ice level sensor, and broken shelf once.

The first ice maker was under warranty, but the rest was pretty cheap since I did the work myself.
Posted by: IronMac
Date: May 31, 2016 01:36AM
What happened to the neighbor?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 31, 2016 03:32AM
IronMac

Noticed he never mentioned getting rid of the old refrigerator/freezer, or what he was keeping in it... smiley-shocked003

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Date: May 31, 2016 05:08AM
Ombligo
IronMac

Noticed he never mentioned getting rid of the old refrigerator/freezer, or what he was keeping in it... smiley-shocked003

The wife is in the freezer but my neighbor has moved to an elderly housing complex down the street. She now has a new smaller fridge w/o ice in the door.

That new refrigerator will not last 25 years.

I hate to get rid of the old stuff, especially if it's still working OK. I also doubt I can get 25 years from the new iron but we all know they don't build anything to last anymore. It seems like we're in a race with China to see who can build the worst crap. Sad, just sad.

- Jack D.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 31, 2016 07:21AM
....no wife swapping.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: dk62
Date: May 31, 2016 09:54AM
The new fridges have an average 7-8 year life span. I still have a 20-year old fridge in the garage, but had to replace a beautiful 9-year old French door bottom freezer one last weekend. The water supply and the ice maker in particular are the problematic aspects.
Posted by: tronnei
Date: May 31, 2016 11:45AM
dk62
The new fridges have an average 7-8 year life span.

My Kenmore Elite (rebadged LG) crapped out at five years. At first I thought it was just the ice maker had gone bad and called service for that. But then I noticed all the food in the freezer was melting. Sears tech came out said ice maker was fine, but strongly suggested I purchase a one year warranty "just in case" other parts were going bad. I took the hint and bought one year warranty for $269. The next week I called for service again and the tech (same guy) put in about $900 worth or parts to get it working again. That warranty saved me a bunch of cash.

Oddly enough, my Kenmore dishwasher (rebadged Whirlpool), purchased at the same time as the fridge, also crapped out during the refrigerator ordeal. Different Sears tech came out for that, took it apart, couldn't find any faulty parts, put it back together, and it's worked fine ever since. I also opted for a new one year warranty on that ($99) just in case the mysterious problem recurs.
Posted by: IronMac
Date: May 31, 2016 06:12PM
I think that once you start adding in "features" such as the ice maker, water dispenser, etc. things can go bad within a short period of time. Keep it simple and it will last longer.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 31, 2016 11:04PM
IronMac
I think that once you start adding in "features" such as the ice maker, water dispenser, etc. things can go bad within a short period of time. Keep it simple and it will last longer.

That's why you still see slant 6 Dodge Darts and air cooled VWs on the road. Very little to go wrong when you only have a few thousand parts.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: June 01, 2016 09:27AM
I recommend copper line to hook up the icemaker - and a real valve (i.e. not a saddle valve) for connecting to the existing cold water line.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 01, 2016 10:43AM
Do any 'fridges have water filters in them?

I suppose one could be installed between the 'fridge and source.

Just wondering.

We have really good water here in the area, but when I put a cheapie Inta-Pure filter on the kitchen faucet, the taste of Minute Maid orange just got so much better.

It wasn't really noticeable in just drinking the water, so I didn't use filtered water for ice cubes.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 01, 2016 11:47AM
RAM,

Modern fridges that have water features and/or ice makers have filters. The GE Profile in our old apartment (which was 100% trouble-free) had one and so does the Fridgidaire in our current apartment. The GE had an ice maker and built-in water dispenser. The Fridgidaire has just an ice maker.

Although a water dispenser is nice, in the cabinet depth model, it would have taken away too much space from the interior. We didn't want to give up the space. Just as easy to use a jug with a water filter and keep it in the fridge. Refill as necessary. Need extra space for something? Take it out for the short-term. No can do with a built-in dispenser.

And, as Bill said, always better to use a high quality copper line (or high quality line in general) and a real valve for the connection. Saddle valves are prone to failure. Same goes for low-quality water lines. Once the fridge with a water connection is in place, don't move it unless absolutely necessary. Even then, slowly and carefully.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2016 11:47AM by Robert M.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020