advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Popcorn costs more than the movie!
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 05, 2016 02:33PM
I am not a cinema guy, we prefer to watch movies at home, but once in a while we go to cinemas, sometimes without kids, sometimes with kids. Today we went to see Angry Birds (for the kids), and wife was frugal and didn't want to buy tickets at home and pay the convenience fee (a few bucks for each ticket?). Anyway, we go there and 2 PM show is SOLD OUT. Parking lot was full. Next show is 4:40 PM so we bought tickets. while wife was in line to get the tickets (before we found out that 2 PM was sold out), I was in the other line to get popcorn and drinks for kids. The freaking popcorn is more than the movie! A movie is $5.50 (I think before a certain time, then it goes up), and popcorn is S/M/L 6/6.75/7.50. That is without drinks. No I won't buy them Soda, but they probably charge $5 for a bottle of water if I were to guess. I can't really complains about the movie ticket prices, but man, they rip you off with popcorn and drinks. So now we did some shopping, and we go back to see the 4 PM movie. we spent $22 on tickets and will probably spend $30-40 for popcorn and water.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Popcorn costs more than the movie!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 05, 2016 02:42PM
Even better - theaters with frugal managers don't toss the popcorn at nights end, they just roll it into the next day and keep going. So the first buyers at the early show get the dregs from the night before. Or so my students who work at local theaters warn me.

I just take a bag of peanuts, and a refillable water bottle; yep, I can be frugal too.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 05, 2016 03:03PM
No, they CHARGE you more for the popcorn than the movie. HUGE difference. The popcorn is cheap, they sell it expensively. Get it right! Same with the soda.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 05, 2016 03:05PM
You really must be from another country -- this is not news.

Over charging for snacks at the movie is a time honored tradition going back decades.

I rarely go to the movies either, but often ask snack bar worker if I can see their loan officer before I pay. Our theater practically frisks you before you walk in. They wont let you take in anything. Ive tought about buying some baby bottles and filling them with drinks and then entering the theater after the family and just say "i forgot the babies bottles"

Of course, taking a baby to a movie is just poor manners anyway, but people do it all the time, so I would just be waved thru.

3D movies are $16 each ticket. familry of 4 for a 3D movie + snacks = over $100. $12 for regular movies = $50 + snacks for a family of 4

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 05, 2016 03:06PM
The theater makes money from the snacks , not the movie. Ticket sales barely cover the cost of the film.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 05, 2016 03:07PM
Little known secret of the theater industry... The house makes almost NOTHING on the ticket sales (90% of that goes to the distribution company, not the theater). The money is in the overpriced consessions... That popcorn cost them fifteen cents in corn and oil, another two cents for the bag...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 05, 2016 03:26PM
Hi v63, is that a Pepsi in your pocket or you just happy to see me? popcorn smiley
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 05, 2016 03:34PM
vision63
Hi v63, is that a Pepsi in your pocket or you just happy to see me? popcorn smiley

Looks like you got a really big c*ck, er..., Coke! smiley-shocked003smiley-laughing001

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: 3d
Date: June 05, 2016 04:06PM
Paul F.
Little known secret of the theater industry... The house makes almost NOTHING on the ticket sales (90% of that goes to the distribution company, not the theater). The money is in the overpriced consessions... That popcorn cost them fifteen cents in corn and oil, another two cents for the bag...

If this was the case, you would think that theatres would hire more staff to work concession counters during peak times. Here in NYC, the lines for food and drinks during peak times are insanely LONG. Make me Lord of Film. I know what to do!
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 05, 2016 04:29PM
3d
If this was the case, you would think that theatres would hire more staff to work concession counters during peak times. Here in NYC, the lines for food and drinks during peak times are insanely LONG. Make me Lord of Film. I know what to do!

the closest theater to us never has more than one person taking tickets, and more often than not its the same older guy who i think is paralyzed from a stroke or some other aliment. Cant use his left arm.

I think thats great... however -- Scanning tickets is a 2 handed affair, it takes him some time...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 05, 2016 04:41PM
You decided to put yourself there, they didn't dragoon you in. Ever bought a beer at a NFL stadium?
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: June 05, 2016 04:45PM
I haven't been to a movie theatre in well over 10 maybe 15 years. Last time was $12 for the ticket and my first born for snacks. I survived. Then the commercials started. This is where I draw the line. I went to the manager and explained the situation while politely grasping him by the tie and pulling him close....you know, so he understood. Needless to say I got my money back and left.

I paid for the tickets, I gave them the cash for the overpriced popcorn and drink. BUT I will NOT also be subjected to multiple commercials at this price. Deal breaker, end of story, I'm taking my bat and ball and going home.

Going to the movies has gotten just as bad as going to a major sporting event or concert. Oh, and while we're at it, "convenience fee"?. Fahck me! I wonder if they ever considered how many people don't go to the event because they don't want to wait in line and also won't pay extra to print a ticket at home??? The Interwebs should be used for good, not evil.

OK, I'm done.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 05, 2016 04:45PM
Hey space-time, whatever you do don't ever go to Disney World. smiley-laughing001

BTW: I don't think a soft drink every now and then has killed anyone.

Grateful11
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: June 05, 2016 04:58PM
Paul F.
Little known secret of the theater industry... The house makes almost NOTHING on the ticket sales (90% of that goes to the distribution company, not the theater).

...For the 1st two weeks after the national release. Then the theater's cut goes up. (Can vary a bit. Could start at 95% or 85% depending on how big the pic is and what they negotiate. Could be gross for the 1st 2 weeks, then net on the next month. With operating-overhead, movies are expensive loss-leaders.)

I was surprised to find recently that (in general) theaters are no longer squeezed by that formula, nor has the digital transition cost nearly as much as predicted, nor has the attendance-dropoff particularly hurt them. Ultimately they have no good excuse to charge a 600% markup on a box of Goobers and a 6000% markup on a soda anymore.

Those 20 minutes of ads that run before the movies can fetch up to $50,000 per ad per screen. Captive audience. Hugely valuable to advertisers.

Except for small/indie theaters, movie theaters are not hurting.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 05, 2016 05:40PM
Nice rant, and I agree with all of it! I haven't been to a movie theater in over 30 years! Sporting events? Fahgetaboutit!! I think I made the right choice. Who needs it? dunno smiley

I used to enjoy going to the drive in, but most of them are closed up nowadays. A home theater is plenty enough for me. *I* control virtually every aspect of the movie watching experience.

Jack D.
I haven't been to a movie theatre in well over 10 maybe 15 years. Last time was $12 for the ticket and my first born for snacks. I survived. Then the commercials started. This is where I draw the line. I went to the manager and explained the situation while politely grasping him by the tie and pulling him close....you know, so he understood. Needless to say I got my money back and left.

I paid for the tickets, I gave them the cash for the overpriced popcorn and drink. BUT I will NOT also be subjected to multiple commercials at this price. Deal breaker, end of story, I'm taking my bat and ball and going home.

Going to the movies has gotten just as bad as going to a major sporting event or concert. Oh, and while we're at it, "convenience fee"?. Fahck me! I wonder if they ever considered how many people don't go to the event because they don't want to wait in line and also won't pay extra to print a ticket at home??? The Interwebs should be used for good, not evil.

OK, I'm done.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 05, 2016 06:03PM
....most tickets are $10-$12 now.....only 1st showing are discounted to about $5.50-$6.......

......with a family, it adds up......haven't been in years....easier to wait for when it comes out on DVD, then entire family can watch in the comfort of home with no cell phone/texting/talking for the cost of one rental (or free at library).....and reasonable food cost......you can also pause for bathroom breaks....and no chance of catching bed bugs......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2016 06:09PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 05, 2016 06:07PM
All you need is a Beer Belly or Wine Rack:

Beer Belly
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 05, 2016 07:04PM
Jack D.
Then the commercials started. This is where I draw the line. I went to the manager and explained the situation while politely grasping him by the tie and pulling him close....you know, so he understood. Needless to say I got my money back and left.

FWIW, the first time I saw "commercials" at a movie was in England, at least a decade before they started in the U.S.
At the time my response was WTF?
Posted by: Ammo
Date: June 05, 2016 07:06PM
Theater snacks cost so much because . . . people stand in line to buy them!

Movies cost so much because . . . well, you get the idea.

10X for sporting events. I have no sympathy for those who complain about either one.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 05, 2016 07:42PM
what cbelt and Paul F. said. Also, second run theaters and art houses pay much less for the film rental, but can expect a turnout consistent with a second run movie, hence lower ticket prices (but still high concession prices). Some of my favorite theaters locally are around $7-9 for a ticket and not completely gouging on concessions, but popcorn is always a ridiculous item to buy if you are concerned about price. And, yup, I also bring in some snacks if I am hungry. Now, my local sells great beer at normal restaurant prices so I figure that into the rare times I do go to see a film.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 05, 2016 08:13PM
I go to the movies FOR the popcorn. We eat Whole Foods' organic low sodium low fat popcorn at home so I live for those rare occasions that I go to the theater and eat full-flavored oh-so-bad-for-you popcorn and wash it down with a soda. You have to have fun sometimes.

BTW, my husband doesn't subscribe to this theory and he takes a man bag containing that same WF popcorn and a bottle of water when we go to the movies. Nobody (in this particular Loews) has ever given a tiny rat's ass what was in his bag.

Posted by: bwicklander
Date: June 05, 2016 09:40PM
Make a trip to the dollar store before hand. The dollar store has the theater size candy.
Date: June 05, 2016 11:30PM
We still enjoy going to the theatre for a decent movie 3-4 times per year. Yea it's not cheap but we
usually wait for the good coupon from Cinemark that gets you a free drink with the purchase of popcorn,
then up size it to a large popcorn that gets you a refill and the wife and I split a large drink and our son
buys a drink and we all share the popcorn. We usually go on a Tues., cheap ticket day or to the matinee.

Remember you can't take it with you and you only live once.

Grateful11
Date: June 05, 2016 11:49PM
We go to the local second run. My main squeeze and I can both see a pic and share an unlimited large soda and unlimited large popcorn for under $20. 3-D is about $22.

I'll wait a few months to save an extra $20+

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2016 11:51PM by Racer X.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 06, 2016 02:29AM
When it comes to edibles, 'unlimited' is not necessarily a good deal.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: fauch
Date: June 06, 2016 04:37AM
Brown bag it. If anyone questions you say you only eat kosher or halal or organic fair labor produced non GMO gluten free or something and they won't risk a discrimination lawsuit arguing with you....
Date: June 06, 2016 06:42AM
.....the worst part is.....that isn't real butter.......

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 06, 2016 03:05PM
I love the movies, and go regularly, but not quite as often as I used to.

Even with a really good HT setup, I might go very infrequently, but I'd still go.

I hate audiences and most people, so it's only matinees. They're usually cheaper but that's a slight perk, as I will sometimes go to an IMAX and/or 3D version of a movie, and there's generally few to no discounts.

I eat, drink, and drain before the show. Popcorn doesn't appeal to me quite as much as it used to, so it's a rare indulgence at the show.

Getting there early and getting the perfect seat is all I need for the next one and a half to three hours (but the latter is rare, too).

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Stavs
Date: June 06, 2016 03:56PM
NewtonMP2100

Doesnt matter - it tastes delightful!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 06, 2016 04:34PM
RAMd®d
Popcorn doesn't appeal to me quite as much as it used to, so it's a rare indulgence at the show.

Same here. I'm no longer able to easily digest the swill they pass off as "butter" for the popcorn.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: June 06, 2016 05:21PM
We used to have a theater here that ran $2.00 matinees until 6 PM. I think the last one I went to was Naked Lunch. I remember that I was the only one in the place who burst out laughing when the card for Dr. Benway turned up.
Date: June 06, 2016 06:26PM
NewtonMP2100

The worst part is what that stuff does to the workers who make it.

Date: June 06, 2016 07:02PM
And, IIRC, some guy sued the microwave popcorn makers when he got cancer. He ate the stuff twice a day for decades. I'll stick with butter.

Date: June 06, 2016 10:25PM
Stavs
NewtonMP2100

Doesnt matter - it tastes delightful!

bacon isn't butter either, but it sure is tasty too.
Date: June 06, 2016 10:31PM
Everyone says I make great hot air popcorn with real butter and a dash of salt. Can't stand that microwave stuff.

Grateful11
Date: June 07, 2016 10:42AM
.....the worst in when you get those pieces of kernel.....stuck in you teeth......ugh......!!!!

Date: June 07, 2016 05:04PM
Grateful11
Everyone says I make great hot air popcorn with real butter and a dash of salt. Can't stand that microwave stuff.

You are a chef after my own heart. Except I skip the extra salt because the butter already has enough.

Date: June 07, 2016 05:48PM
Speedy
Grateful11

You are a chef after my own heart. Except I skip the extra salt because the butter already has enough.

Aside from the hot air popcorn (which always tastes metallic to me), you are right on with this post. I make popcorn at home the old-fashioned way - popped in a pot on the stovetop and topped with real butter and popcorn salt.

It is what it is.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2016 08:07PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 07, 2016 06:15PM
That's how my husband makes popcorn, too. When he isn't eating the "healthy" stuff.

Date: June 07, 2016 06:32PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Speedy
Grateful11

Besides the hot air popcorn (which always tastes metallic to me), you are right on with this post. I make popcorn at home the old-fashioned way - popped on the stovetop in a pot and topped with real butter and popcorn salt.

Try it with home made caramel sauce some time. I do this a couple of times a year...

Melt sugar and honey in a non-stick frying pan over a medium flame with some olive oil and butter, then add a little soy milk to bring it just to the consistency of a good pancake batter. It doesn't need much time. Start it going right before you put the test-kernels in the kettle and it'll be ready along with the popcorn.

Empty the kettle into your (glass or steel) popcorn bowl in layers, drizzling the caramel over each layer with a spoon.

It's hard to get it wrong. Too much liquid and the popcorn turns into a delicious gooey mess. A little too thick and you get chunks of delicious caramel clumping with handfuls of popcorn.

And after the popcorn is eaten you get to scrape the solidified remains off the bottom of the frying pan as semisoft candy.

Date: June 07, 2016 08:09PM
Onamuji
N-OS X-tasy!
Speedy
Grateful11

Besides the hot air popcorn (which always tastes metallic to me), you are right on with this post. I make popcorn at home the old-fashioned way - popped on the stovetop in a pot and topped with real butter and popcorn salt.

Try it with home made caramel sauce some time. I do this a couple of times a year...

Melt sugar and honey in a non-stick frying pan over a medium flame with some olive oil and butter, then add a little soy milk to bring it just to the consistency of a good pancake batter. It doesn't need much time. Start it going right before you put the test-kernels in the kettle and it'll be ready along with the popcorn.

Empty the kettle into your (glass or steel) popcorn bowl in layers, drizzling the caramel over each layer with a spoon.

It's hard to get it wrong. Too much liquid and the popcorn turns into a delicious gooey mess. A little too thick and you get chunks of delicious caramel clumping with handfuls of popcorn.

And after the popcorn is eaten you get to scrape the solidified remains off the bottom of the frying pan as semisoft candy.

I think I remember doing that once with my ex-wife (who was quite the dessert maker). As I remember, the resulting treat was fantabu-delicious. grinning smiley

It is what it is.
Date: June 07, 2016 08:19PM
'Nother important element that I forgot to mention: Keep stirring the stuff in the frying pan until you're done "drizzing" over the popcorn and set the remainder aside to cool off. If you don't stir then it's likely to clump and burn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020