advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone on this forum really get $1,000 worth of from one set of headphones?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 08, 2016 09:16AM
I see these headphones on sale every once in a while. I have wondered if anyone can really get $700 worth of enjoyment out of them. Looks as though they are normally $1,000.
[slickdeals.net]

I don't own the best set but I do feel I get a good listening experience out of them. I hear subtleties I haven't heard before. I enjoy music but I just can't see myself spending anywhere near $700.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone on this forum really get $1,000 worth of from one set of headphones?
Posted by: clay
Date: June 08, 2016 09:32AM
I guess it's probably like just about anything...there are $20 options, $200 options and $2000 options. Likely, anyone buying the $2000 option isn't hurting for cash and just wants "the best" regardless of cost. In this case, there might be some small audible difference between the $200 and $2000 option, but for most who have decent ears, that difference won't be worth the extra $$$.

It's the same reason there are speakers that cost $20k and some think that's worthwhile, while others are fine with the $25 yard sale speakers. It's all in what you value.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 08, 2016 09:32AM
I haven't heard these headphones so I can't say but planar SPEAKERS are amazing so maybe these headphones are also. According to head-fi you can use these without an external amplifier but they won't sound their best. So these are primarily for home use. Mobile use would require an external amp. Probably an external amp/DAC. Would be fun to try.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 08, 2016 09:41AM
....thanks some expensive.......head................

............phones....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 08, 2016 09:44AM
If you earn your living with your ears ? Probably. As davemachine said... maggies are freaky amazing. I have my late father's set.... the tonality is incredible.... like being there. I'm going to set them up again and crank the Nakamichi / Denon setup and listen to some of Dad's old blues 78 platters. There's some Leadbelly in there, and he was Dad's muse for his high school and college years.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 08, 2016 10:10AM
I heard these and a pant-load of others at last years AES in NY.
They do sound spectacular, but dunno that I'd drop the $ unless I was feeling extra flush and had a chauffeur for my '37 Packard.

Senn 600s that I paid less than 1/2 that for sound great to me.
As do my Senn IE6s that I paid perhaps $100 5 years ago.

I did not get a chance to A/B. Perhaps I'd feel different.
But I also have Shure 940s and 1540s and AT50s.
The ATs and Senns I use for reference. The Shure don't do much for me, though they certainly don't suck.

I have yet to hear the Grados that many friends like alot.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: June 08, 2016 10:13AM
Like cUBE, I can't fathom it, but the same price for a great-sounding pair of speakers sounds entirely reasonable. If a set of headphones (additional costs and amplification aside) were comfortable to wear and sounded truly amazing, then it's easier to see.

I've just never heard headphones that were particularly good to start with. I've spent time reading reviews about some of the favorites up to about $300, but I'm just not sure I'm a headphone guy, and I have a hard time taking a leap of faith spending hundreds of dollars on something that will likely end up in a drawer.

I have a pair of Ultrasones that I'll occasionally wear on a plane or on a rare occasion at home, but they are nothing special. Tried a pair of the PSB $250 headphones hoping to step up to something a little better, but they sounded too similar to ones I already had, so I sent them back.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 08, 2016 11:51AM
Wasted dough on someone like me who has spent 30+ years in loud factories, plus, going to all those concerts as a young man, where the amps went all the way up to eleven.

I'm also somewhat skeptical that the average Joe or Jill could tell the difference between headphones at the low end, to the higher end $1000. models.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: raz
Date: June 08, 2016 11:55AM
Rick-o
I'm also somewhat skeptical that the average Joe or Jill could tell the difference between headphones at the low end, to the higher end $1000. models.

I can guarantee that I can tell the difference between $20 cans and $100 cans. The latter being good enough that I saw no need to try the $200 model. $1000 might even be marginally better, but I don't have that kind of cash to spare.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: June 08, 2016 12:12PM
pRICE cUBE
...I have wondered if anyone can really get $700 worth of enjoyment out of them.

I'll bet the guy selling them probably gets a little warm in the pants every time someone buys a pair.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: June 08, 2016 12:13PM
Grado SR60i's are worth every penny of their $80 price. On occasion they drop to $70 on sale. I bought the previous model SR60 (no 'i' ) about 20 years ago and they were a revelation. If you like headphones even just a little bit, you should try them. The only knock on them is they are less comfortable that some other models through supposedly the 60i improves this a bit.

However my SR60 croaked last fall after may years of use and I replaced them with planar magnetic $300 HiFiMan 400S and they are spectacular. Are they 300/80 = 3.75x better? I don't think so, but they are noticeably better and I'm happy I bought them. Now that sounds like justifying after the fact, but if given the option right now to spend $80 on the 60i or $300 on the 400s, I'd spend the $300 again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2016 12:15PM by Lew Zealand.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 08, 2016 02:54PM
I'll bet the guy selling them probably gets a little warm in the pants every time someone buys a pair.

Irrelevant.

I doubt anyone here would pay $1000 for any headphones.

My question would be is there anybody here not grown up enough to understand that those headphones might be worth every penny to some listener, as easily as they can understand that a lot of people are happy with $20 headphones.

There is usually a point at which any given person is paying for engineering specs and no appreciable sonic improvement can be had. That point is probably different for just about any given person.

I know that $1000 is a lot of money for *me* to pay for headphones. That said, I've listened to some STAX Earspeakers, and they're probably the most phenomenal headphone experience I've every had. And I think that experience could be repeated today, even though my frequency response and tinnitus would intrude on most other 'phones.

So I don't know if those cans come anywhere near STAX in the quality of performance, and even if they did, $700 is a little steep for my ROI.

A *little* steep...

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 08, 2016 03:00PM
I guess it depends on whether a few thousand dollars worth of _______ was already paid for. Everyone is free to fill in that blank with whatever hobby/questionable work gear that I have no interest in buying. smiling smiley
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: June 08, 2016 03:51PM
Worth is relative for each person.

My headphones are worth more than my car.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020