advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone make their own sausage?
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: June 13, 2016 06:38PM
I recently got into sausage making. Bought the meat grinder/stuffer attachment for my KitchenAid mixer. I'm on batch number 3 and I'm lovin' it! Tonight's batch (is on the grill as we speak) was pork shoulder, onion, garlic, rosemary and white wine. The test patties were pretty damn tasty so now I'm cooking a few links on the grill. Served with them will be mashed taters and mushy peas. Currently all dogs are on their best behavior and guarding the grill.

I've found several websites for premixed seasonings but I'd prefer to mix my own as they can get pricey when you buy the packaged ones. So I'm looking for any great seasoning recipes you might have. If you've always wanted to make sausage but never tried it, it's pretty easy and the flavor is much better than the store bought variety. Not to mention cheaper and fresher.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone make their own sausage?
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 13, 2016 06:58PM
When I grew up my family used to make sausages using pork intestines. What do you use, real intestines or they make some artificial stuff these days. Come to think of it, I buy and eat sausages, but never thought what they use for the tube.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 13, 2016 07:03PM
Yeah, used to do it all the time. Now, not so much, as one kid is a picky eater. Try roasting the fennel seeds before you add them to the Italian mix, it's great.

You can buy the casings (usually pork) in the meat aisle off any decent supermarket. But generally only one type.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 13, 2016 07:09PM
....not as much fun making your own sausage.....more fun when someone works on your sausage for you......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 13, 2016 07:29PM
I've made venison sausage in the past, but not lately. DIY usually is superior to anything store bought. I would go to a local market that has a butcher, and buy packs of scrap pork they sell. It's just the right balance, as venison is a lean, dry meat.

Nowadays, I make jerky in the smoker and it's quicker than the time it takes me to make sausage.

You have inspired me, Jack D. I may have to grab some casings and knuckle down to make some sausage sticks.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: June 13, 2016 08:04PM
mrbigstuff
Yeah, used to do it all the time. Now, not so much, as one kid is a picky eater. Try roasting the fennel seeds before you add them to the Italian mix, it's great.

You can buy the casings (usually pork) in the meat aisle off any decent supermarket. But generally only one type.

I buy the natural salted hog casings at my local grocery. If I call them before 8:30 AM they will put aside however much pork fat I need too. Can't make moist sausage without the pork fat!

- Jack D.

Date: June 13, 2016 08:14PM
Rick-o
I've made venison sausage in the past, but not lately. DIY usually is superior to anything store bought. I would go to a local market that has a butcher, and buy packs of scrap pork they sell. It's just the right balance, as venison is a lean, dry meat.

Nowadays, I make jerky in the smoker and it's quicker than the time it takes me to make sausage.

You have inspired me, Jack D. I may have to grab some casings and knuckle down to make some sausage sticks.

I have two electric water smokers and I've been smoking all kinds of critters for years. But no jerky. I don't know why not but maybe I'll try some now.

For the sausage I've been using pork butt and adding the extra fat. Tonight's batch was made from a boned out sirloin roast and even though I added 25% fat, it was a little dry. The butt was much better and some recipes say to use a mix of butt and pork belly for a nice moist mix. Problem with that is the pork belly in these parts is over $5/lb! For that kind of jing I'm making bacon with it or smoking it. Too pricey versus the $1.79/lb for the butt.

- Jack D.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 13, 2016 09:40PM
getting ready to. I too got the KA grinder attachment. Mine is a never used aluminum one from decades ago. Pork shoulder is just about a perfect blend of meat to fat. I love chorizo, and want to make my own.

I love this book. He also has one on smoking meat. [www.amazon.com]

I got both of mine essentially new from half.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2016 09:41PM by Racer X.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 14, 2016 02:26AM
I once sat on a government body that passed laws, does that count?
Date: June 14, 2016 06:33AM
RgrF

I don't know if that counts toward your sausage badge but it would definitely qualify you as an expert on pork fat!

- Jack D.

Posted by: billb
Date: June 14, 2016 07:21AM
RgrF

Those government bodies are still traumatized.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: June 14, 2016 07:59AM
....don' handle the meat.....to much or it will get tough.....

Posted by: GuyGene
Date: June 14, 2016 08:13AM
Me Pappy used to make great sausage, but me? I'm a professional eater.popcorn smiley Ethyl makes it when she has time. She busy...professors make about $9 - 10 per hour maybe...

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2016 08:13AM by GuyGene.
Date: June 14, 2016 05:54PM
.....no but you can use your own sausage......to make a secret sauce.....????

Posted by: billb
Date: June 14, 2016 06:33PM
Well that brings climax to a meat thread.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020