advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Satya Nadella proves that just like Ballmer and Gates, he too is a moran
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 17, 2016 02:53PM
Soon everyone will need to run Little Snitch or something like it...

IF Microsoft has its way, the vast membership of LinkedIn, the business networking site with more than 433 million members, will be instantly available to you while you use Microsoft products like Outlook or Skype. How many of LinkedIn’s members do you want to consult while also using Excel or typing away in Word? Microsoft is betting it’s a lot; this is part of its rationale for its $26.2 billion acquisition of LinkedIn, announced on Monday...

...Mr. Nadella supplied one explanatory clue in an email that he sent to Microsoft employees. “This combination will make it possible for new experiences,” he wrote, such as “Office suggesting an expert to connect with via LinkedIn to help with a task you’re trying to complete.” He went on to predict that such experiences would “get more intelligent and delightful.”

“Delightful” is not the first adjective that comes to mind here, or even the 10th. If I’m working in Word, I can’t see why I’d welcome the intrusion of even a close friend, let alone a bot telling me about a stranger pulled from LinkedIn’s database.

[www.nytimes.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Satya Nadella proves that just like Ballmer and Gates, he too is a moran
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 17, 2016 03:07PM
Flip it... do I want a few thousand idiots asking me how to change a font?

This will quickly turn into advice for $$$$

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 17, 2016 03:09PM
It's back.....

Posted by: Jack D.
Date: June 17, 2016 03:11PM
such as “Office suggesting an expert to connect with via LinkedIn to help with a task you’re trying to complete.”

So like a bunch of PITA pop-ups that you'll have to individually click on to dismiss....yeah, that sounds exactly like the MS experience I'm looking for during a busy work day.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 17, 2016 03:22PM
Email: All.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: June 17, 2016 03:30PM
How do I delete my Linked In account?

Posted by: blooz
Date: June 17, 2016 03:40PM
As if I didn't get enough useless emails from LinkedIn.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 17, 2016 04:12PM
bazookaman
How do I delete my Linked In account?
Change your email to abuse@microsoft.com
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: June 17, 2016 04:36PM
Linkedin mess was about as useless as tits on a boar hog.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2016 04:36PM by GuyGene.
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 17, 2016 04:40PM
You know, every time a program locks up on my work (Win7) PC, and I finally put it out of its misery with a ctrl-alt-del and a force-quit (or "end task") in Task Manager, Windows helpfully tells me that the program is not responding - do I want to wait for it to respond or quit it now?

grrrrrrrrrr.......Quit. Now.

Then, when I quit it, Windows helpfully steals another couple seconds of my precious life saying it is looking for a solution to the problem.

Oddly enough, in five years now, and probably hundreds of times looking, it has yet to find a solution to the problem.

I'm sure this twenty-six-billion-dollar bonfire acquisition will have every bit of the success of Microsoft's previous aQuantive and Nokia acquisitions.
Posted by: max
Date: June 17, 2016 06:53PM
GuyGene
Linkedin mess was about as useless as tits on a boar hog.
That is because you do not have sufficient amount of paranoia to make it work for you.

I never accept Linkedin vendors' or major customers' invitations. I do accept my competitors',
then follow their business....
Posted by: Don C
Date: June 17, 2016 08:19PM
In my working days, when I had an Excel question, I'd fire up MrExcel.com or any number of Excel sites and do a search often with great success. I certainly did not need to be told who to contact.

But then, I was the last Mac holdout in the department.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: June 17, 2016 08:42PM
Many people use Google docs in stead of Word just because of collaboration. This is true even in corporate environments where companies pay $$$$$ for Office 365 and the ability to do that with Office. But people still collaborate with Google docs because they usually already have the connections. This will give MS those connections.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 17, 2016 09:04PM
This is good for Skype.

Have no idea how this will really help with Office. They do not offer a product nearly as good as Google Docs as far as I am aware.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 17, 2016 09:28PM
And a very rich moran at that.

Now if only FaceTime worked as well as Skype…

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 18, 2016 05:52AM
Microsoft makes bold move into pot biz

Tech giant partners with company that tracks marijuana sales

Marco della Cava

@marcodellacava USA TODAY

SAN FRANCISCO As watershed industry moments go, this one could be defining.

Microsoft is welcoming mari­juana compliance company Kind Financial onto its Azure Govern­ment cloud platform, marking a legitimizing first for the legal cannabis business while posi­tioning the technology giant at the vanguard of a potentially lu­crative new industry.

Los Angeles-based Kind, which provides seed-to-sale tracking solu­tions, had been a commercial client of Micro­­soft’s Azure cloud since its 2014 debut. But after nearly nine months of talks with Mi­crosoft officials, Kind CEO Da­vid Dinenberg got the word his company would be promoted to Azure Government, a separate cloud platform whose security and compliance protocols are geared toward entities that inter­act with federal agencies.

“Thanks to Microsoft’s huge reach, it’ll be easier for us to tar­get every state with our compli­ance solutions,” Dinenberg says. “It’s a win-win for both of us as more states look to legalize med­ical marijuana.”

Kimberly Nelson, executive director of Microsoft’s state and local government solutions divi­sion, said in a statement that “Kind agreed that Azure Govern­ment is the only cloud platform designed to meet government standards for the closely regulat­ed cannabis compliance pro­grams and we look forward to working together to help our government customers launch successful regulatory programs.”

For Microsoft, welcoming a cannabis-focused data manage­ment company onto its special­ized cloud points to the dynamic thinking coming out of the office of CEO Satya Nadella, who is two years into his plan to pivot away from a crumbling software li­censing model and toward a cloud- and mobile-first business.

Last week, Microsoft made a $26 billion bet on professional networking site LinkedIn. While helping Kind start its Govern­ment Solutions arm via Azure Government is small potatoes by comparison, there is are no doubt that being first into a growing sector could prove lu­crative. In 2015, marijuana sales hit $5.7 billion but are expected to jump to $22 billion by 2020, industry analytics firm New Frontier says.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020