advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I haven't bought a Mac in 9 years.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: June 17, 2016 08:47PM
Between 1999 and 2007 I bought six Macs. G4 400, 800 DP, 2.7GHz G5, Ti500, 12" PB & a 15" MBP.

In 2009 I built a Hac. Since then, I've upgraded the SSD, HDD, RAM, video card, mouse and keyboard. But now it suddenly dawns on me I haven't bought a Mac in over 9 years. The last purchase was a 2.33GHz MPB, and it's been long maxed out on RAM. It currently has a 256GB SSD in it (from OWC.)

Of course, a couple years back I started working for other people again. So I've had two newer MBPs for work. But I haven't bought one for my household in a while.

Feel strange. Thanks for listening smiling smiley

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I haven't bought a Mac in 9 years.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 17, 2016 08:57PM
Over 5 years for me. Current is 2010 27" 2.93 i7 iMac. With SSD and 32 GB of ram, it runs like a champ, even with some heavy graphic design. Paid $1600 on closeout, top of line model.

Although I have been tempted to upgrade this year... but hard to swallow the price... for a "comparable top of the line" iMac today, with i7, 500 GB flash drive, updated video and 32 GB of ram = $2700 + tax, refurbished.

before that, too many to count -- was gifted a plus, but the first mac with my own money was a Centris 610. GRPs PIZZA BOX!

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 17, 2016 09:02PM
My Mac purchases have definitely been far slower the last 5 years than the previous 5.

We just went over our Mac inventory at work, and noticed the same thing as well. We STILL have our stable of white (plastic) Macbooks running 10.7 with SSDs and fresh batteries. They are not perfect, but they are still decent machines for many purposes.

Our more recent models - MBPs, etc - are also largely functional with SSDs and maxing out the RAM.

I'm using a 4-year-old MBP, and it doesn't seem to be significantly slower than a 2016 Mac.

If the rumored 2016 models include real updates to the form factor as rumored, then we will probably buy a half dozen or so and make all of the white Macbooks be situational machines only.

My wife and daughter love their 5+ year-old Macs. They have NO interest in new machines.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 17, 2016 09:05PM
5.5 years for me. My imac is still faster than my work provided macbook air.

i'm sure someday apple will convince me to upgrade but i'm going to hang out as long as i can.

Posted by: sekker
Date: June 17, 2016 09:13PM
mattkime
5.5 years for me. My imac is still faster than my work provided macbook air.

i'm sure someday apple will convince me to upgrade but i'm going to hang out as long as i can.

Funny. My home iMac is an i3 from 2010 with 12GB RAM and an SSD booting off Firewire800.

It's quite a bit faster than almost all of my work machines.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 17, 2016 09:30PM
Four 2011 MBPs.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Phy
Date: June 17, 2016 09:34PM
2013 MBA
2010 MP, refurbished

"Out of the quarrel with others we make rhetoric; out of the quarrel with ourselves we make poetry." -William Butler Yeats
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: June 17, 2016 09:53PM
Latest was a base model 2011, 21.5" iMac for $400.

Dropped in some spare RAM for 8GB total.
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 17, 2016 09:54PM
I received my Late 2011, 17" MBP on July 1st, 2012 so, it will soon be four years old.

I find it interesting that chip speeds are still generally below 3GHz (I know, "Turbo Boost" gets some temporarily above 3GHz).

Wasn't it roughly a decade ago when Motorola promised Steve Jobs 3.5GHz PPC chips and then failed to deliver (resulting in Apple's move from Motorola PPCs to Intel's architecture)?

I would definitely be in the market for a new laptop provided that I did NOT have to downgrade from my current 17" matte screen. Thank God that Macs can easily provide usable service for eight (or more) years!
Posted by: silvarios
Date: June 17, 2016 09:59PM
I bought a Mac mini in...2011 maybe? It was a 2009 model anyway. Since sold. Last Mac purchased. Nothing has struck me as worth adding. Went Intel NUC and Dell Inspiron, both running Linux.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: June 17, 2016 10:00PM
testcase
Wasn't it roughly a decade ago when Motorola promised Steve Jobs 3.5GHz PPC chips and then failed to deliver (resulting in Apple's move from Motorola PPCs to Intel's architecture)?

I think it was the 3.0 GHz that IBM failed to break with their G5.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: June 17, 2016 10:23PM
M A V I C

Looks like I'll be able to say the same thing in about three more months...and yes, it's still my everyday computer...
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 17, 2016 10:26PM
2009 for this household. Has not been used in a couple of years but may be returned to service soon.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 17, 2016 10:32PM
SSDs paved the way for keeping older machines feeling like new. If you were stuck on platter drives you would be cursing those old slow machines or would have replaced them by now.

I've bought plenty of machines over the last few years but most of them were from 2009 to 2012. I had a 2014 Air but did not feel it was any faster than a similar 2012 air.

For the last 2 months I haven't had a computer at home. I've been doing everything on my iPhone. I find that I am spending less time on the net, getting more done, but at the same time there are things that take longer on the phone or that I have put off doing. Eventually I will need to get a machine before next tax season for sure.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Spiff
Date: June 17, 2016 10:36PM
Me? Still working with my 2009 MacPro. Still feels zippy, especially with the OWC 256gb SSD as a startup disk. That's the latest mac I've bought.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: June 17, 2016 10:57PM
Main Mac is a Mac mini (Early 2009) running 10.6.8 and maxed out with 8Gb of RAM and a 1Tb HD. Still got room to move to an SSD. Stand by Macs are G4 1.25 Mini and my OS9 machine QS 2002 dual 1k with 1.5Gb RAM. OS9 screams on this machine...too bad it doesn't do much else these days...call me a Ludite but I liked the old OS's (7,8,9) better than the new ones....(sigh)

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 17, 2016 11:28PM
One thing I have considered is more used.

Kids are on 2006, 2007 and 2008 iMacs. They run decent with SSDs but starting to show their age in some spotss. For the right price I would consider upping them all to 21.5" iMacs -- either 2010 or 2011s. Still easy enough to add a SSD to and ram is cheap. 8 gb for $25.

I'm taking like $200-250.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 18, 2016 12:16AM
Speedy
Four 2011 MBPs.

One here. Upgraded earlier this year with a 1TB SSD, as per my plan when I purchased the MBP in 2011 - should be good to go for another three years, at least.

Like many of you, I'd purchased a relatively high number of Macs (one MacBook, two MBPs, two iMacs) in the five years subsequent to this purchase. Also like many of you, I feel absolutely no compunction to purchase a new Mac anytime soon, as I am perfectly content with the performance of this one.

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 18, 2016 12:18AM
SDGuy
M A V I C

Looks like I'll be able to say the same thing in about three more months...and yes, it's still my everyday computer...

Better times...

It is what it is.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 18, 2016 07:18AM
Quite the opposite here: I have purchased 5 portables since 2009, all for family. I also purchased a large number of Mac Mini, probably 30 to 50, which I resold for a nice profit.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 18, 2016 07:44AM
I've bought six in nine years.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 18, 2016 07:45AM
same here, last purchased was a Refurb Mini 1.83GHz C2D! Maxxed out the RAM and I still have it.
My 24/7 machine is a fauxMac Pro i5-3570K 3.4GHz, now upgraded to a 1TB SSD and has gone thru several graphic card updates.
Just can't justify the expense of buying a trashcan Mac Pro, $3k new or
$2,549 refurb smiley-signs006

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 18, 2016 08:01AM
I bought two new MBP last year - but both were 2012 models. Upgraded the ram to 16gb and put SSD's in both. I have no desire for the newer models, all they did was strip features and give very modest speed bumps - oh, and retina (which isn't anything worth paying extra for to me). I would buy another 2012 if one was needed.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: June 18, 2016 09:20AM
Ditto.

One of the RAM slots in my old C2D 13" unibody MBP has died, so I'll replace it when I can get a 2012 13" base MBP for $400 or so, which will then be upgraded to a 480-512GB SSD & 16GB memory.

Ombligo
I bought two new MBP last year - but both were 2012 models. Upgraded the ram to 16gb and put SSD's in both. I have no desire for the newer models, all they did was strip features and give very modest speed bumps - oh, and retina (which isn't anything worth paying extra for to me). I would buy another 2012 if one was needed.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: June 18, 2016 09:27AM
I still love my 2012 13" MBP. Last year, I replaced the Superdrive with a 240GB SSD for my startup disc. The original 750GB platter has my pictures, iTunes, and other data. It's amazing how much faster it runs now. I don't see the need to upgrade any time soon.

I have an HP laptop for work and every time I boot it up, it makes me appreciate my MBP. It is so slow due to the HDD, despite having a better chipset.

We also have a couple of old iMacs for the kids and 2 Mac Mini's (2010 and 2012) which serve as media servers.
Posted by: carl
Date: June 18, 2016 09:33AM
Been pretty slow to repurchase MACs in my house as well.

Two 2009 MacBook Pros are still still chugging along just fine, have been upgraded with more RAM and SSDs.

We also have 2 MacMinis one is a 2011 and the other is 2012. Both have had RAM upgrades as well as SSDs installed and and each has had a second internal hard drive installed.

However in the last four years we have purchased three iPhones: a 4S for my wife, then a 5C for me. The 4S was recently retired and my wife started using the 5C when I got a new 6S Plus.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 18, 2016 09:45AM
Newest one here is my 2012 MBA.

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2016 02:14PM by Grateful11.
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: June 18, 2016 11:21AM
'08 iMac, purchased used in '09. It is starting to seem time for a replacement. Ditto for the iPad 2 (not air mdl). Not to mention ancient Motorola flip phone...
Posted by: Don C
Date: June 18, 2016 06:22PM
My early 2008 20" iMac is chugging along, booting from a 960GB SSD over firewire and running Yosemite. It is crashing enough to suggest it just might be time to replace it (sometimes a solid white screen, sometimes a solid black screen, sometimes a harringbone screen).

My mid 2010 MBP is booting from an internal 480GB SSD and running Yosemite. When I retired, I used this for some consulting work, but those jobs are finished and it now is almost exclusively the music source for our folk dance groups.
Date: June 18, 2016 06:41PM
Well, it's not as cheap as jdc wants, but like I said several months ago I picked up a mid-2011, base 21.5" iMac for $400 off ebay.

Don C
My early 2008 20" iMac is chugging along, booting from a 960GB SSD over firewire and running Yosemite. It is crashing enough to suggest it just might be time to replace it (sometimes a solid white screen, sometimes a solid black screen, sometimes a harringbone screen).
Posted by: fauch
Date: June 19, 2016 06:23PM
People in general use computers far less than they used to with all the smartphones and tablets etc..

I mainly use my desktop for web browsing and watching movies. Once in a blue moon I need to shrink some video and upload it to YouTube but that's about it besides the very occasional WP document or spreadsheet.
Posted by: decay
Date: June 20, 2016 03:29PM
I just acquired a free Mac Pro, early 2008, with two quad-core 3.0 GHz processors and 8 GB of RAM. It runs Yosemite.

I'm going to turn it into my home media server and Handbrake/DVD and CD ripping machine.

I might even upgrade the RAM here and there, but for now, 8GB is probably plenty. I like the 4 internal 3.5in SATA bays.

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020