advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
And Now For Something Completely Different Part 1 And A Story To Go With It
Posted by: jh
Date: June 20, 2016 03:15PM
Friend of a friend was involved with this video combing the Metro Nashville Animal Control Center and the Williamson County Animal Shelter to advertise a special adoption/volunteer drive this summer.

Here's the link if you are interested: link

A couple of years ago this humane society from Wake County, North Carolina had a nice video encouraging adoption also.

Here's the link for that one if you are interested: link

On a personal note:
After we put down our last of two dogs due to illness and old age a couple of years ago my wife was heartbroken. She was not sure she ever wanted another dog as the last dog was very special to her. Unknown to my wife and me, our daughter searched the listings for the Metro Animal Control web page and showed my wife a picture of a dog and my daughter stated: "why don't we take a look just for the fun of it". You can guess the rest of the story--wife told me the next day we will be picking up a dog after it is spayed and given its shots. We call her Fiona and she is the sweetest, loving dog we could ever imagine.

Moral of the story if there is one:

I highly recommend to folks I know that are looking for pets to be sure and give their animal shelters/rescue places a first look. There are loving, wonderful, pets that need a home.

Now you just know I am going to include a picture of our rescue dog. :-)

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: And Now For Something Completely Different Part 1 And A Story To Go With It
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 20, 2016 03:24PM
Ladies and Gentlemen... Can I get an "Awwwwwwwww" ?

grinning smiley

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: archipirata
Date: June 20, 2016 03:31PM
Wonderful story! And thank you for taking in a rescue dog! My wife is director of our local Friends of the Shelter Dogs (FOSD) organization and I help out by doing a lot of their photography and promo materials. The thing these organizations and the dogs most need is people like you willing to make abandoned animals part of their family. Before our local organization started, the county put down over 900 dogs a year. Since the FOSD started, that number has dropped to fewer than 10. I encourage anyone wanting a dog to make their local shelters and rescues their first stop. Like you, they will find countless loving animals just waiting to become part of their family!

Athens, OH
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 20, 2016 03:31PM
our dog was a stray found on our porch, does that count?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Pam
Date: June 20, 2016 03:39PM
Awwww! Looks like a raccoon!

My dog is a rescue also. And now works in search and rescue to find lost and missing humans. Take that scumbag who abandoned her and her litter mates.

Before I started my dog in sar I volunteered with a local foster based group, Pit Road Rescue. Don't have much time to help them out now but I still do what I can. This group pulls dogs from kill shelters when they have enough fosters. And there's never enough fosters for all of the dogs looking for homes.
Date: June 20, 2016 03:42PM
archipirata
Wonderful story! And thank you for taking in a rescue dog! My wife is director of our local Friends of the Shelter Dogs (FOSD) organization and I help out by doing a lot of their photography and promo materials. The thing these organizations and the dogs most need is people like you willing to make abandoned animals part of their family. Before our local organization started, the county put down over 900 dogs a year. Since the FOSD started, that number has dropped to fewer than 10. I encourage anyone wanting a dog to make their local shelters and rescues their first stop. Like you, they will find countless loving animals just waiting to become part of their family!

Sadly the Metro Animal Control center does put down animals but tries to adopt as many as they can. In fact the video mentioned originally is promoting a $10.00 adoption fee through August. When my wife and daughter first met Fiona she told me she fell in love with it immediately which I did too when I first met Fiona. Took my wife bit longer to fall in love with me however. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2016 03:46PM by jh.
Date: June 20, 2016 03:47PM
jdc
our dog was a stray found on our porch, does that count?

I would say so. The dog we put down due to old age and illness was a stray we found.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2016 09:07PM by jh.
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 20, 2016 03:47PM
Fiona is beautiful!
Thanks for giving her a Furever Home. smiling smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 20, 2016 03:52PM
Well done, and welcome to the Phorum, Fiona ! A beauty !
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 20, 2016 04:28PM
Ever since they started to let dog owners in my building a few years ago, there's dog piss in the elevator and 'leavings' on nearby sidewalks.
Take them out to farm with Timmy so they can kill some skunks.
Posted by: DP
Date: June 20, 2016 05:08PM
I am all in favor. However, my brother has had two dogs that were rescues and it hasn't been good. He got a beautiful 6 yo Lab named Mo that was taken to a shelter when her family lost their house to foreclosure, which is a story in itself. My brother was duly impressed as Mo was very well trained, e.g., when they ate a meal she laid down on her bed in the living room and didn't get up till they were done. No begging at the table! About three months in, she started getting sick and when they took her to their vet it was discovered she had leukemia and died two months later. She had been given a basic check up at the shelter and had her shots but they say they had no idea she was that sick because the shelter doesn't test for that. The family that left her at the shelter didn't reveal that info although it's possible they didn't know. The vet thinks she was probably sick already and the family knew it. No way to prove it...
Now, he has another Lab, approximately 6-8 yo, that came from a shelter and he "inherited" the dog from another family member and this dog has issues with being left alone. This dog chewed on the door handle when she was left alone for 15 minutes in the car (yes, windows were cracked and it was a cool, late Fall day) and now if my brother is alone with the dog he can't go anywhere because she'll injure herself trying to chew her way out of the kennel, chew up something in the house if out of the kennel, or chew up something else in the car if left there! When people are around, she's just fine...
The dog obviously has had some sort of trauma earlier in her life and he said this dog is it, too much heartbreak, no more after this.
He's not going to take her back nor put her down. She will live out her natural life with him but my brother's retired and he actually has to consider his plans for the day because of the dog.
It's unfortunate that these things can happen; some animals have unknown histories even tho they seem to have been well taken care of before they were dropped off at the shelter. Of course, I'm not meaning strays brought in from the streets. One instance is a neighbor that had a chihuahua (and I have an issue with this) for three or four years and took it to the shelter when their daughter went away to college. They said because of their work schedules they couldn't take care of the dog with the daughter gone so they just took him to the shelter. Done.
I have nothing but respect for you for taking in Fiona. I hope she will be all you want and she's a lucky dog.
I just wish there could be more thorough checks at shelters, like more thorough medical exams, and I understand that shelters don't have the money for that. And, again, the older animals have unknown histories. I don't know what else could be done but people who get rid of a pet because they're an inconvenience is unconscionable...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 20, 2016 05:46PM
I have 2 wonderful pets. A 5th and 1st grader.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: June 20, 2016 06:07PM
jh
Unknown to my wife and me, our daughter searched the listings for the Metro Animal Control web page and showed my wife a picture of a dog and my daughter stated: "why don't we take a look just for the fun of it".

Just taking a look is like a little bit pregnant.

It doesn't work. You cannot look at wuppies and kittehs like you're window (not to be confused with MS Winderz here) shopping. I have 4 dogs that prove it!

You're "just looking" ...but the wife isn't or vice versa. My last acquisition (Louie - below) was a "let's just look" deal. Unbeknownst to each other we both brought cash to pay for the dog.

Watch my lips: Looking doesn't work.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2016 06:15PM by Jack D..
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 20, 2016 06:13PM

it does, it you are cold blooded, stony hearted like I am.
Date: June 20, 2016 06:25PM
space-time

it does, it you are cold blooded, stony hearted like I am.

Then you are just pure evil! (I mean that in the best way possible) I tried that once (repelled three assaults even!) but on dog number two the forces of the universe (wife) prevailed... Ruby

- Jack D.

Posted by: rgG
Date: June 20, 2016 06:28PM
Jack D.
jh
Unknown to my wife and me, our daughter searched the listings for the Metro Animal Control web page and showed my wife a picture of a dog and my daughter stated: "why don't we take a look just for the fun of it".

It doesn't work. You cannot look at wuppies and kittehs like you're window (not to be confused with MS Winderz here) shopping. I have 4 dogs that prove it!

You're "just looking" ...but the wife isn't or vice versa. My last acquisition (Louie - below) was a "let's just look" deal. Unbeknownst to each other we both brought cash to pay for the dog.

No one could resist that widdle face.
But, I agree with you, I don't even go near a pet adoption area, I just want to take them all home.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: June 20, 2016 06:40PM
rgG
No one could resist that widdle face.
But, I agree with you, I don't even go near a pet adoption area, I just want to take them all home.

And then they grow up...

- Jack D.

Date: June 20, 2016 08:22PM
DP
I am all in favor. However, my brother has had two dogs that were rescues and it hasn't been good. He got a beautiful 6 yo Lab named Mo that was taken to a shelter when her family lost their house to foreclosure, which is a story in itself. My brother was duly impressed as Mo was very well trained, e.g., when they ate a meal she laid down on her bed in the living room and didn't get up till they were done. No begging at the table! About three months in, she started getting sick and when they took her to their vet it was discovered she had leukemia and died two months later. She had been given a basic check up at the shelter and had her shots but they say they had no idea she was that sick because the shelter doesn't test for that. The family that left her at the shelter didn't reveal that info although it's possible they didn't know. The vet thinks she was probably sick already and the family knew it. No way to prove it...
Now, he has another Lab, approximately 6-8 yo, that came from a shelter and he "inherited" the dog from another family member and this dog has issues with being left alone. This dog chewed on the door handle when she was left alone for 15 minutes in the car (yes, windows were cracked and it was a cool, late Fall day) and now if my brother is alone with the dog he can't go anywhere because she'll injure herself trying to chew her way out of the kennel, chew up something in the house if out of the kennel, or chew up something else in the car if left there! When people are around, she's just fine...
The dog obviously has had some sort of trauma earlier in her life and he said this dog is it, too much heartbreak, no more after this.
He's not going to take her back nor put her down. She will live out her natural life with him but my brother's retired and he actually has to consider his plans for the day because of the dog.
It's unfortunate that these things can happen; some animals have unknown histories even tho they seem to have been well taken care of before they were dropped off at the shelter. Of course, I'm not meaning strays brought in from the streets. One instance is a neighbor that had a chihuahua (and I have an issue with this) for three or four years and took it to the shelter when their daughter went away to college. They said because of their work schedules they couldn't take care of the dog with the daughter gone so they just took him to the shelter. Done.
I have nothing but respect for you for taking in Fiona. I hope she will be all you want and she's a lucky dog.
I just wish there could be more thorough checks at shelters, like more thorough medical exams, and I understand that shelters don't have the money for that. And, again, the older animals have unknown histories.

There is always that chance you may get a pet with health or other issues. At the Metro Animal Control center you at least get three days after you adopt the pet and take it home to have your pet checked out by a vet of your choosing. If a health issue is found then you can return for a adoption cost refund or exchange it for another pet. Cost of the checkup is on you of course and even that is no guarantee that all health issues would be found. Then there is the issue of returning pets is an issue too.

The one my wife was heartbroken over us putting it down was a stray we found. It took like forever to housebreak her where our other dog had no problems that we already had. Plus she chewed up our dining room chair legs till we finally got her to stop that. Then she turned out to be a very nice dog.

Guess it is a crap shoot no matter what happens sometimes.
Date: June 20, 2016 08:30PM
Jack D.
jh

After 37 years of marriage I knew there was no such thing as "just looking at it". It would be just a matter of time before we had another critter in the house. grinning smiley
Date: June 20, 2016 09:10PM
cbelt3

She is already following the forum. wink smiley

Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 20, 2016 10:27PM
jh
cbelt3

She is already following the forum. wink smiley

thumbsup smiley

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 20, 2016 11:36PM
I can just imagine the inner dialogue ..
Hmm .. What are all these moving grey pictures ? Hey ! A dog ! Like me ! Best phorum ever !!
Posted by: Sam3
Date: June 21, 2016 05:41AM
I really liked the second video, but then again, I'm a fan of lip-dubs.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 21, 2016 12:59PM
Fiona is a cutie! thumbs up

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 21, 2016 05:27PM
Puppy dogs!
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 21, 2016 11:06PM
Don't forget the kit kats. As with dogs, lots and lots in need of loving homes.

We've got three, two of them commanded by the fates to come and rule beneficently over us.

One we tried to place in four different shelters after mom just couldn't cope with him (Due to what we soon learned was the beginning stages of dementia).

The other landed after I attempted to adopt three other furballs before her. Candidate number one, dental problems were found at the last minute. Number two was located by her owner last minute. And number with number three, the words, "I'll take her." Were literally on the tip of my tongue when a young couple came hustling in hoping they weren't too late deciding to take her home. I don't do tug of war with nice looking kids over kitties looking for a home, so off I went for one more lap around the shelter.

And there she was. Busted off a beef involving crashing somebody's Thanksgiving dinner party. Looking at me like butter wouldn't melt in her mouth.

Yeah. 'You're coming with me...' grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020