advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
my sticky non-stick grill plates
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 20, 2016 05:14PM
I have one of the Camp Chef stoves and the grill plates are supposedly non-stick from the factory, have been the "stickiest" pieces of metal I have cooked on.

outside of just buying grill plates to place on top of these, any suggestions on making these useful?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2016 05:15PM by mrbigstuff.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: my sticky non-stick grill plates
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: June 20, 2016 05:24PM
Got a link to the actual item? Are these cast iron and non-stick after you season them or grill mats? I've bought CS cast iron pans that they say are non stick but what they actually mean is pre-seasoned with a spray of oil from the factory. Also could just be marketing speak to get you to buy...which you did (sorry). You can also minimize the "stick" by heating the grill and giving it a brush of oil before you put the meat on or oiling the meat directly. Still not a true non-stick grate.

I've been thinking of buying a Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24. I've heard good things about them but no personal experience.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2016 05:27PM by Jack D..
Date: June 21, 2016 08:38AM
Also could just be marketing speak to get you to buy...which you did (sorry).

No, the marketing point of this stove is primarily that, a stove. The grill box is sold separately and sits atop the burners. I bought it as an outdoor stove, which it excels at being, but the grilling plates, as stated, leave something to be desired. I guess the solution in this case is to use something else.

The plates are a very thick cast iron, presumably to withstand the burner BTU, but food just sticks right to them, perhaps because they get so hot, even on the low flame.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 21, 2016 08:44AM
......what are you doing to make them....sticky [ ewww ].....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: June 21, 2016 08:45AM
mrbigstuff

The plates are a very thick cast iron, presumably to withstand the burner BTU, but food just sticks right to them, perhaps because they get so hot, even on the low flame.

Unless these plates came with some non stick cooking surface like teflon or other coating, all cast iron needs to be seasoned so food won't stick.

- Jack D.

Date: June 21, 2016 10:24AM
Jack D.
mrbigstuff

Unless these plates came with some non stick cooking surface like teflon or other coating, all cast iron needs to be seasoned so food won't stick.

I have done that 8 ways to Sunday, they just will not season. Some kind of Chinese iron that is different than what I am used to using on the kitchen stove.
Posted by: numbered
Date: June 21, 2016 11:37AM
Sometimes the "seasoning" that appears on cheaper cast iron is a wax that is for corrosion protection. The solution is to burn off/remove the original "seasoning" and then season. (That is, light coat of oil>medium temp to pyrolize>repeat until satisfied. Google will suggest flax oil but other oils will do.)

STF for long threads on the preferred details.
Date: June 21, 2016 12:12PM
The only other thing I would do is call Camp Chef and tell them you're unhappy. There's a good chance you may get a refund or a replacement set. In my experience there's never a guarantee that the item will be as advertised when dealing in Chinese crap and you could be right in the iron being the problem. Good luck!

- Jack D.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 207
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020