advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
English is not my native language, but...
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 23, 2016 06:09PM
[www.usatoday.com]

Let me tell you what I don't fully understand in this article. I'll underline the words that make ask these questions here on the forum.

The state commission said in a statement Wednesday that it was positive that the alligator believed to have killed Lane Graves of Nebraska during a family vacation had been removed from the Seven Seas Lagoon by wildlife experts. The agency said this determination was based on conditions observed by experts.

so are they positive of what? seems to me they are really saying they are positive some alligator(s) have been removed from the lake, and further they believe one of those alligator(s) was the one that killed the boy.

But they are not 100% sure that the alligator that killed the boy has been removed.

Also further down in the article

Based on the observances of investigators, the state agency said that trappers captured three alligators believed to be of similar size as the one that snatched and killed Lane and two of those alligators were near the attack site. Two of the alligators were capable of inflicting the type of wounds that the little boy suffered, the agency said in a statement.

So they are really saying they captured alligators A, B and C, and it seems likely that B and C could have killed the boy, but they can't really tell for sure if that was B or C, so they killed both B and C, and now say that the alligator that killed the boy has been euthanized, but they still cannot tell here, B did it.

Really, the whole article can be reduced to a simple phrase like this:

"We captured 3 alligators and we believe one of them killed the boy". There is really no additional information in this article, or at least not much additional information.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: English is not my native language, but...
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: June 23, 2016 07:07PM
I'd say you passed your English bullshite class rather nicely.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 23, 2016 07:27PM
Ahh, from the USA Today, the paper that nobody ever read unless it was a complimentary copy at the hotel you were staying in...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 23, 2016 08:25PM
....what about your tongue.......is that your native tongue......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: tenders
Date: June 23, 2016 09:37PM
freeradical
Ahh, from the USA Today, the paper that nobody ever read unless it was a complimentary copy at the hotel you were staying in...

I won't even pick it up off the floor in front of my door.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 23, 2016 10:53PM
Too lazy to even run the Word grammar check tool. Now THAT'S lazy.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 24, 2016 04:12AM
I'd say you passed your English bullshite class rather nicely.

And welcome to the world of online 'journalism'.

Some here would have you believe it's just USA Today, but that's just not the case.

The Internet is rife with badly written 'news'.

Somewhere along the line, many news sources apparently felt that a copy editor was part of the print dinosaur model.

In a world where electrons, ones, and zeros are more important that paper and ink, the rush to be the first with the latest, means bypassing a copy editor saves time.

And worse than poorly written 'news' articles are those articles that consist of a few lines, barely enough to make a paragraph, bereft of informative content, but the first with breaking 'nothing' instead of news.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: DP
Date: June 24, 2016 08:28AM
What Jack and RAM said. I can't be more succinct than that... But, more important is the fact that the state commission is trying to cover their butts, i.e., there is no way in heck that, with the number of alligators around that area, that they could truly know it which particular animal took the boy. They want to show they're handling the situation but they're really trying to avoid the trial lawyers, as the ambulance chasers will go after anyone they can...

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2016 08:34AM by DP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020