Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
VW Diesel owners: you may get 5-10K + buyback at pre-scandal prices
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 27, 2016 09:53PM
[www.nytimes.com]

The proposed settlement involving the federal government and lawyers for the owners of about 475,000 Volkswagen vehicles, includes a maximum of $10.03 billion to buy back affected cars at their pre-scandal values, and additional cash compensation for the owners, according to two people briefed on the settlement’s terms.

The cash compensation offered to each car owner will range from $5,100 to $10,000. Both the buyback price and amount of the additional compensation will depend on the cars’ value before Volkswagen’s public admission last September that its supposed “clean diesel” cars had been deliberately designed to cheat on air-quality tests.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2016 09:53PM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: VW Diesel owners: you may get 5-10K + buyback at pre-scandal prices
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 27, 2016 09:56PM
What if you don't want to? And on that note, why are they still allowed on the road, knowing they don't pass emission standards?
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: June 27, 2016 10:09PM
I'm going to be greatly disappointed if these cars are pulled off the road. I'm tempted to go buy one.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 27, 2016 10:26PM
There are plenty in the used market, just not at dealers. I don't know who gets the cash, the original buyer, the owner when the scandal broke or the current owner?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: June 27, 2016 10:30PM
M A V I C
I'm going to be greatly disappointed if these cars are pulled off the road. I'm tempted to go buy one.

Why? They pollute the air your son breathes.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 27, 2016 10:33PM
space-time
M A V I C

So do my '03 and '04 VW Diesels. Except they pollute legally.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 27, 2016 11:02PM
space-time
M A V I C

They are still cleaner than half the vehicles on the road. Remember, cars only have to meet the requirements of when they were built. RacerX's Buicks polute far more than one of these VW diesels.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 27, 2016 11:27PM
But when I only put 1K miles a year on my droptop, vs 60K on my Escape, I don't worry that much.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 28, 2016 05:06AM
The way I read it and there still seems to be fine details to be worked out - the 3.0 diesels will be 'repaired' but the 2.0 diesels will not. The 2.0 fitted models will be bought back.
If it is like the Toyota buy back : When you go to get an inspection sticker it will fail. Within 24 hours you'll get an offer to buy back the vehicle. ( Toyota also had a 'test' program that you could have done once a year free )

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Mr645
Date: June 28, 2016 06:09AM
Still waiting for another auto company to begin their "Legal Diesel" advertising campaign
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 28, 2016 08:27AM
Mr645
Still waiting for another auto company to begin their "Legal Diesel" advertising campaign

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. So far in the US VW is the supplier of many of the passenger car diesel cars available, I don't think the other manufacturers are ready to enter at that level of supply. Second, I don't think any other makers are willing to deal with the possible problems that labeling might cause.
Posted by: rasmac
Date: June 28, 2016 08:44AM
C(-)ris
space-time
M A V I C

They are still cleaner than half the vehicles on the road. Remember, cars only have to meet the requirements of when they were built. RacerX's Buicks polute far more than one of these VW diesels.

what's the percentage of the number of 18-wheelers on the road vs. the number of VW TDI's?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 28, 2016 09:17AM
rasmac
C(-)ris
space-time
M A V I C

what's the percentage of the number of 18-wheelers on the road vs. the number of VW TDI's?

That is really it. Not that I am promoting dirty cars remaining on the road, but the problem as a percentage of air pollution is not the VW TDI cars by total amount of NOx, it's the number of black smoke spewing commercial vehicles I see every day on the road.
Posted by: Blurb
Date: June 28, 2016 02:00PM
JoeH

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. So far in the US VW is the supplier of many of the passenger car diesel cars available, I don't think the other manufacturers are ready to enter at that level of supply. Second, I don't think any other makers are willing to deal with the possible problems that labeling might cause.

You forgot the large number of Mercedes Blutec diesel passenger cars and SUV's on the road...
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 28, 2016 04:32PM
Here in the 'Burgh, diesels, including passenger car diesels, are exempt from emissions testing. But by golly, I have to cough up $35 a year to get my hybrid inspected. Meanwhile, the dump truck I get behind on the hill on the way to the testing station nearly asphyxiates me.

</rant>
Date: June 28, 2016 05:36PM
Acer
Here in the 'Burgh, diesels, including passenger car diesels, are exempt from emissions testing. But by golly, I have to cough up $35 a year to get my hybrid inspected. Meanwhile, the dump truck I get behind on the hill on the way to the testing station nearly asphyxiates me.

</rant>

That stinks.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 28, 2016 05:38PM
Blurb
JoeH

You forgot the large number of Mercedes Blutec diesel passenger cars and SUV's on the road...

I doubt the number of those is comparable to the nearly half million VW passenger vehicles, and others which use their TDI engine that are being covered by this agreement. If I changed that "many" to most, that probably would have been an accurate description of the diesel passenger car market before VW stopped selling as part of the fallout to the admission of spoofing the emissions testing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020