Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
So, now I've got a BJ's membership...
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: July 03, 2016 04:46PM
Used a coupon for a 120 day membership.

Now, I'm at a loss for what to buy there.

I live in a small apartment and have no storage for giant warehouse-sized groceries.

What neat niche-stuff do they have that's worth going back for?

TIA!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So, now I've got a BJ's membership...
Posted by: billb
Date: July 03, 2016 04:57PM
TP and paper towels.
The Wellsley organic lemonade is OK if not just a little bit over-priced.
Books sometimes but only due to the dearth of bookstores around here now.
Otherwise I really don't find their prices all that compelling anymore.

Edit: I only renew the membership every year ( and also my broke sister's ) because they have the cheapest price for gas around, and they are right down the street. Easily get the price of the card back in gas savings. Everything else, pretty much meh. Years ago when 1/4 the store was business supplies and I had the business they usually beat Staples and Officemax prices .

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2016 05:06PM by billb.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 03, 2016 05:03PM
Onamuji

This is exactly why I don't do biz with these membership operations - once you sign up, you feel compelled to buy stuff. In my case I ended up coming home with stuff that I really didn't want, but found the price to be enticing.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 03, 2016 05:13PM
They used to carry ostrich medallions in the meat cooler, which were fantastic. Like a really good filet mignon. I'd check the meat department for those (our BJ's closed shop several years ago, so I don't know if they still sell that particular product).
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 03, 2016 05:22PM
LED bulbs and flashlights.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: July 03, 2016 05:42PM
hal
Onamuji

This is exactly why I don't do biz with these membership operations - once you sign up, you feel compelled to buy stuff. In my case I ended up coming home with stuff that I really didn't want, but found the price to be enticing.

I don't do the warehouse stores anymore either. It's just me and the wife even though some of the prices are really good, there's only so much of an item we can eat before it passes the best by date or gets freezer burned. Then it just turns into expensive dog food...but then again, the dogs do love freezer burned king crab at $17/lb.

As far as the gas goes, we have several local stations that consistently match or beat the BJ's/Sam's price (today BJ's $2.23 and Al Prime $2.17) so that's not a reason to join. I might consider a membership if I was going to buy a major appliance or tires for the truck but that's it.

The other thing I remember not liking is the long waits at the registers and being stopped on the way out to see if I stole stuff. This always struck me as demeaning.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 03, 2016 05:55PM
You need to figure out what the loss leaders are. If you never buy those, no reason to keep the membership. Costco sometimes has amazing prices on some cuts of meat and other food items.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Pam
Date: July 03, 2016 05:57PM
It's just me and my daughter but that's where I buy some of our pet stuff, paper towels, toilet paper, laundry detergent, dishwasher soap, Dish washing soap, sponges, scrubbers, sugar, olive oil, paperback books, birthday cards, milk, peanut butter, canned chicken and tuna, seasonal items, shampoo, conditioner, razors, motrin, clothes, tires, propane, and got my go pro there. I also buy their gas. Now I have their master card and use it for everything to get the cash back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2016 05:57PM by Pam.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: July 03, 2016 06:20PM
Filliam H. Muffman
You need to figure out what the loss leaders are. If you never buy those, no reason to keep the membership. Costco sometimes has amazing prices on some cuts of meat and other food items.

We were going to let our membership expire, and try Costco, although BJ's is in town and Costco is 45 miles.
We ended up staying at BJ's since my wife's job includes a paid membership, as she needs to buy large quantities sometimes.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 03, 2016 06:33PM
Tires.

Even if I bought nothing else at Costco, just going there for the free tire rotation and balance pays for membership. From what I've seen, a simple tire rotation is $20 around here (sometimes you get lucky and it is included in oil change), but a tire rotation AND BALANCE is $99.99 (yes, 100). So the $55 membership at Costco is a no brainer for one car, awesome deal for 2 or more cars.

I assume BJ has a similar policy.
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 03, 2016 06:52PM
space-time
Tires.

Even if I bought nothing else at Costco, just going there for the free tire rotation and balance pays for membership. From what I've seen, a simple tire rotation is $20 around here (sometimes you get lucky and it is included in oil change), but a tire rotation AND BALANCE is $99.99 (yes, 100). So the $55 membership at Costco is a no brainer for one car, awesome deal for 2 or more cars.

Costco tire rotate and balance is only free for the tires purchased there. They charge if not, but I think it's fairly cheap, like $17.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: July 03, 2016 06:59PM
We are at Costco almost every week (no BJ's here). With 3 giant dogs, we buy their grain free dog food, dog treats, LOVE their meat selection, vitamins (usually not until they go on sale), eyeglasses, some produce, eggs, butter.

Spend some time really walking around during your trial membership - YMMV.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 03, 2016 07:04PM
......became a member of the BJ club.......at bandcamp.....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2016 07:42PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: July 03, 2016 07:17PM
Filliam H. Muffman

$7/lb fresh Copper River sockeye salmon - whole fish, head off, gutted at my local Costco today
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 03, 2016 07:17PM
On,

There are a ton of things to buy and you don't need to purchase industrial size portions. My wife and I live in an apartment, have extremely limited storage and still do just fine buying stuff at BJs. Fresh fruits and veggies, dairy, deli, household supplies. Formula for Baby M. You name it. All can be found in portions suitable for a couple or a couple with a kid in an apartment. There is something wrong if you can't find items suitable for purchase.

Robert
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 03, 2016 07:23PM
nwyaker
Filliam H. Muffman

$7/lb fresh Copper River sockeye salmon - whole fish, head off, gutted at my local Costco today

That's the one in Sequim or Silverdale? Ack, it's just too late to check mine today.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 03, 2016 07:34PM
No Costco or BJs here, only Sam's Club.

I had a membership once but didn't renew it because it's just me and I honestly couldn't find enough stuff there that I wanted to buy to make the $45 annual membership pay for itself, and that includes gas.

The biggest problem is while the prices were good, the selection was not and for the most part, they simply did not carry what I wanted. I found that I could do just as well or better by buying things on sale at other stores (and those things I find on sale are exactly what I want).

But since the membership didn't cost the O.P. anything, there's certainly no harm in checking it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2016 07:35PM by AllGold.
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 03, 2016 08:06PM
One of the key things to remember with any of these "clubs" is not to be sucked into the idea that if it's there, it must be cheaper than it is at _____.
We've done the trial membership at BJ's (fairly close by) and did a regular membership at Costco (more than a half hour away). On more than one occasion, I'd go to put something in the cart and say to my wife "Hey, this is cheaper at Stop and Shop". Bottom line is that we discovered that neither was worth the membership costs for what we were likely to get out if it. That said, if it were about five minutes away instead of forty, I'd probably consider Costco again.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 03, 2016 08:48PM
My local BJ's Club deli has GREAT corned beef for $6.99 pound lately; delicious!

Their other cold cuts have also been very good.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 03, 2016 09:16PM
GGD
space-time
Tires.

Costco tire rotate and balance is only free for the tires purchased there. They charge if not, but I think it's fairly cheap, like $17.

I did say to buy tires. I didn't even know that they can do tire rotation and balance (for some cost) for tires that you bought somewhere else. This might come in handy! $17 is very affordable for tire rotation and balance.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: July 03, 2016 11:09PM
Filliam H. Muffman
nwyaker
Filliam H. Muffman

That's the one in Sequim or Silverdale? Ack, it's just too late to check mine today.

Sequim
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 04, 2016 12:06PM
....enjoy.....the BJ's........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: July 04, 2016 01:37PM
Hmm...

So, corned beef, tires and maybe some produce.

No auto store at my nearest BJs...

I browsed around the place when I signed up. Didn't see all that much to distinguish it...

I wonder whether I ought to be browsing the web site instead. I expect to be moving to a new apartment this year. How is their furniture? Good quality?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020