Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Rewatching Babylon5
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 05, 2016 09:28PM
What a great series.

It's really awesome to binge-watch; you know Season 1 is not as good as the other seasons, but there's so much background, etc, in every single scene.

No spoilers - just noting how great a show this is - it seems to be surviving the test of time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Rewatching Babylon5
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: July 05, 2016 09:48PM
I love Sci-Fi but I've never been able to watch B5 through. Unfortunately every time I see Stephen Furst's character all I see is Flounder from Animal House and game over.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: July 05, 2016 09:50PM
Amigas were awesome back in the day.

$6k for an offline editing system nearly as capable as a quarter million dollar SGI supercomputer. (Storage extra.)

Put 20 of them together and your digital FX could rival the best Hollywood modelers. (With a bit of motion-blur to take care of the rough-edges.)

I so wanted a Video Toaster back in the early 90s. Commodore blew a huge opportunity by not joining with NewTek to release faster hardware and expand their dealer network. (In fact, Commodore ignored the Video Toaster, abused their resellers terribly and hurt the brand by trying to make boring office machines with no upgradable parts to tinker with. Apple should have learned a thing or two from Commodore's demise. There are limits to vertical marketing profit-taking and there's a point where dictating features without consideration of the user experience generates push-back from once-loyal consumers.)

Posted by: silvarios
Date: July 05, 2016 09:54PM
Onamuji

$6k for an offline editing system nearly as capable as a quarter million dollar SGI supercomputer. (Storage extra.)

Put 20 of them together and your digital FX could rival the best Hollywood modelers. (With a bit of motion-blur to take care of the rough-edges.)

I so wanted a Video Toaster back in the early 90s. Commodore blew a huge opportunity by not joining with NewTek to release faster hardware and expand their dealer network. (In fact, Commodore ignored the Video Toaster, abused their resellers terribly and hurt the brand by trying to make boring office machines with no upgradable parts to tinker with. Apple should have learned a thing or two from Commodore's demise. There are limits to vertical marketing profit-taking and there's a point where dictating features without consideration of the user experience generates push-back from once-loyal consumers.)

This was a great post and I pretty much agree with all of it.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: July 05, 2016 09:54PM
DVDs or streaming? If the latter, which service?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 05, 2016 09:56PM
....could never get into B5......tried though.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: July 05, 2016 09:58PM
silvarios
DVDs or streaming? If the latter, which service?

Streaming at home from my ripped DVD collection.

The show looks great on my widescreen as it was shot anticipating HDTV.

(WB lost the originals, alas, so what we have it what we are ever going to get unless someone recodes everything).
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 05, 2016 10:49PM
I thought the last season was kind of weak. It seemed like they should have made it a half season to me. Even after milking out a whole season with a half seasons worth of material, they still managed to leave some things hanging.
Date: July 05, 2016 10:50PM
freeradical
I thought the last season was kind of weak. It seemed like they should have made it a half season to me. Even after milking out a whole season with a half seasons worth of material, they still managed to leave some things hanging.

Yeah, the show through a lot in season 4 because they didn't know whether there would BE a season 5...
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 05, 2016 11:06PM
sekker
freeradical

Yeah, the show through a lot in season 4 because they didn't know whether there would BE a season 5...

The PTEN consortium was being dismantled during the 4th season, so there was no clear indication the 5th season would be produced by WB for broadcast. A last minute deal with TNT meant the series could go ahead, but it was past the option date for the actors. Most agreed to extending their availability, but not all came back for the final season. Between that and part of the story for the 5th season being used in the 4th, the final season was a bit weak.
Date: July 05, 2016 11:57PM
Jack D.
I love Sci-Fi but I've never been able to watch B5 through. Unfortunately every time I see Stephen Furst's character all I see is Flounder from Animal House and game over.

His character was good in B5, but I know what you mean.

Every time I see Sally Field, all I can think of is the Flying Nun.
Posted by: max
Date: July 06, 2016 12:06AM
silvarios
Onamuji

This was a great post and I pretty much agree with all of it.
True dat, I started our business with the Amiga and it made tremendous difference.
Going to Apple after Commodore demise was a major setback
Commodore truly blew it....
Posted by: billb
Date: July 06, 2016 04:48AM
freeradical
Jack D.

His character was good in B5, but I know what you mean.

Every time I see Sally Field, all I can think of is the Flying Nun.

Oh man, Gidget in a bikini. What's wrong with you. :-)

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 06, 2016 06:05AM
billb

Poor old barnaclebill, still enthralled with his youth. Sally today would probably make him barf all over the erection he thought was just his and just for her.

"The political sphere – this is my real passion because for my children, my grandchildren, I see the whole world in such terrible shape and it hurts me and all of us. It takes enormous effort and time and passion and heart to participate in such a way that you take ownership of this planet. That you work at it and care for it, that you do what you can to make it healthy."

She's an outspoken fan of Hillary Clinton

We can now expect a sound thrashing of Ms Fields as being just another Hollywood airhead?
Date: July 06, 2016 06:20AM
billb

That was no Gidget. That was a low-rent TV knockoff.

...Poor Sandy. The studio system shredded her. Wasn't even allowed to stand like a normal person.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2016 06:27AM by Onamuji.
Posted by: DP
Date: July 06, 2016 06:48AM
Boy, did this thread spin off into the blue...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 06, 2016 06:51AM
barnaclebill is enthralled with Hillary, else he wouldn't bring her into every thread so I surmised he'd like to have her here.
Date: July 06, 2016 07:13AM
Bab5 was all about how proximity would help with politics...
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 06, 2016 07:18AM
Andreas Katsulas FTW!

Date: July 06, 2016 07:23AM
.....it kinda'.....BABbled....on......................

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 06, 2016 09:05AM
bazookaman
Andreas Katsulas FTW!

Most outstanding character development of ANY sci-fi series in history... Bar none.
A truely fantastic performance by an amazing actor.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 06, 2016 09:06AM
RgrF
barnaclebill is enthralled with Hillary, else he wouldn't bring her into every thread so I surmised he'd like to have her here.

Somebody ban this @#$%& already....
Go back to the poop flinging side already.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: billb
Date: July 06, 2016 09:40AM
Paul F.
RgrF

Somebody ban this @#$%& already....
Go back to the poop flinging side already.
Rules are for other people.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: July 06, 2016 09:57AM
For those who haven't watched any of this series, do yourself a favor and at least watch the first episode. One of the creepiest and most unsettling things I've seen on teevee.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 06, 2016 09:57AM
I liked the series quite a lot. Back in the pre Netflix days when you really HAD to schedule watching a show, I was pretty careful to not miss it.

And who can forget Bester ?
(Walter Koenig as an overtly amoral and ultimately evil telepath. )
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 06, 2016 10:45AM
I hope Netflix picks it up soon; I would love to watch the whole series.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Date: July 06, 2016 11:05AM
Zoidberg

It is on Netflix if you have the DVD plan.

[dvd.netflix.com]
Date: July 06, 2016 11:07AM
....so everyone agrees......it is....BABYlicious.......???

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 06, 2016 01:44PM
One of my favorite series ever, due to the strong emphasis on morality/ethics/values. I mean, come on, when the good guy breaks cover and he looks just like a freaking angel!

My other favorite, lighter and less serious but still very good, was "Due South". Worth a try, IMHO. Very funny, very well acted, very tongue in cheek. Don't know if anyone's streaming it....
Posted by: pqrst
Date: July 06, 2016 03:10PM
freeradical

The fifth season was an "add-on" with the exception of the last episode which was actually filmed at the end of Season 4. When TNT opted for another season, it came as a big surprise and JMS worked to come up with another season. Season 4 is the one with Sheridan's great "Get out of our galaxy" speech. My 2 cents.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: July 06, 2016 03:32PM
pqrst
freeradical

My favorite stuff was the interactions between Londo and g'kar. Never been a better written character arc.

The fifth season was an "add-on" with the exception of the last episode which was actually filmed at the end of Season 4. When TNT opted for another season, it came as a big surprise and JMS worked to come up with another season. Season 4 is the one with Sheridan's great "Get out of our galaxy" speech. My 2 cents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2016 03:32PM by pqrst.
Date: July 06, 2016 07:19PM
freeradical
Zoidberg

It is on Netflix if you have the DVD plan.

30 discs.

I'm not on the 30 discs at a time plan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020