advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Just finished replacing locks in the new house
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 16, 2016 01:01AM
What a chore. I didn't notice when we viewed the house, but every single door on the house and garage used a different key, all were from different makes and on one door the deadbolt and the entry lock weren't even the same! A trip to Home Depot, about 2 hours of work, and $250 later and the house now has matching locks all keyed to one key. Just need to add the deadbolt to the garage, it didn't have one before and it is too late to drill outside. I don't want to be THAT neighbor.

The most unexpected part I didn't realize I would need to do is that some of the doors needed to have the lock cores flipped so that they key inserted the correct way. That wasn't covered in the instructions at all, I guess most people just put them in upside down? YouTube to the rescue and I found a video on how to do it. There is no possible way I would have figured it out without breaking one lock to see how the guts worked.

Now I can throw away a dozen keys and locksets and have a single key on my ring. I'm trying to decide if I want to spend $40 to get padlocks that are also matched for the shed and boat. Would be nice, but probably overkill.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just finished replacing locks in the new house
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 16, 2016 01:36AM
One Key To Rule Them All.

It is what it is.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 16, 2016 03:27AM
N-OS X-tasy!

T'would be my goal
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 16, 2016 03:47AM
or move to Canada..., everybody is nice, it's safe, and you don't need locks.
:-)
--
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 16, 2016 05:58AM
My daughter and son-in-law did the same thing when they bought a new house. It was the very first house project my SIL did and we were pleased they did it and that they were successful without help.

One option that you might consider is whether there's a Habitat ReStore around. They take building supply donations and use some things in their house builds and others to sell. Or to the local Goodwill or Salvation Army store. You can take the value of the old locksets off your taxes!

I'd get the padlocks for the shed and boat. Just because I worry about that type of thing.
Posted by: DP
Date: July 16, 2016 06:25AM
N-OS X-tasy!

Ha!
And makes it easier to find them in the darkness...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 16, 2016 07:07AM
one key to steal. one.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 16, 2016 07:25AM
I would put a different keyed lock on the shed. Hide a house key in the shed. Then hide the shed key somewhere outside. Chances are that if someone finds the key, they will try the house locks.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 16, 2016 07:49AM
space-time
one key to steal. one.

That is why I never did that with our front and back doors. Granted, eight different keys is a little nuts, but we only have two ways in or out. Plus, we can give one of those keys out to friends, knowing that we would only have to change one lock if the key got lost, etc.
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 16, 2016 10:39AM
C(-)ris
...The most unexpected part I didn't realize I would need to do is that some of the doors needed to have the lock cores flipped so that they key inserted the correct way...

I didn't realize there was a "correct way". If it doesn't go in one way, I flip the key over and try it that way.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 16, 2016 11:23AM
I went to auto locking keypads. No keys except in an emergency (yes, one is well hidden); 100,000 possible combinations; can program in a one time user code for pest control, etc; door auto locks after 50 seconds. No regrets.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: 3d
Date: July 16, 2016 12:01PM
There's only one door into and out of my house.
Combination keypad deadbolt on top and key'd lock on the handle. Keypads are great if you're running across the street to chat with a neighbor, or doing some work in the backyard for a bit. No need to pocket the whole mess of keys into your pocket. The only other way in is to break glass.

Re: Outdoor padlocks matching keys
I wouldn't bother. Outdoor padlocks jam and break too often. Matching the key would be a PITA every time that happens. Is it even possible to change the key on a padlock after the fact?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 16, 2016 01:48PM
wurm
C(-)ris
...The most unexpected part I didn't realize I would need to do is that some of the doors needed to have the lock cores flipped so that they key inserted the correct way...

I didn't realize there was a "correct way". If it doesn't go in one way, I flip the key over and try it that way.

The teeth should always be pointing up.

I purchased Kwikset smart key locks. They can be rekeyed in about 20 seconds each as long as you don't lose every single original. So if I lose a key or it is stolen or I want to rekey I just get a new key made and go through the relearn steps on each lock to set the new key. Super easy.

The $20 shed and boat locks are from the same company/line so I can rekey them at will as well.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 16, 2016 02:15PM
Just did the same thing with recent home purchase. Used kwikset also.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: July 16, 2016 04:43PM
I haven't locked my doors in 30+ years. I'm taking all the cash I would have spent on new locks and Locksmiths and spending it on hookers and booze. wiggle smiley

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 16, 2016 08:00PM
Jack D.
I haven't locked my doors in 30+ years. I'm taking all the cash I would have spent on new locks and Locksmiths and spending it on hookers and booze. wiggle smiley

nice! I just came back from Canada and found my car unlocked. I was moving stuff from one car to another when we left and forgot to lock it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020