Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Got Rats ? Get Cats ! One Chicago shelter's solution
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 16, 2016 11:19PM
[www.cnn.com]

""Hundreds of rats set up shop under decks in our backyard," Nickerson said. "I couldn't even bring my garbage out after sundown, because the rats would just run over your feet."

Nickerson called Tree House, which agreed to give him a colony. His cats have kept his yard rat-free for years."

emoticon-animal-004
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Got Rats ? Get Cats ! One Chicago shelter's solution
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 17, 2016 07:46AM
If it's a feral colony, not a bad idea. Not a great idea for adoptable cats. And some cats will not go after full-grown rats. We had one family dog who enjoyed hunting them, usually in the company of the most intrepid hunter among our cats.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2016 07:48AM by ka jowct.
Posted by: billb
Date: July 17, 2016 07:50AM
Not a bird, chipmunk, grasshopper, cricket or mouse in sight likely either

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 17, 2016 08:13AM
ka jowct
We had one family dog who enjoyed hunting them...

Terriers

"Most terrier breeds were developed in Great Britain and Ireland. They were used to control rats, rabbits, and foxes both over and under the ground."

[en.m.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: max
Date: July 17, 2016 08:38AM
Great lines...

"There'd be this foot-tall rat just sitting there, staring up at you with it's face asking, 'Are you leaving yet? I'm hungry. Can't you just leave already?'" McCown said with a shiver.
"He'd startle us so much we started calling him 'Jesus,' because you'd turn the corner and there he'd be -- 'Oh, Jesus.' "
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 17, 2016 12:30PM
Our rat hunters were a collie and a medium-sized cat named Patches.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 17, 2016 01:04PM
I remember a TV correspondent in Sacramento going to a special 'terrier-park' with her Jack Russel. It had a bunch of PVC pipes partly buried with small rabbit size decoys that would flash by openings. I will swear that the dog levitated out of her arms, gained speed in the air, and flew into a tunnel after a decoy. Go-go-rat-chasing-power! She was a little stunned it's natural instincts changed the dogs temperament so quickly.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: July 17, 2016 07:58PM
DeusxMac
ka jowct
We had one family dog who enjoyed hunting them...

Terriers

"Most terrier breeds were developed in Great Britain and Ireland. They were used to control rats, rabbits, and foxes both over and under the ground."

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

If you're interested in seeing the rat terriers in action there's this on YouTube Ratting with 3 Plummer Terriers Over 100 rats! Severn valley ratters best video yet! New 2014!

It's exactly what DeusxMac pointed out and in fact takes place on a farm in the UK. WARNING! Not for the squeamish! Not bloody but very graphic and depicting rat terriers doing what they were bred for. As a dog and animal lover I find this video a little disturbing, but I also recognize the right of the farmer to keep his land pest free.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 133
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020