advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone own/owned an RV? Tinkering with the idea
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 23, 2016 12:00PM
I am tinkering with the idea of owning an RV. The kind you drive, not tow. Probably looking for a used Class C type with shower/toilet that has room to sleep 6-8 people. Something I could take to national parks etc.

Yes, I know that I can find info on the web but I trust the input here a lot more. Anyone have any info, advice, things to avoid they want to share? Looking for all experiences with RVs, all types so I can get a better feel if I buy something.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone own/owned an RV? Tinkering with the idea
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 23, 2016 12:29PM
My neighbor sold his and now just rents one from CruiseAmerica when needed. He said he can rent it for the 1-2 weeks a year he would use it and save on payments, insurance, upkeep, storage, and roadside service. If he wants to tour a part of the country, he can fly there and pick up the rental RV, enjoy it, then fly home. Before he had to spend several days and 100 gallons of gas just getting to the area where he could begin his vacation.

His logic made sense to me.

(just about everyone I know who owned an RV or camper, sold it after a year or so - usually at a substantial loss. I only know one couple with one currently, and they just bought it a few months ago. Knowing them, it will be sold in another year or so.)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: July 23, 2016 12:55PM
I sold RV's for 4 years. Big black hole to throw money into based on the use you will get out of it. Most get around 8-10mpg, class C maybe a little better. Unless you are planning to use it full time, treat the value of this purchase as you would a time share condo. Definitely NOT an investment that will appreciate.

If you buy new, it's a good deal for the dealership and the salesperson, they make great commissions (I averaged $2,000/sale)! You, you lose 25% as soon as it's off the lot. Ombligo's post is correct. People buy them and use them for the first year or so and then interest wanes. After that you find a place in the yard to store it until the next trip. That's when the repairs from non use start.

Jus' sayin'....

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2016 01:00PM by Jack D..
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 23, 2016 01:49PM
Rent don't buy. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 23, 2016 02:03PM
Always rent toys such as RVs, jetskis, etc.
Posted by: billb
Date: July 23, 2016 02:13PM
My grandparents owned a class c for a couple of years. They rented their home and made their way down to Florida for a year or two and lived out of it semi-retired.
Gramps had a stroke and even with family borrowing it it didn't get used enough. They're like boats you can't let them sit unused.

We rented a class a diesel for two weeks and I liked driving that more than towing a trailer behind a truck.

We had a pop up camper trailer and then went bigger and bigger becomes a chore.

Class c makes sense if you're vacationing where a cabin or motel isn't available and you don't want to tow a trailer nor have to own a vehicle powerful enough to tow it as a a commuter vehicle or let a truck and trailer sit.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 23, 2016 02:36PM
Also, if you camp in RV parks, the conversation with your neighbors will be mostly about not only just RVs, but THEIR RV.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 23, 2016 02:48PM
Dennis S
Also, if you camp in RV parks, the conversation with your neighbors will be mostly about not only just RVs, but THEIR RV.

smiley-laughing001smiley-laughing001

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 23, 2016 02:57PM
....why not rent (unless you plan to live in one)......?

....as said above, unless you are using it a lot, then in about a year it will just sit there and you will have to worry about where to park it....seems like throwing money out the door.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2016 02:59PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: billb
Date: July 23, 2016 03:18PM
Dennis S
Because you are an RV owner who only talks about himself and you are speaking from experience ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: July 23, 2016 03:28PM
Another minus is, you'll spend most of your free timing dreaming, scheming, planning, etc. about RV stuff instead of the destination. And most of it will be negative and draining. That's on top of the money worries and anxieties.
Posted by: rz
Date: July 23, 2016 03:42PM
My inlaws got a used one a few years ago. I don't think they use it as much as they thought they would.

My sister and her husband have a camper that they tow. It's fairly small. But they use it all the time. They probably take 6 or more trips a year in it. They've come to Florida to visit us the last couple of years, and they spend 10-14 days each time. They're at some campground in PA right now.
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: July 23, 2016 03:43PM
Father in law bought one from an older couple that never used it, he ended up parking it at deer camp for a year.
Sold it for a loss, and built a small cabin for less money.
We own 2 towable campers, and they are a money pit.
Don't tell my wife I said that!
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 23, 2016 03:44PM
I'm on my second RV. I bought a 17', Casita Spirit Deluxe Travel Trailer in 2010 to facilitate a trip to the Burning Man Festival. I had a great time! It easily towed behind my 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan and, was a GREAT way to get started RVing. I retired in 2011 and did Burning Man again in 2011 & 2012. Over four years, I did over a dozen extended trips using that Casita (three weeks ~ five+ months logging about 50,000 miles). I can easily recommend Casita trailers! In 2014, after three years of searching, I "graduated" to a Super-C Class diesel puller RV. It's a 2015 Dynamax DX3-37RB. Dynamax starts out with a Freightliner Class 7 HDT (Heavy Duty Truck) cab-chassis and builds an RV onto it. Once I find a buyer for my "brick & stick" home, I can easily full time in my Dynamax. Several companies build nice RVs starting with a HDT base. My best advice; find and attend an RV Boot Camp. The Escapees run an EXCELLENT RVBC, usually over a weekend (other groups also offer RV Boot Camps). It will be time and money VERY well spent. Check out www.rvtrader.com . Great resource for RV shoppers. There are tens of thousands of RVs out there. RVBC will make you a better shopper as well as a safer RVer. Renting first and camping for a few weeks will give you a better idea of what works and doesn't work for you. There is NO "perfect" RV but, with some due diligence on your part, you can find an RV that could be perfect for you.
Date: July 23, 2016 04:54PM
If I did an RV it would be like test, where I gave up everything to be RV only.

$250,000 RV seems doable.

If I could get reliable fast net throughout the USA I could "retire" this way and be able to "work" anywhere, since all my clients are pretty much virtual. But my "office" might take up a ton of space...

Of course, my wife would never live like that, so I would have to get a divorce too. smiley-shocked003

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 23, 2016 05:10PM
Rent one and if you have a business just make a few contacts while using it and write it off.

Grateful11
Date: July 23, 2016 05:38PM
How about a trailer? It seems like there would be lots less expense and worry.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: July 23, 2016 07:38PM
I've always had the dream of owning one, and driving all over the place. My other dream is to float lazily down a river on a houseboat for a few weeks.

Here's the first one I saw on rvtrader.com when I just searched....I mean, c'mon....this thing is cool!!!!!!

[www.rvtrader.com]

Yeah, $57,000 is a lot of money, but still......you get some back when you sell it, right?

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: July 23, 2016 08:41PM
Lot's of negative comments about owning RV's here, but... It's like any hobby - hobbies are money sinks, not investments. If RVing is your thing, then do it.

I've owned RV's over the years, mainly Class B's. Took a break in RV ownership for a number of years when I was working and going thru divorce, moves, etc. But as I neared retirement I started collecting my retirement toys and one was another RV. I've made two trips to Alaska in the current one counting the one I'm on now. I'm sitting in my RV in Alaska enjoying the savings compared to the cost of an extended stay in motels, car rentals, airline fees, etc, etc.

I did tow my Jeep Wrangler on this trip which cost me a little in MPG on the RV, but having the Jeep with me on this trip was well worth the slightly higher cost due to lower MPG. Just got back from a week trip in it up the Dalton Highway all the way to Prudhoe Bay and down to Valdez - traveled the entire distance of the pipeline.
Date: July 23, 2016 08:58PM
Dennis S
How about a trailer? It seems like there would be lots less expense and worry.

Meh, they seem like a waste. The whole point of RVIng is the "honey, can you make me a sandwich and grab me a coke" while cruising down the highway while the kids are in the back playing Uno...

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 23, 2016 09:07PM
A neighbor had a pickup with a camper on the back. Towed a boat and went fishing and water skiing up and down the Sacramento valley with his family for about 12 years. It helps if both parents really enjoy it.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 23, 2016 10:31PM
Grateful11
Rent one and if you have a business just make a few contacts while using it and write it off.

Danny would be building a "stock photo" collection of national parks to use in his freelance photo business. That's his story, and he is sticking to it.

ALL my travel has a photo business angle.

And being in Utah, buying a used one from the Phoenix area would be a no-brainer if he goes the used route.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2016 10:33PM by Racer X.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: July 23, 2016 10:50PM
We have friends who retired early about three years ago. They sold their primary residence and moved into their "cabin" (a four-bedroom A-frame) on a lake near Shenandoah State Park. They bought a class C 32' RV for about 95K and have been using it about four to five months out of the year. They plan three to six week trips. These people are really getting their money's worth out of their RV. Probably in the minority of people who buy RVs.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 24, 2016 01:21AM
The thing that disgusts me about almost every RV is that the interior looks like 1973 never ended. Enough with the blue velour and the dark stained wood cabinetry!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 24, 2016 03:41PM
6-8 people do not belong in one RV. Unless 6 of them are kids. I suppose you could go with a Class C and pull a pop-up camper.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: July 24, 2016 03:43PM
bobinmurphy
Lot's of negative comments about owning RV's here, but... It's like any hobby - hobbies are money sinks, not investments. If RVing is your thing, then do it.

I've owned RV's over the years, mainly Class B's. Took a break in RV ownership for a number of years when I was working and going thru divorce, moves, etc. But as I neared retirement I started collecting my retirement toys and one was another RV. I've made two trips to Alaska in the current one counting the one I'm on now. I'm sitting in my RV in Alaska enjoying the savings compared to the cost of an extended stay in motels, car rentals, airline fees, etc, etc.

I did tow my Jeep Wrangler on this trip which cost me a little in MPG on the RV, but having the Jeep with me on this trip was well worth the slightly higher cost due to lower MPG. Just got back from a week trip in it up the Dalton Highway all the way to Prudhoe Bay and down to Valdez - traveled the entire distance of the pipeline.

smiley-score010 thumbs up thumbs up

Posted by: hal
Date: July 24, 2016 09:04PM
bobinmurphy

That sounds great bob! Well done! Curious - how much did the drive cost (from the lower 48 I assume) to your first stop in AK?
Date: July 24, 2016 09:53PM
hal
bobinmurphy

That sounds great bob! Well done! Curious - how much did the drive cost (from the lower 48 I assume) to your first stop in AK?

First response didn't get thru, so... My round trip in 2014 cost about $5,000 total for gas, food, camp fees, etc. This year will be a more mainly because of all the side trips with the Jeep, like up the Dalton and Dempster to Inuvit, NWT and the start of the Ice Road via the Top of the World highway.

I'm comfortable with dry camping, so I tend to seek out no-cost/low-cost campsites Not unlike the one I have here in Alaska where I get a lakeside spot with power and water at no charge camped at a childhood friend's place.

Feel free to e-mail off-line for any details or questions I can provide a cost spreadsheet that shows all my stops and real costs for the 2014 trip.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 24, 2016 11:24PM
jdc
Meh, they seem like a waste. The whole point of RVIng is the "honey, can you make me a sandwich and grab me a coke" while cruising down the highway while the kids are in the back playing Uno...

Maybe for you. but many of us have no interest in any such thing and don't want to be saddled with a moving our home away from home every time we want to go anywhere. Besides, who wants to drive a monstrosity that is slow, ungainly, swills gasoline and is near impossible to park? I think a small travel trailer towed by a small SUV is ideal.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2016 11:25PM by davester.
Posted by: Z
Date: July 25, 2016 02:15AM
Bob - gimme a shout if you're headed thru ANC!

Z
Date: July 25, 2016 09:33AM
Z
Bob - gimme a shout if you're headed thru ANC!

Z

I'm on the Kenai, camped in a friend's backyard in Soldotna, my childhood home. Been up there and thru Los Anchorage a couple of times this summer. Came back down the Dalton on Saturday via the ferry from Valdez to Whittier to bypass the fire.
Date: July 25, 2016 02:04PM
davester
jdc

Maybe for you. but many of us have no interest in any such thing and don't want to be saddled with a moving our home away from home every time we want to go anywhere. Besides, who wants to drive a monstrosity that is slow, ungainly, swills gasoline and is near impossible to park? I think a small travel trailer towed by a small SUV is ideal.

I'm afraid you would be wrong. Ideal is a motorized RV pulling a small vehicle. Pulling a trailer is a drag, especially when there are more than two people.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 25, 2016 03:06PM
......yes, ask......To Wong Foo.....Thanks for Everything......Julie Newmar....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: TLB
Date: July 25, 2016 03:42PM
My brother has a 25-27' travel trailer with pop outs. Her parks it at the beach about 90 minutes from his home and goes there 2-3 weekends a month from May to October. He has a truck and could tow it, but there current one has never left his lot. His previous trailer was parked on the same lot but he took it out on trips 4-5 times. He prefers the mobile "cabin" at the beach.

For me, an item on my bucket list is to build my own teardrop trailer and use it to circle the CONUS, but I don't know if my spouse shares that dream.
Date: July 25, 2016 03:52PM
Speedy
davester
jdc

I'm afraid you would be wrong. Ideal is a motorized RV pulling a small vehicle. Pulling a trailer is a drag, especially when there are more than two people.

I think you're the one who is wrong here. One size, model or configuration doesn't answer everyone's wants and needs. If it did we'd all be using the same OS, the same editors and web browsers, driving the same cars of identical color and all be dating or married to the same person.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 29, 2016 10:56AM
Speedy
davester
jdc

How can I be wrong when I agree that an RV may be OK for jdc but a small trailer and SUV is OK for me? I don't think that pulling a small trailer is a drag and I sure don't like driving big trucks. Different strokes for different folks. There is no right or wrong answer.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020