advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Why is the iOS so stupid???
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 25, 2016 07:28PM
I know I've posted about this before. It just never ceases to amaze me. Why is it that when i click a link in my email to show me my Amazon order, the iOS opens Safari and tries to go to Amazon. Instead of just opening the @#$%& Amazon APP that I have on my phone??? Worse still is when I finish playing one game, I click a link to play another game. Does the iOS actually OPEN that other game? No. It opens the app store, where I can then click open and it will open the game that I already have installed on my phone. Drives me crazy.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why is the iOS so stupid???
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 25, 2016 07:33PM
bazookaman
I know I've posted about this before. It just never ceases to amaze me. Why is it that when i click a link in my email to show me my Amazon order, the iOS opens Safari and tries to go to Amazon. Instead of just opening the @#$%& Amazon APP that I have on my phone??? Worse still is when I finish playing one game, I click a link to play another game. Does the iOS actually OPEN that other game? No. It opens the app store, where I can then click open and it will open the game that I already have installed on my phone. Drives me crazy.

Just tried that with an Amazon order email on my iPhone; tapped the "View or manage order" button in the email, and it DID launch the Amazon app, NOT Safari.
YMMV.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2016 07:34PM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: fauch
Date: July 25, 2016 07:40PM
Very annoying as well on Facebook Messenger. When someone sends you a FB link, it tries to open in SAFARI (which of course is not logged in) instead of just opening the app. If iOS doesn't recognize it is a FB link, surely MESSENGER should...

There really needs to be a better API for this, and if there IS one they need to get the word out.... Or in general be able to set "open with" for different types of links (like you have been able to on a web browser for like 20 years)
Date: July 25, 2016 07:45PM
DeusxMac
bazookaman

Just tried that with an Amazon order email on my iPhone; tapped the "View or manage order" button in the email, and it DID launch the Amazon app, NOT Safari.
YMMV.

Heh. Does that make it better or worse?

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 25, 2016 07:50PM
bazookaman
DeusxMac
bazookaman

YMMV.

Isn't that what you're asking it to do? Did I miss something?
Date: July 25, 2016 07:52PM
DeusxMac
bazookaman
DeusxMac
bazookaman

YMMV.

Well sure. But I'm not asking it to do it on your phone.

Posted by: billb
Date: July 25, 2016 08:02PM
bazookaman
DeusxMac
bazookaman
DeusxMac
bazookaman

YMMV.

Well sure. But I'm not asking it to do it on your phone.
you two guys probably should be comparing the content of your links

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 25, 2016 08:07PM
bazookaman
I know I've posted about this before. It just never ceases to amaze me. Why is it that when i click a link in my email to show me my Amazon order, the iOS opens Safari and tries to go to Amazon. Instead of just opening the @#$%& Amazon APP that I have on my phone???

Click-and-hold a link and you will be presented with both options.

It is what it is.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 25, 2016 08:10PM
Why do you get arrow keys on the iPhone keyboard but not on the iPad keyboard? That makes absolutely NO sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2016 08:11PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 25, 2016 08:16PM
I still like my iPhone and will buy another but my Android tablet usually asks what I want to open a link with and will ask "just once" or "always".

Grateful11
Date: July 25, 2016 08:33PM
N-OS X-tasy!
bazookaman
I know I've posted about this before. It just never ceases to amaze me. Why is it that when i click a link in my email to show me my Amazon order, the iOS opens Safari and tries to go to Amazon. Instead of just opening the @#$%& Amazon APP that I have on my phone???

Click-and-hold a link and you will be presented with both options.

If I click and hold on the image link, I get Save Image, Share, and Cancel. If I click and hold on the actual order number text link, I get Open, Share, Copy, and Cancel. No option to open in the Amazon app.

Date: July 25, 2016 08:34PM
Grateful11
I still like my iPhone and will buy another but my Android tablet usually asks what I want to open a link with and will ask "just once" or "always".

I totally agree. I much prefer the iOS over Android. But some stupid little things like this just bug me to no end.

Posted by: jdc
Date: July 25, 2016 09:07PM
Is it an iOS bug or the amazon app thats a bug?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: July 25, 2016 11:41PM
bazookaman

What version of iOS are you running?

Apple introduced deep-linking in iOS 9 to accomplish exactly that:
[www.slashgear.com]

However, the app / website also have to be written to implement the API.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 26, 2016 12:49AM
bazookaman
Why is the iOS so stupid???

No one knows. It's a mystery.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: July 26, 2016 01:05AM
I wish iOS would allow users to specify their own default apps, but I'm not holding my breath.

It took 32 years, but the hammer thrower and Big Brother have traded places.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 26, 2016 08:50AM
Ask Siri?
Posted by: chopper
Date: July 26, 2016 12:35PM
did you try Ram Doubler or Conflict Catcher?
Date: July 26, 2016 01:20PM
chopper
did you try Ram Doubler or Conflict Catcher?

No. But I did restart hold down the shift key.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 26, 2016 03:12PM
Bimwad
I wish iOS would allow users to specify their own default apps, but I'm not holding my breath.

It took 32 years, but the hammer thrower and Big Brother have traded places.

Perhaps, but maybe they are now equal.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 405
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020