advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone "afeared" of buying a vehicle with 274,000 miles on it?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 27, 2016 11:15AM
Looking into buying a vehicle in good shape that has roughly 274,000 miles on it. It will be for unpaved/off road travel to somewhat rugged parts of the wilderness in the West. I would use it for my photo excursions. Ground clearance and cargo space are needed. The miles come from a bunch of driving in Wyoming where nothing is close by, not even the next town.

I know some things will need to changed out. I would probably put another 100k miles on it over the next 5-7 years. What things should I expect?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone "afeared" of buying a vehicle with 274,000 miles on it?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 27, 2016 11:22AM
pRICE,

I wouldn't go near it, especially if you plan to use it for unpaved/off road travel to somewhat rugged parts of the wilderness in the West. Way too much mileage and the amount of money you'd likely need to put into it for proper refurbishing probably isn't cost effective. I say this without knowing the year, make or model because my answer would be the same when taking those factors into consideration.

Robert
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 27, 2016 11:26AM
My only fear would be that under the offered conditions you allude too, something giving way from fatigue. That could leave you very stranded in the middle of nowhere.

What vehicle, engine, transmission, suspension... To make a real assessment we need to know if you are talking a old Russian Uaz (near indestructible) or a Fiat Panda (destroyed during manufacturing)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: July 27, 2016 11:31AM
Make and model would be helpful. Toyota truck, if the price was right.
One of the big three, no way would I depend on it in offroad conditions.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: July 27, 2016 11:32AM
Do they have a repair record available to look through? It would give you an idea of what to expect based on what's been done already to the car.

What year is the car? My 89 Chevy made it to 250,000 when I junked it in a couple of years ago but I wouldn't expect a newer model car to last that long.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Include the cost of one of these in with your purchase:

[smile.amazon.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: space-time
2015, Japanese, with all maintenance up to date, manual transmission and good clutch? Yes

1995 US with poor maintenance records, kept in burning Sun and driven in Salty Snow, with auto transmission? No.
Date: July 27, 2016 11:33AM
I hope this doesn't become a SUV argument thread. I am looking at a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban. It is big enough to haul equipment in and sleep in. It won't be super wilderness off roading. Mostly national parks and areas where roads are not maintained and muddy etc.. This would be allow me more flexibility than using an RV but reduces the need to haul a tent along.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2016 11:33AM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 27, 2016 11:38AM
I would approach with caution, but not revulsion...
If you have it checked out, and it seems to have had good maintenance and been generally well cared for, put some money into it for things that "should" have been done every 50,000-100,000 miles and assume they're due.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 27, 2016 11:48AM
I've seen Suburbans with over 500K miles on them that were in great shape. It's all about the maintenance. Do a CAREFUL review of the mechanicals.
Posted by: billb
Date: July 27, 2016 11:49AM
Duramax or 6L maybe if it was babied, cheap but I would be really nervous going too far off the beaten path . As durable and nice as they are for towing, 300,000 miles is close to major-overhaul, come-get-me vehicle. ( not saying it won't get to 450,000 uneventfully either, but face it you're gambling ) I would want a good GM mechanic to do an assessment, and give you a list of spare parts to keep on board. ( belts, fuel pump, etc. )

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 27, 2016 12:00PM
....won't the top collapse with that many miles.....on top of it.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: July 27, 2016 12:13PM
billb
Duramax or 6L maybe if it was babied, cheap but I would be really nervous going too far off the beaten path . As durable and nice as they are for towing, 300,000 miles is close to major-overhaul, come-get-me vehicle. ( not saying it won't get to 450,000 uneventfully either, but face it you're gambling ) I would want a good GM mechanic to do an assessment, and give you a list of spare parts to keep on board. ( belts, fuel pump, etc. )

Timing belt was just changed. Any guesstimate on how much an overhaul of the engine would be?

I guess I could find a lower mile Suburban but it would need to become a daily driver as well. Was thinking this could be a lower cost adventure vehicle and errand runner for large cargo loads.

Posted by: SteveO
Date: July 27, 2016 12:21PM
I've heard good things about those GM SUVs and my dad had a '97ish Yukon that was rock solid but ditto the others on a thorough checkout before buying. Second the carrying parts aboard idea - I did this for my book tour in '02-'03 and it gave me great peace of mind in the '76 Buick Estate Wagon I was driving...man that thing was a boat but smooth as buttah! (And packing an alternator is never a bad idea!)

If you go with high miles, I'd also get that gizmo posted above! You might get more quality / less repairs and better mpg out of an old Honda Passport / Isuzu Rodeo. But anything with 200k+ and you are rolling the dice in a big way as you know. Good luck and happy photographing to you!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 27, 2016 12:28PM
In retrospect.. there's nothing wrong with hitching a dirt bike to the back of it as an emergency escape vehicle.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 27, 2016 12:37PM
Baby Buzz recently bought an old MBZ 300D turbodiesel w/nearly 290K miles on it. Mrs. Buzz and I did everything we could to dissuade him, but those millennials seem to know it all, so our recommendations were ignored. Some vehicles last longer and better than others; cannot stress enough to get it checked out by a truly competent mechanic first.
==
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 27, 2016 01:27PM
Go for it! Sounds like it has only highway miles. Do a Carfax.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: billb
Date: July 27, 2016 02:02PM
pRICE cUBE
billb

Timing belt was just changed. Any guesstimate on how much an overhaul of the engine would be?

I guess I could find a lower mile Suburban but it would need to become a daily driver as well. Was thinking this could be a lower cost adventure vehicle and errand runner for large cargo loads.

a crated swap is as much as $6,500 - that's no shop labor to swap it out.
You might find an engine from a wreck for 1.5/2K
You might find a wreck for $500 and dump the wreck. You or your mechanic won't be the only ones looking.
It will be stuff wearing out at inopportune times that wears on you if you let it.
No different than any old beater or house - you need a emergency fund to dip into and hope you never have to.
People drive beaters all the time.To save money or because they have no other choice.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Z
Date: July 27, 2016 02:17PM
Have a mechanic check out the engine as others noted above.

To make sure you don't end up TU in the middle of nowhere:
Plan to redo the suspension (shocks/struts as well as the bushings), engine mounts, transmission mount(s) (would guesstimate $400-700 in parts plus time). Full fluid / filter change. Go through all the electrical grounds on the vehicle to keep electric gremlins to a minimum. May have to replace or re-solder various relays and bits to ensure future reliability. A bit of time with electrical contact cleaner and the various electrical switches may be required. Might need an AC charge / replacement of worn bits, if that's a thing you desire.

It's a Suburban that you're looking at (not clear from your comments above)? What vintage?

I bought a '90 Volvo 245 with 223k mi on it in 2005 and fixed up all the major systems for a move to Alaska from Iowa towing a large trailer. Some vehicles are longer lasting than others but most can last a long time if properly cared for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2016 04:37PM by Z.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 27, 2016 02:21PM
I've driven Suburbans of roughly that age but generally lower miles on many off road geologic field excursions in the west while teaching geology field classes and conducting research. I must say that even those low mileage examples were frequently in the shop, so that would give me pause in buying a high mileage one. On the other hand, our Mercedes ML320 has 260,000 miles on it, I have literally beat the ~$@#@! out of it, and it still feels like a new car (and my mechanic tells me that the 320 series engine can easily go to 500k miles.

Also, I question the wisdom of taking such a large vehicle off road. Suburbans are a PITA on some of the narrow twisty mountainous off-road tracks in the west. Bigger is definitely not better when you are off-roading. Off-roading pretty much always means that at some point you will get stuck somewhere and will need to jack, dig, muscle and/or winch your vehicle out. When the vehicle has 8 geology students and their gear in it to do the digging this is a big chore. Without those geology students it would be vastly more difficult. How much equipment do you really need to carry? I would suggest a smaller more nimble vehicle.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2016 02:21PM by davester.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: July 27, 2016 02:34PM
Here's a list of Suburban TSB's by year [www.chevroletproblems.com]

I have an 04 with many small issues but the 07 isn't far behind in TSB's. Surprisingly the newer models look better but that could probably will change with time.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 27, 2016 02:35PM
Is that the first year of the newer body style or the last year of the old one? 5.3L or 6.0L? I'd imagine it is an auto, I don't think there are many manual 1500 series Suburbans.

I'd be hesitant at 275k miles unless it was really cheap. If it is the 5.3L transmissions and engines can be replaced under $1k each with used parts yard motors with 1 year warranties. They are really straight forward to work on. They use them for crew transports for the railroad and as limos and they routinely get 350k to 500k out of them. Hopefully that is under $6k.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 27, 2016 02:40PM
pRICE cUBE
billb

It should have a timing chain not a belt. Did the owner say it had a belt?

Grateful11
Posted by: Pat
Date: July 27, 2016 03:02PM
davester

Also, I question the wisdom of taking such a large vehicle off road. Suburbans are a PITA on some of the narrow twisty mountainous off-road tracks in the west. Bigger is definitely not better when you are off-roading. Off-roading pretty much always means that at some point you will get stuck somewhere and will need to jack, dig, muscle and/or winch your vehicle out. When the vehicle has 8 geology students and their gear in it to do the digging this is a big chore. Without those geology students it would be vastly more difficult. How much equipment do you really need to carry? I would suggest a smaller more nimble vehicle.

I need to start carrying geology students to help with the digging.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 27, 2016 03:08PM
I got my 2007 Suburban essentially free, yet it is the only vehicle I've ever considered leaving in a bad part of town with the keys inside.

The big issue (unless already fixed) is that while cruising at highway speed the fuel-saving cylinder de-activation mode results in ridiculous oil consumption (on mine it was nearly 1 quart per 500 miles).

Not only do you have to re-program the chip to turn that "feature" off, a new re-designed valve cover is also part of the fix (there's a lengthy TSB, but no recall).

Not fixing the above will eventually result in piston damage or even engine replacement ($6500+).

Apart from the above, the trim is so flimsy it feels like it will break if you look at it wrong, e.g. I've already had to replace 3 of the 4 exterior plastic door handles (even given our mild climate.)

Now the last one is broken (I'll probably replace all 4 with aftermarket metal handles, at $300/pair).

All this on a vehicle with under 65,000 miles.

I'd also want skid plates (not standard) if you are taking it off-road.

It is nice & big, which is the primary reason I've still got it.

pRICE cUBE
I hope this doesn't become a SUV argument thread. I am looking at a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban. It is big enough to haul equipment in and sleep in. It won't be super wilderness off roading. Mostly national parks and areas where roads are not maintained and muddy etc.. This would be allow me more flexibility than using an RV but reduces the need to haul a tent along.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2016 03:13PM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 27, 2016 04:06PM
Why don't you buy something older that's easier and cheaper to fix. Something with a carburetor, even.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 27, 2016 04:56PM
Based on my experience using an older Mitsubishi Montero in way off-road locations in Costa Rica, I would heartily recommend looking at those. Many of them are come with locking differentials and are far superior to Suburbans for offroad work IMHO. They are also tall and have very large carrying capacity for a vehicle much more compact than a Suburban. Easier on the gas too.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 27, 2016 05:16PM

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: fauch
Date: July 27, 2016 06:53PM
Posted by: max
Date: July 27, 2016 10:08PM
Bill in NC
I got my 2007 Suburban essentially free, yet it is the only vehicle I've ever considered leaving in a bad part of town with the keys inside.

The big issue (unless already fixed) is that while cruising at highway speed the fuel-saving cylinder de-activation mode results in ridiculous oil consumption (on mine it was nearly 1 quart per 500 miles).

Not only do you have to re-program the chip to turn that "feature" off, a new re-designed valve cover is also part of the fix (there's a lengthy TSB, but no recall).

Not fixing the above will eventually result in piston damage or even engine replacement ($6500+).

Apart from the above, the trim is so flimsy it feels like it will break if you look at it wrong, e.g. I've already had to replace 3 of the 4 exterior plastic door handles (even given our mild climate.)

Now the last one is broken (I'll probably replace all 4 with aftermarket metal handles, at $300/pair).

All this on a vehicle with under 65,000 miles.

I'd also want skid plates (not standard) if you are taking it off-road.

It is nice & big, which is the primary reason I've still got it.

pRICE cUBE

I have a 2007 with about 200,000 on it.
The one before pulled 325,000 before I let it go.
As Bill noted, trim is dreck, dashboard is a pile of plastic junk, and display panel went out at 175,000, oil deal is same here. I had a differential go at 95,000, BUT the transmission and the engine are still going strong, unlike the one before, which needed to be exchanged every 100,000.
But it is pretty decent vehicle overall, with that king of mileage you need to figure at about$3000 a year in upkeep and repairs.....
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 27, 2016 10:39PM
Are you back on that idea of buying a Subhuman and using it to sleep in?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Z
Date: July 28, 2016 01:56AM
4Runner or a Land Cruiser?
Date: July 30, 2016 10:39AM
Grateful11
pRICE cUBE
billb

It should have a timing chain not a belt. Did the owner say it had a belt?

Sorry, it is a chain.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020