advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Thread for admitting something silly you didn't know about until you were an adult
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 28, 2016 02:24PM
I was 30 years old when it I realized Raspberry is spelled with the letter P because I honestly thought it was Rasberry.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Thread for admitting something silly you didn't know about until you were an adult
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 28, 2016 02:31PM
That some things are too embarrassing to disclose.
Re: Thread for admitting something silly you didn't know about until you were an adult
Posted by: DP
Date: July 28, 2016 02:40PM
Actually, turkeys are very strong fliers! They prefer to run from threats but will fly if necessary. They fly up into trees for the night and fly back down in the morning.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 28, 2016 02:46PM
DP
Actually, turkeys are very strong fliers! They prefer to run from threats but will fly if necessary. They fly up into trees for the night and fly back down in the morning.

Wild turkeys, yes. The stock commercially bread and raised to put the most meat on your dinner table, not so much.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 28, 2016 02:49PM
In my mid-twenties, my girlfriend cracked up when I pronounced "Givenchy" the way it's spelled facepalm (I did ok with Yves Saint Laurent). I'm actually glad she taught me the correct pronunciation.
Posted by: 3d
Date: July 28, 2016 02:49PM
Although they have a football team, New England is neither a city nor a state facepalm

**Edit**
Also the correct usage of neither/nor and either/or facepalm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2016 02:53PM by 3d.
Posted by: Don C
Date: July 28, 2016 02:54PM
I hate to tell you how old I was when I found out that Howdy Doody was a puppet! I know that I saw the strings when I was a kid, but I just never paid attention to them.

It was YEARS after the Santa Claus disclosure.
Posted by: billb
Date: July 28, 2016 02:54PM
testcase
In my mid-twenties, my girlfriend cracked up when I pronounced "Givenchy" the way it's spelled facepalm (I did ok with Yves Saint Laurent). I'm actually glad she taught me the correct pronunciation.

you should hear how some people butcher salmon

funny story: I once had a truck driver from Texas making a delivery make the lament that 6 months prior to his current delivery to this area he had tried chorizo in a restaurant local and finding some to bring home was on his bucket list if he ever made it up this way again. He had visited several stores and couldn't find any.. No one could help him. Which I thought was odd because it's right there next to the linguica in every store I've been in around here. Until it dawned on me he was using the local Acorean Portuguese pronunciation which drops the 'oh' at the end to something so faint you don't hear it and with his Texas accent no one knew what the hell he was looking for. Once I wrote the word chourico down and explained the difference between portuguese chourico and mexican chorizo and the fact that around here they don't pronounce the two words the same like they do everywhere else in the world ( except apparently the Acores ) he was all set . He was headed back to the grocery store and then back home once we got out stuff out of the back of his truck.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2016 03:20PM by billb.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 28, 2016 02:57PM
I was mocked ferociously for pronouncing many St. Louis area place names in the correct Francais instead of the localized pronunciation.

Courtois River is apparently pronounced "Cotoway".

Eventually I learned that a name belongs to the 'owner' (or local) , and is pronounced the way the owner prefers.
Posted by: Z
Date: July 28, 2016 03:13PM
cbelt3
I was mocked ferociously for pronouncing many St. Louis area place names in the correct Francais instead of the localized pronunciation.

Courtois River is apparently pronounced "Cotoway".

Eventually I learned that a name belongs to the 'owner' (or local) , and is pronounced the way the owner prefers.

cbelt - we just do it behind your back now. ;)

I come from de-moins!

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 28, 2016 03:14PM
billb
you should hear how some people butcher salmon

Seriously…

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 28, 2016 03:25PM
Oh.. and I learned the other week that teachers in urban school districts keep score on the craziest way that people spell first names. I sat enthralled while four teachers updated their 'weirdest spelling' lists. I mean... some of these names don't pronounce in any language, including phoe-net-eeks.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: July 28, 2016 03:33PM
I had no idea Frankie Goes to Hollywood was singing about gay cruising (well, sex in general, but the video very explicitly shows cruising). "Relax" is so much more entertaining now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2016 03:38PM by silvarios.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 28, 2016 04:57PM
I was a profoundly ignorant young person, teenager, and young adult so to list the myriad everyday things I didn't figure out until my twenties would take the rest of the week.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 28, 2016 05:45PM
When I was a kid, whenever I read something about a Dashound, I thought it was pronounced Dash-Hound. I thought Dachshund (Dox-Und) was a whole 'nuther breed.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 28, 2016 06:48PM
I stiffed several pizza and food delivery drivers because until later in my college life, I honestly did not know it was customary to tip them. It never occurred to me to tip any more than you would tip someone working behind the counter at McDonald's.

TV commercials when I was a very young kid... "Save $xx on such-and-such" always baffled me. I wondered how you could save money when you were spending money to buy that such-and-such instead of actually putting it in a savings account.

Also, sponsors announced as "Brought to you by xxx" confused the heck out of me because it sounded like an entirely different word, "brock" to you. I couldn't figure out what "brock" meant.

At one point in my childhood, sometime before my teens, I thought pubic hair was "public" hair because I misread it and it stuck in my mind. I wondered why that hair which was so private was called "public" hair but fortunately did not embarrass myself by asking that out loud.

testcase

I'm a lot older than mid-twenties and I have no idea how pronounce Givenchy.

Posted by: mrlynn
Date: July 28, 2016 06:58PM
Reading mispronunciations are common. When I was a kid I amused my parents by pointing to a rushing stream and calling it a "ragging torrent." And then there was "super-flewis."

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 28, 2016 07:10PM
Back in the days of TV Guide, I often wondered why so many stations carried that "To Be Announced" show. Sure must have been popular.
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 28, 2016 07:11PM
Back in the days of (the small) TV Guide, I often wondered why so many stations carried that "To Be Announced" show. Sure must have been popular.

Hey, my very first ever duplicate post! That's what I get for not waiting for the first post to actually post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2016 07:17PM by wurm.
Posted by: Cary
Date: July 28, 2016 09:21PM
When I was a kid, I used to see signs for the Long Island Expressway and Cross Island Parkway, and read the word as is-land, not i-land.

Never mind how I thought Kosciuszko Bridge should be pronounced.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2016 09:24PM by Cary.
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: July 28, 2016 09:31PM
I was a youngster when the movie Planet of the Apes came out. It was also the time of the Vietnam war. Well when I saw a headline about "Armed Guerillas Take Over Town" I got scared and said oh no, it's starting! Lol
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: July 28, 2016 09:38PM
I was so dumb I used to think that a Manilla folder was a Filipino contortionist.

And that an innuendo was some form of Italian Preparation H....

(badum, bum!)

fly

Thank you very much. I'll be here at the Phorum all week, ....tell your friends.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 28, 2016 11:03PM
Rick-o
When I was a kid, whenever I read something about a Dashound, I thought it was pronounced Dash-Hound. I thought Dachshund (Dox-Und) was a whole 'nuther breed.

I didn't realize this until you posted it. I thought it was 2 different breed of dogs.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 29, 2016 02:56AM
My first week at college, I went to see a play of "Waiting for Godot." I fully expected Godot to show up before it ended.
Posted by: blooz
Date: July 29, 2016 07:35AM
My parents came from Slovakia and theirs was the first English i heard as a child, so I may never learn the correct pronunciations of many words.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 29, 2016 07:57AM
Dennis S
My first week at college, I went to see a play of "Waiting for Godot." I fully expected Godot to show up before it ended.

SPOILER!! nono smiley
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 29, 2016 07:03PM
I think this sort of counts. When I was 12 years old, I went to make my first call from a pay phone. I put my money in an was surprised to discover that it was a dime. Because of the old movies I had seen on TV, I assumed it was nickel. Luckily, I had another nickel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2016 07:06PM by Steve G..
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 30, 2016 12:49AM
Are misheard lyrics part of this, because I have lots...
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 30, 2016 11:59AM
"Excuse me, while I kiss this guy"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020