advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Manhole Cover with Built-in Cleanout?
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: July 28, 2016 07:55PM
This is doubtless a longshot here, as I don't know if anyone makes anything like this, but I know there are some plumbing experts on this Forum.

We have a holding tank for household sewage (installed in place of a septic tank, which was deemed too close to a neighbor's well—which well was installed long after the original septic system, but that's another story). In the holding tank are a couple of electric pumps that pump effluent up to the town sewer, maybe 100 yards.

The tank has a traditional cast-iron manhole cover. I need to look in now and then to make sure our 20-year-old pumps are working (there is a control panel in the basement, so if a pump fails a light should go on to indicate a problem, but I don't trust it). However, the cover is too heavy for me to lift enough to see inside. So I'm wondering if anyone makes a cover with a smaller, clean-out size hole and cover embedded in it. I've looked online, but don't see one.

While this is a valid concern, I do have an ulterior motive. I'd like to be able to dump my new camper's black tank into the holding tank occasionally. Many people do this with septic tanks, and I don't see any problem, though there might be objections if I asked the town. If there were an above-ground cleanout, I could use that, but there isn't one; the line from the basement Christmas tree to the holding tank is about 20' long and maybe 3' underground.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Manhole Cover with Built-in Cleanout?
Posted by: billb
Date: July 28, 2016 08:13PM
fiberglass or composite

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 28, 2016 08:13PM
Make your own out of 3/8" steel plate. Cut out a piece for a port and hinge it, maybe flange the edge so your riding mower doesn't push the port down.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: July 28, 2016 09:46PM
I was going to suggest the custom fab route like Speedy but you could also take the existing cover to a fabricator and have them add the center port.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 28, 2016 11:14PM
Jack D.
I was going to suggest the custom fab route like Speedy but you could also take the existing cover to a fabricator and have them add the center port.

It is pretty tough to work with cast iron other than melting it down and starting again. It doesn't take well to being welded.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: July 29, 2016 06:36AM
mrlynn
However, the cover is too heavy for me to lift enough to see inside.

You can use a bit of extra equipment to do the heavy lifting.
If a long enough lever and appropriately placed fulcrum isn't sufficient, a portable tripod arrangement and a hoist or other mechanically assisted lift would work.

If it were me, I'd use a high-lift jack, some chain, and a couple of additional legs, i.e. a couple of 2x4's bolted to the top of the jack. This month I've been uprooting small-ish trash trees that have been getting out of control along our pasture fences with this arrangement (but with custom built metal legs).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2016 06:38AM by TheTominator.
Re: Manhole Cover......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 29, 2016 07:57AM
.....this stuff writes itself.........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 29, 2016 09:29AM
TheTominator
mrlynn

If a long enough lever and appropriately placed fulcrum isn't sufficient, a portable tripod arrangement and a hoist or other mechanically assisted lift would work.

If it were me, I'd use a high-lift jack, some chain, and a couple of additional legs, i.e. a couple of 2x4's bolted to the top of the jack. This month I've been uprooting small-ish trash trees that have been getting out of control along our pasture fences with this arrangement (but with custom built metal legs).

I'd like to see a photo of that set-up
Re: Manhole Cover......
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 29, 2016 10:09AM
NewtonMP2100
.....this stuff writes itself.........

smiley-music039

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: July 29, 2016 10:26AM
mrbigstuff
TheTominator
mrlynn

As would I.

/Mr Lynn
Date: July 29, 2016 10:39AM
mrbigstuff
TheTominator
mrlynn

I haven't taken a photo of mine yet, but this youtube video (and quite a few similar ones for bush/small tree pulling) gives you the general idea.

The addition of the Hi-Lift ORK (off road kit) is useful for the collar that slips over and attaches to the lifting nose. It has a secure place un the underside of the collar to attach a chain (included with the kit).

Note that I only use that type of rig for trees larger than 3" at the base. Anything smaller I pull out more simply using a handy tree pulling tool which consists of a lever with jaws at the bottom. There are few types on the market. I use and like the Pullerbear.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2016 10:54AM by TheTominator.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: July 29, 2016 01:15PM
Have a shop rig something up. Basically a manhole cover inside a manhole cover. Call it a fairyhole cover for you sh*tfairies. Use magnets to keep it well stuckified.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2016 03:20PM by Mike Johnson.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: July 30, 2016 02:56AM
I love this thread. Lot of cool thoughts about something I don't really understand. It's why I keep coming back. Sorry I have nothing to add of any merit to the actual conversation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2016 03:09AM by silvarios.
Date: July 30, 2016 06:36AM
Compared to using a Hi-Lift jack, a less-expensive, lighter, and easier to manage system for lifting a single object with good clearance above and around all sides would be a tripod with a block and tackle.

Make or buy a sufficiently sturdy tripod and use something like a rope pulley block and tackle.

The one pictured above ($15 at Amazon) weighs less than 5 lbs and is rated to lift 2 tons.
Posted by: billb
Date: July 30, 2016 08:26AM
Do you guys that are suggesting lifting devices realize this is likely in his front or side yard in soft dirt and lawn ?

That lifting and moving a 90 pound iron cover with 50 pound or more lifting tools really isn't much of a solution ?
Leaving them in place likely isn't feasable either.

Make a cover out of 3/4 inch plywood and roll a rock on it to keep little kids out.
It's not code but that shouldn't be an issue until you go to sell the house.

There are composite covers out there because when the price of iron went up and degenerates were stealing them some were replaced with composites. I never saw one in a street though.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: July 31, 2016 09:02AM
Many thanks for the interesting ideas. I like The Tominator's farm-jack and block-and-tackle suggestions, but billb has a point about soft ground and relatively complex setup. I like the idea of a lightweight, composite cover. A quick search finds a company that makes one with a small central port:

[www.fibrelite.com]

See the FL-600-CD. I sent them an inquiry.

/Mr Lynn
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 78
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020