advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Induction hot plate
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 14, 2016 04:23PM
I just picked up one these for $39. It's an 1800 watt model, the highest wattage model you can get for a 15 amp circuit. You can get commercial models with a higher wattage rating that require a 20 amp circuit, they don't cost anywhere near $39.

OMG but does it get things hot in a hurry, it's truly insane. It's also controllable unlike a coil electric range. In fact, it almost behaves like a gas stove. Turn the power level down, and the heat instantly goes down.

Just try one...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Induction hot plate
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 14, 2016 04:51PM
Just make sure you have induction compatible pans.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 14, 2016 04:56PM
You see these on cooking shows where they have to use impromptu cooking stations. Like Cutthroat Kitchen.

Pretty slick.
Posted by: josntme
Date: August 14, 2016 05:17PM
just gave one to my daughter who sold their home and are living in their motorhome as nomads. Sure does cut down on the heat used to cook things. Also, it automatically cuts itself off if you are trying to use the wrong cookware.
Posted by: qdog2
Date: August 14, 2016 05:18PM
I like the NuWave Pro. It lets you control the temperature in 5 degree increments. That makes it almost compatible with my gas stove.

Portsmouth, Va
Posted by: billb
Date: August 14, 2016 07:00PM
meth lab ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 14, 2016 09:23PM
Read something online about a guy who remodeled the kitchen, leaving out the range or stove. "I never need 4 burners at once ..." was the thinking, so why waste the space? He has 3 of these and only brings out what he needs.

"Hobs," they're called. Why?

He had an IKEA model not sold in the U.S.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 14, 2016 10:27PM
deckeda

Not sold in U.S. because EU mostly uses 230 V.

hob, n.2

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: fauch
Date: August 15, 2016 04:48AM
Reminds me of the time when I "overclocked" my electric burner that just didn't get hot enough. BAD idea...
Posted by: qdog2
Date: August 15, 2016 06:37AM
I found them to heat water faster than a microwave and since I started using them my gas bill has come down. I don't spend a lot of time waiting for food to heat up which uses less power and being able to set it to turn off automatically after it is done is a plus.

Portsmouth, Va
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 15, 2016 08:12AM
Filliam H. Muffman
deckeda

hob, n.2

IKEA sells other appliances here ... but they are more of a "Kenmore," not a manufacturer per se. My guess is that they don't see the U.S. market as being large enough to warrant a 110v version be spec'd for them. That, and there might not be any U.S. made induction hobs. I think the IKEA stuff sold here is made by Whirlpool for them; certainly not the case for whatever they sell in Europe. Thanks for making me think about this some more.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 15, 2016 08:19AM
I wanted to get a gas stove, but I would have had to have a plumber run the propane line to the kitchen. I needed a new stove so I got an induction model.

Now I do not want a gas stove. The induction is great. It has a "turbo" setting that boils water fast. Temperature control is precise and change is instant.

I like to cook sous-vide occasionally, but I like my meat a bit rarer than the rest of the family. With the induction set at minimum, it maintains a water bath at 128 degrees, which is just right for my steak. The rest of the steaks get 135 or so with the Anova circulator.

The only negative was that my All-Clad LTD collection that I had accumulated over the past 25-30 years was not compatible.
Date: August 15, 2016 08:39AM
freeradical
I just picked up one these for $39. It's an 1800 watt model, the highest wattage model you can get for a 15 amp circuit. You can get commercial models with a higher wattage rating that require a 20 amp circuit, they don't cost anywhere near $39.

OMG but does it get things hot in a hurry, it's truly insane. It's also controllable unlike a coil electric range. In fact, it almost behaves like a gas stove. Turn the power level down, and the heat instantly goes down.

Just try one...

An 1800 watt standalone coil should be faster than a 1000watt stove top coil or a 1000 watt microwave.
Almost twice as fast.

A microwave usually loses in a contest with a electric coil with good coil to pan contact because of the conversion loss to microwaves despite 100% of the microwaves being used to heat the water.

You'll sue the least energy with the tabletop coil if there is very little air in the top of your kettle and you are heating no reserve of extra water.

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2016 08:42AM by billb.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 15, 2016 08:54AM
deckeda
Filliam H. Muffman
deckeda

hob, n.2

IKEA sells other appliances here ... but they are more of a "Kenmore," not a manufacturer per se. My guess is that they don't see the U.S. market as being large enough to warrant a 110v version be spec'd for them. That, and there might not be any U.S. made induction hobs. I think the IKEA stuff sold here is made by Whirlpool for them; certainly not the case for whatever they sell in Europe. Thanks for making me think about this some more.

The 'egg is frequently pushing their semi-house brand (Rosewill). I think it's been close to $40, currently $55. [www.newegg.com] Most recently $45 according to Camel - [camelcamelcamel.com]

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 15, 2016 11:47AM
....what about a deduction hot plate.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 15, 2016 11:54AM
NewtonMP2100
....what about a deduction hot plate.....??

talk to your accountant first

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: TLB
Date: August 15, 2016 12:16PM
freeradical

Just try one...

Brand? Store?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 15, 2016 01:35PM
TLB
freeradical

Just try one...

Brand? Store?

Gourmia from Amazon, but I don't really think it matters. I'd bet that the guts for all of these things come from the same factory, and the manufacturers simply slap their different names on the product.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 15, 2016 03:40PM
Lux Interior
The only negative was that my All-Clad LTD collection that I had accumulated over the past 25-30 years was not compatible.

or spend $20 on an induction diffuser. Just sits between your all-clad and the cooktop - it gets hot and heats up your cookware. Not perfect, but good for the cookware that isn't used regularly.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: pipiens
Date: August 16, 2016 02:04PM
There is a lot of induction equipment here:
[theinductionsite.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 69
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020