advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What's that clunking sound in the dryer?
Posted by: DavidS
Date: November 25, 2006 06:42AM
It was my wife's 6 month old pink RAZR phone, still in the pocket of her jeans. It also went through the washer.

So, last night at 9:30pm, I'm off to Best Buy to get some type of temporary pay-as-you-go phone for her. (fortunately they were open late for Black Friday). She has an 8am flight this morning to go see her grandparents, who are both pretty ill so she needs a cell phone to stay in touch with us and the rest of her family. I was able to pick up a Cingular GoPhone for $20 (no rebate).

While her RAZR seems hosed, fortunately the SIM card survived and was recognized when I popped it in the new phone, so she is still able to use our joint account and not the limited GoPhone features.

However, anyone have any ideas on getting her a new Pink RAZR? When I bought that for her in May, we redid the contracts, so we are not up for renewal. I'm positive Cingular is going to say that water damage is not covered in the warranty. I did not buy the extended warranty option that does cover it.

I'm hoping I paid for the new phones with AMEX and that their warranty extension service will cover replacement. Otherwise, I guess I'll be searching eBay for a decent deal.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What's that clunking sound in the dryer?
Posted by: spearmint
Date: November 25, 2006 07:03AM
Yikes!
Posted by: iaJim
Date: November 25, 2006 07:26AM
Aren't lots of these phone warranties good for almost everything? Breakage included?

If not, but the next one at Costco!
Posted by: DavidS
Date: November 25, 2006 08:05AM
iaJim
Aren't lots of these phone warranties good for almost everything? Breakage included?

If not, but the next one at Costco!

I'm not sure about breakage, but I am positive water damage is not covered.

I called Cingular and it would be $181 for a new phone. Prices vary on eBay. Looking for used but good condition (as her was).
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: November 25, 2006 08:16AM
[www.amazon.com]

[www.etronics.com]

[www.zoomcell.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2006 08:26AM by lafinfil.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: November 25, 2006 08:30AM
Darn, I just saw a Ad on TV in my area last night and somebody has RAZR for $49 and get one free. Radio Shack maybe? I didn't pay attention to the Place, but was thinking prices have dropped on that Hot Phone of the moment.

I'll post back if I see it again.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: November 25, 2006 08:33AM
eBay
Posted by: davester
Date: November 25, 2006 09:39AM
Ebay or craigslist are your only real choices unless you want to pay $150+ for a new phone. I've bought quite a few ebay phones to replace lost and stolen phones in our family. Make sure you get the right version for your service (CGM for Cingular).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: h'
Date: November 25, 2006 11:56AM
What Davester said. Although you're not going to pay that much less on eBay for a phone in it's prime of popularity than for new . . .
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 25, 2006 01:21PM
You may have a few more options here. [www.howardforums.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 190
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020