Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
NG line for stove and dryer
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 02, 2016 06:13PM
another NG question:

someone told me that you should replace that flexible NG line each time you move the stove or dryer. Is that true? I had guys come over to clean the dryer vents, and they moved the dryer about 3ft out and put it back, but didn't replace the Natural Gas line. I also moved the stove out a few times to clean and didn't replace the flexible natural gas line. Was I supposed to?

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: NG line for stove and dryer
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: September 02, 2016 07:05PM
MEH!!!

As long as they didn't subject the line to any hard bends when they did it it should be ok. I move a bunch of dryers and stoves with flex gas lines on them and they aren't having any issues..i always plan the move first and try to set up flex so it doesn't get all %^#$%ed up.

Course..you probably didn't see them manhandle that situation...you may never know..mystery will haunt you..get some sleeping pills, pal, it's gonna roost hard on your very being.
Posted by: billb
Date: September 02, 2016 07:26PM
got a match ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 03, 2016 08:40AM
That is BS. Think about it. Why use a flex line in the first place if it is only a onetime product. That is like toilet paper. Do you think for one minute that building codes would allow that? Those flex pipes were meant to allow for cleaning and repairs, and mis-alignments due to construction constraints.

space-time
another NG question:

someone told me that you should replace that flexible NG line each time you move the stove or dryer. Is that true? I had guys come over to clean the dryer vents, and they moved the dryer about 3ft out and put it back, but didn't replace the Natural Gas line. I also moved the stove out a few times to clean and didn't replace the flexible natural gas line. Was I supposed to?

Thanks

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2016 08:42AM by modelamac.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 03, 2016 09:33AM
That advice sounds like a misremembered piece of advice related to a particular type of flex line. This particular gas flex line was all metal, and after a few years of moving around and aging tended to develop surface fatigue cracks that would eventually extend deep enough to leak. It was discontinued years ago, but occasionally may be run into in an older house that still has gas appliances that have not been changed. When this type of flex line was still in use, it was to be replaced after a move if it was more than a few years old.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 03, 2016 09:47AM
JoeH
That advice sounds like a misremembered piece of advice related to a particular type of flex line. This particular gas flex line was all metal, and after a few years of moving around and aging tended to develop surface fatigue cracks that would eventually extend deep enough to leak. It was discontinued years ago, but occasionally may be run into in an older house that still has gas appliances that have not been changed. When this type of flex line was still in use, it was to be replaced after a move if it was more than a few years old.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. House is about 28 year old, appliances about half that. I guess they used new lines when they installed appliances in 2002.
Posted by: billb
Date: September 03, 2016 10:21AM
iirc, code mandates replacement of the flex line anytime either end has been disconnected.

I don't think it is in code beyond maybe a comment but consumer flexible gas lines really aren't designed for repeated flexing.

A local code may require a licensed contractor to replace a line as a matter of course.

If you are moving an appliance often it is probably wise to turn the gas off before flexing a flex pipe in case an end pops or at least know where the shutoff is and have a tool to help turn the valve if you can not do it by hand.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 03, 2016 11:50AM
billb
iirc, code mandates replacement of the flex line anytime either end has been disconnected.

I don't think it is in code beyond maybe a comment but consumer flexible gas lines really aren't designed for repeated flexing.

A local code may require a licensed contractor to replace a line as a matter of course.

If you are moving an appliance often it is probably wise to turn the gas off before flexing a flex pipe in case an end pops or at least know where the shutoff is and have a tool to help turn the valve if you can not do it by hand.

I've replaced flex gas lines only when they've been disconnected. They always seem to leak when reconnected. Just not worth the risk.

As an aside - after reading about some of the issues with the installed in place flex pipe that is common for plumbing NG in homes these days, I'm glad I have good old black pipe gas lines.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 03, 2016 01:00PM
My sole point reference is a flex gas line that cracked when I moved the stove out to fix it(gas off) and happily leaked when the gas was turned on and the stove moved back.

Mrs . Cbelt3 ran outside with the children and our dog and THEN called the fire department. And then called me.

And that's why we don't have a gas stove any more.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 06, 2016 10:23AM
Space,

Definitely not the first time I've heard that from both plumbers and insurance providers. One of my neighbors moved the stove in his apartment and it did in fact skew the flexible line. Fortunately, he noticed the issue immediately and replaced the line very quickly. Still, it was pretty scary for him.

The line that got skewed was fairly new and was what was included with the stove at the time of purchase. Apparently, it is common for the manufacturers to include crappytacular flexible pipe with their products. Most of the ones from place like Home Depot ain't much better.

As some point, I'll have to move the gas range and dryer in my apartment. When that time comes, I'll replace the flexible pipe connecting them to the gas line in our apartment. The replacements flexible pipe will definitely be higher quality models.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020