The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What is the best Mac OS version?
Posted by: pinion
Date: September 11, 2016 08:06PM
Poll
Best OS? (Preferably for a 2011 MBP)
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
50 votes were received.
Sierra 1

2%
El Capitan 4

8%
Yosemite 0

0%
Mavericks 16

32%
Mountain Lion 2

4%
Lion 0

0%
Snow Leopard 22

44%
Earlier (See response below) 5

10%

After reading a great article today from ars about OS 9 I was wondering what everyone thought about the most solid and feature rich OSX version there is
Said article

I went back on this poll to Snow Leopard because after that they went to yearly releases and I know some people have strong feelings about that. I'm going to format my early 2011 MBP to that release and run it for awhile to see how it feels.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What is the best Mac OS version?
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: September 11, 2016 08:34PM
I use SL for a few weeks until I found out I needed Mavericks to use GB X. Still have an unused SL disc. Current mini came with Yosemite, seems slow even with 16 gb ram.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 11, 2016 08:43PM
The only thing missing from Snow Leopard, IMHO, was the ability to adjust window size from any edge.
Posted by: SurfMacJpMtb
Date: September 11, 2016 08:51PM

Long time Mac user

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2016 08:39AM by SurfMacJpMtb.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 11, 2016 09:13PM
"best" is open to much interpretation.

Snow Leopard is the most stable and the most attractive version of OS X.

Maverick is the most stable of the more current versions.

El Capitan has great features but is the least stable OS that I have used in a long time.

Any list like this is going to be somewhat subjective. In the end I voted for Maverick. I recently had need to run a version of OS X in a virtual machine to do a very specific job and after thinking I chose Maverick. Very stable and runs most modern software.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else
[colquhoun.info]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2016 09:14PM by davemchine.
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 11, 2016 09:55PM
I'm curious about the votes for "Earlier" than Snowleopard, since nothing earlier can run on a 2011 MBP. Even trying to install 10.6 on a 2011 MBP can be problematic unless you have the install disks that it shipped with, and they all didn't ship with 10.6, some shipped with 10.7.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: September 11, 2016 10:10PM
Snow Leopard recognized most every video format and gave you a thumbnail. That disappeared with the next system, Lion. Lots of apps were lost.

Rosetta no longer exists in Lion or later. Even if you pull the installer off of a Snow Leopard disk, it still won't work. Rosetta relies on other PPC hooks in the OS to work, and Apple removed all PPC code from the OS in Lion.

Snow Leopard is the best of both worlds.

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2016 10:11PM by Bernie.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 11, 2016 10:14PM
No question that 10.6 'worked' the best, but I can understand what SurfMacJpMtb is saying - some of the new wizbang gizmos added since 10.7 are pretty nice. The only problem with 10.11 is that there are too many flaws.

I spent the least amount of time fixing little broken things and telling myself that minor inexplicable annoyances didn't really bother me (when they really did) when I was using 10.6.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 11, 2016 10:35PM
When Apple puts modern processors in its Macs and otherwise catches up to the standards of 2016/2017 hardware, Sierra might actually be pretty good.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 11, 2016 11:09PM
Depends on the era but for the most stable my choices might run something like this:

OS 6.0.8

OS 8.6

OS 10.9
Posted by: davester
Date: September 11, 2016 11:18PM
I've thought about moving beyond Mavericks for the sole purpose of using Photos, which seems like it might be a step up from iPhotos. However, the virtually unusable, acetic and cryptic Ives interface stops me. Can we just fire that guy and go back to a user-friendly interface please.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 12, 2016 12:10AM
I wasn't going to move from iPhoto to Photos until Apple allowed pictures to be grouped together manually. I get that Photos uses Moments instead of Events and I'm ok with that except that I can't manually group photos into one Moment but must rely on Photos to do it correctly. Despite that I am considering the move to Photos as the new content analysis is supposed to be excellent and that would be useful.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: billb
Date: September 12, 2016 12:22AM
System 6, 8.6,
OSX 10.6,

I've found Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan nice enough.
Gems and warts with all.

But for a 2011 MBP you sure have a bunch of choices.
Any with security update support. :-)
The latest if the software you depend on plays nice.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2016 11:52AM by billb.
Posted by: ADent
Date: September 12, 2016 12:41AM
Mavericks was OK.

El Capitan is stable for me, but Mail is WAY SLOW.

I would stay with 10.6.8 if it got security updates.
Posted by: tlh828
Date: September 12, 2016 05:46AM
Snow Leopard has a great Fax Modem feature which makes it a must have in my office. Otherwise, I'm good with El Cap and will upgrade to Sierra, no issues except the washed out, Jonathan Ive inspired text,
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 12, 2016 05:50AM
The poll does not ask which OS I am using, but which I think is the best. These are two different horses.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 12, 2016 06:41AM
....it is a crap shoot [ 'cause they are all...... ].........Apple needs to have OS keep up with their machines....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 12, 2016 06:42AM
XP

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 12, 2016 06:51AM
10.4 had the absolute best system search function and had classic support. Pretty good OS.

10.6 is very stable and I still use it for my home media center. But it's long in the tooth, and I would not use it for going in the wild on unknown LANs. I use it in emulation mode too.

10.9.5 seemed to be a very clean OS - I regret updating one of my machines off it. Apple Mail was particularly functional.

EC is clearly a transition OS, so I'm not worrying about it. I assume Siera without the new file format will be even better.

Sierra with the promised encrypted file format should speed up a lot of computers that use file vault now.

If I were starting from scratch now, just use EC if all of the programs you need are supported.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 12, 2016 08:56AM
My favorites: System 7.1, OS 8.6, OS 10.4, OS 10.6, and not a favorite but acceptable, OS 10.9.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: September 12, 2016 11:41AM
The next one. Always, the next one. LOL

richorlin
Posted by: rz
Date: September 12, 2016 11:59AM
ka jowct
My favorites: System 7.1, OS 8.6, OS 10.4, OS 10.6, and not a favorite but acceptable, OS 10.9.

I pretty much agree with this. I voted SL above, although I'm using Mavericks now. Another favorite for me was 10.2, but mainly because it was the first usable version of OS X.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 12, 2016 12:13PM
rz
ka jowct

I pretty much agree with this. I voted SL above, although I'm using Mavericks now. Another favorite for me was 10.2, but mainly because it was the first usable version of OS X.

Yes. Jaguar was sluggish but the memory management in OS X weaned me off OS 9 pretty quickly.
Posted by: pinion
Date: September 12, 2016 08:25PM
Thanks everyone. I know it didn't win but I'm leaning towards going back to Mavericks for awhile. I remember that one running fairly well. And sorry to the person who said they don't know why anything prior to SL was on here since my MBP doesn't support it. My bad

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 12, 2016 10:38PM
sekker
10.4 had the absolute best system search function and had classic support. Pretty good OS.

Did you mean 10.3 (Panther)? 10.4 was when Spotlight was first introduced and in my experience had many bugs making it unreliable in finding anything compared to the finder's file system search functions in Panther.

pinion
And sorry to the person who said they don't know why anything prior to SL was on here since my MBP doesn't support it. My bad

I was more curious about why it got 5 votes, not that it was on the list.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 12, 2016 10:52PM
As I recall, 10.4 did have Spotlight, but you could still bring up the more traditional search function. Did not stay on 10.5 long enough to recall how searching was under that. But Spotlight was better by 106.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 13, 2016 10:28AM
Spotlight in 10.4 could search within PDF documents and Mail far better than even the current EC Spotlight. I ran a series of tests from 10.4 to 10.5 to 10.6 a few years ago.

Not saying it was perfect, but 10.4's search was pretty cool.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020