advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to go about buying dental insurance that's not insurance-lite?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 17, 2016 06:28PM
I've never really considered it until now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to go about buying dental insurance that's not insurance-lite?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 17, 2016 06:31PM
Can you be more specific?

Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 17, 2016 06:32PM
Dental insurance doesn't really seem to be like regular insurance with regards to the premiums.
Date: September 17, 2016 07:03PM
mattkime
Can you be more specific?

Well, I'm 66 and never had anything major wrong with my teeth. I've had several minor things done. I hear stories about people spending tens of thousands on implants, crowns, root canals, etc. I would like to see if there are options to pay a set amount per month that would cover major procedures. I don't have the option of getting it through work. I see lots of offers but they're basically just discounts through certain providers. I'm not considering that.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 17, 2016 07:08PM
freeradical is right. Outside of an employer group situation, it's very difficult to find dental "insurance" that doesn't just trade paying the dentist for paying the insurance company instead. That's because (again, outside of an employer group situation) people only get dental "insurance" if they intend to use it.

You can occasionally find coverage that makes sense... for a while, until the insurance company realizes their actuarial error.

Date: September 17, 2016 07:12PM
I'm on Humana for my Medicare Part D and they offered something but I lost all the material and haven't checked with them to see the details. I wonder if that's worth pursuing.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 17, 2016 07:18PM
[www.deltadental.com]

I'm also 66. We get an employer plan through my wife's job. The above page possibly, depending on your state, has a plan through AARP which might fit your current needs.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 18, 2016 09:03AM
My dad is a dentist. When I started working, I asked him which dental insurance companies/plan I should pick. "It doesn't matter," he told me. "They're all terrible."
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 18, 2016 09:48AM
How do you think insurance works? Its intended to cover unexpected and uncontrolled losses. Otherwise the buyers can game the system which drives up prices or sends insurers out of business.

Health insurance in this country has distorted the idea of insurance. Its really a way for employers to cover medical costs.

Posted by: Michael
Date: September 18, 2016 11:58AM
Our dental insurance covers 2 cleanings/xrays per year and then covers half of other procedures up to a modest amount (maybe $1500 per year???). The cost of 2 cleanings amounts to approximately what the insurance costs per year so we get the insurance. Obviously there are many people who don't have the 2 cleanings per year else the insurance costs would be substantially higher. I looked for better insurance a couple of years ago and I came to the same conclusion that Will Collier's dad had--they are all terrible if you have any sort of major problems.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 18, 2016 01:50PM
same here, about $100/month for family coverage via employer.

coverage includes two cleanings annually, pays 80% for restorations, 50% for other.

this year for me it covered a couple of replacement restorations at 80%.

one went bad several months later, so it paid 50% of the $2000 that the root canal plus crown cost.

I am probably just barely under the $1500 annual limit.

Michael
Our dental insurance covers 2 cleanings/xrays per year and then covers half of other procedures up to a modest amount (maybe $1500 per year???). The cost of 2 cleanings amounts to approximately what the insurance costs per year so we get the insurance. Obviously there are many people who don't have the 2 cleanings per year else the insurance costs would be substantially higher. I looked for better insurance a couple of years ago and I came to the same conclusion that Will Collier's dad had--they are all terrible if you have any sort of major problems.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 18, 2016 10:37PM
2 cleanings, yearly x rays and 50% is pretty standard. I was licensed in Washington State to sell health insurance up until about a year ago. They are all about the same. Sometimes in a specific situation, you can come out ahead with some policies.

If you plan ahead, knowing that in a year or two, kids need braces, then you can do well with some policies.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 81
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020