advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hacked?!....Yahoo confirms data breach.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 22, 2016 03:16PM
....at least 500m users....in 2014....

At Least 500 Million Yahoo Accounts Hacked in Late 2014

....Yahoo today confirmed that "at least" 500 million Yahoo accounts were compromised in an attack in late 2014, leaking customer information like names, email addresses, telephone numbers, birthdates, hashed passwords, and both encrypted and unencrypted security questions and answers.

Yahoo does not believe unprotected passwords, payment card data, or bank account information was accessed, as that data is not stored in the system that was hacked. According to Yahoo, account information was stolen by a "state-sponsored actor" and the company is working with law enforcement on a full investigation.

Starting today, Yahoo will notify all affected users and is asking them to change their passwords immediately if passwords have not been changed since 2014. All compromised security questions and answers have also been invalidated. Yahoo has laid out a set of recommendations for all customers who might have had data stolen:

-Change your password and security questions and answers for any other accounts on which you used the same or similar information used for your Yahoo account.
- Review your accounts for suspicious activity.
- Be cautious of any unsolicited communications that ask for your personal information or refer you to a web page asking for personal information.
- Avoid clicking on links or downloading attachments from suspicious emails.
- Additionally, please consider using Yahoo Account Key, a simple authentication tool that eliminates the need to use a password altogether.

Yahoo first said it was investigating a data breach earlier this summer after hackers started selling account access online. The full scope of the attack was not revealed until today and could potentially affect Yahoo's sale to Verizon.

another hack....and another old hack.......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2016 03:21PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hacked?!....Yahoo confirms data breach.....
Posted by: DP
Date: September 22, 2016 04:33PM
Heard that last night. I change all my passwords on a regular basis. How is it just coming out now?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: rz
Date: September 22, 2016 05:26PM
I saw this and decided to login to my yahoo account. It appears I hadn't logged in for over a year. I had about 100 messages, all spam... most of it from Yahoo themselves. It's one of my "throwaway" accounts.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: September 22, 2016 05:53PM
I also use Yahoo as a "throwaway" address. When do these companies become accountable to us, their customers, when they have a problem?

If you think about it, they haven't said a word about this while some of us were hacked and possibly financially compromised during this time. Do large corporations have such little regard for their customers that they wouldn't tell us? Yes, I think it's come to that. It's all about the stock price and loyalty to investors but damn the people that use the service and allow them to stay in business!

My, how things have changed.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 22, 2016 06:01PM
What kind of yahoos are running that company?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: space-time
Date: September 22, 2016 06:18PM
I am surprised they had 500 million accounts.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: September 22, 2016 08:28PM
Jack D.
If you think about it, they haven't said a word about this while some of us were hacked and possibly financially compromised during this time.

While I agree in principle, the article did say that they only discovered the breach "earlier this summer," and that could be as recently as a few weeks ago, or (more likely, in my opinion) 2 - 3 months ago.

I am sure that there is some "forensic" work that has to be done, and they obviously don't want to announce that 1,000,000 accounts were hacked, and passwords stolen, if it turns out that it was only 500,000, and that passwords were not breached. You get my point...they surely have to proceed cautiously, and I'm sure their legal teams were involved.

I agree, though, that the sooner they can alert individuals who might be affected, the better.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: riley5108
Date: September 23, 2016 06:00AM
Changed my password this morning and deleted the security questions as suggested by Yahoo. Seldom use that account and most of the entered security information is false anyway.

What's with their knowing since 2014, I mean 2 years? Sounds to me like probably any damage or use of your information has already happened.
Posted by: billb
Date: September 23, 2016 07:37AM
riley5108

What's with their knowing since 2014, I mean 2 years? Sounds to me like probably any damage or use of your information has already happened.

They found just recently that it happened two years ago.
There was no secrecy or intentional deception.

Our politicians hoist that deplorable petard.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: wurm
Date: September 23, 2016 12:35PM
So, if they already have all that stuff and if I haven't logged onto Yahoo for many years (I haven't), is there really any point in signing in there just to change things? Seems it would be much wiser to change info on any other sites that I might have used the same password as I did on Yahoo.
Posted by: decay
Date: September 23, 2016 11:16PM
speaking of Yahoo and hacking...
[www.yahoo.com]

The FBI has uncovered evidence that foreign hackers penetrated two state election databases in recent weeks, prompting the bureau to warn election officials across the country to take new steps to enhance the security of their computer systems, according to federal and state law enforcement officials.

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 309
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020