advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Looking for Tripod Recommendations
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 26, 2016 06:10PM
I am looking for some recommendations for basic camera tripods to use for purchase recommendations at the library where I work. These would be student use doing video projects for some of their classes. They also sometimes get used by faculty and staff. Most have minimal experience with camera equipment.

A bit of background, about 7-8 years ago the library decided to lend out basic camcorder equipment at the request of faculty so students could do video projects. At that time they had heavier Mini-DV camcorders, so the tripods purchased were Slik 504QF II models. Those have held up well, but are a bit on the heavy side. I may recommend purchase of more of these anyways, a more recent batch of $75 tripods with a lot of plastic components have mostly been broken. The tripods do not need to support as much weight, mostly they are used with Canon Vixia camcorders.

But, if any of you have suggestions that would fall in between that $75 amount and the ~$125 that the Slik tripods would cost, that would be appreciated. I would be looking for sturdy construction and ease of use by new users of this kind of device. Given how poorly the newer tripods have done, they might even listen to my suggestion for replacements.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Looking for Tripod Recommendations
Posted by: billb
Date: September 26, 2016 06:15PM
tripod and heads ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: September 26, 2016 06:24PM
Yes, tripod with a basic pan-tilt head.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 26, 2016 06:47PM
The more bells and whistles, the more people will mess it up. Try to find something that fulfills all your needs but not beyond that or inexperienced people may break it or loosen something you didn't think was loose resulting in a kaboom.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: archipirata
Date: September 26, 2016 06:48PM
9 Best Tripods Under $100 in 2016

[www.shoponless.com]

The Ravelli looks like it might meet your needs. I don't have firsthand experience with it however. I have been using Benro tripods with Induro heads for a while now and am very pleased with them but they won't fit the price range you need. One thing I would suggest staying away from the cheaper lines on Manfrotto products as in recent years they have just been slapping the name on cheap crappy tripods.

Athens, OH
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 26, 2016 09:24PM
......his name is Thor.......and yes, his nickname is Tripod....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 26, 2016 09:52PM
archipirata
[www.shoponless.com]

These are still photo tripods and heads and not appropriate for video. The tripod part can be the same, but you need a different head for video.
Posted by: Inactive
Date: September 26, 2016 10:05PM
I'm pretty happy with the MeFoto Roadtrip.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: September 27, 2016 03:47AM
Have you looked at the B&H website?

[www.bhphotovideo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2016 03:49AM by Lizabeth.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 27, 2016 04:35AM
For video use, do not get a ball head or pistol grip.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 27, 2016 08:22AM
For static video shots, you don't really need a true video head which can save a lot of money. But if you are going to want to film while tilting or panning then you definitely want a video head, which is designed for smooth operation while moving the camera.

That said I have had good experience with the Slik Pro 500DX - [www.bhphotovideo.com]
with tilt/pan head for $129.

Not the greatest head action, but very good build quality. Certainly good enough to get started.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 27, 2016 08:42AM
Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: September 27, 2016 09:52AM
Knew a dog once who lost one of his legs. They called him Tripod.

Posted by: bruceko
Date: September 27, 2016 01:57PM
If you plan on doing a lot of pan and tilt make sure to get a Fluid head. It smooth's out the motion. No jerkiness when pan and tilting.
I am not sure if all pan and tilt heads are fluid heads.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 27, 2016 02:31PM
bruceko
If you plan on doing a lot of pan and tilt make sure to get a Fluid head. It smooth's out the motion. No jerkiness when pan and tilting.
I am not sure if all pan and tilt heads are fluid heads.

The expensive ones are. You can get cheaper ones from Manfrotto and others that simulate the feel, but are not quite as good if you compare at the long end of a zoom lens. I would venture to say that a real fluid head is even more important these days with the declining mass of the typical video camera.
Date: September 27, 2016 06:09PM
Lizabeth
Have you looked at the B&H website?

[www.bhphotovideo.com]

Yes, but the type of tripod I would get for myself is a bit different from what I am looking for to recommend be bought at work for students to borrow. They do happen to have the contract currently for this type of purchase.

My thanks for the suggestions so far, I may come up with some alternatives to suggest be bought by using them. I have already put in my suggestion that no more of this tripod be purchased- [www.bhphotovideo.com]. While an okay tripod if treated right, they and the same tripod branded as a Pearstone VT2100 just do not stand up to any abuse. Too much plastic used in stress parts.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 27, 2016 06:43PM

Careful choosing large ones
Date: September 27, 2016 08:04PM
Steve G.

Careful choosing large ones

Those are definitely a bit larger than we need!! But they would simplify high shots.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 28, 2016 02:20PM
.....'Boogie Nights'......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: billb
Date: September 29, 2016 07:05PM
are 3pod any good ?
[www.adorama.com]

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: September 29, 2016 11:23PM
I don't know about the rest of the models on that page, but this one - [www.adorama.com] - is the third brand I have seen that tripod sold under. First as Pearstone, second as Magnus, and now Takama.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020