advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Power Co. has Nest 3rd gen for $149...
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: October 06, 2016 01:59PM
...and as much as I don't like goog (they bought Nest), I'm about to get this one. I also just read a thermostat review, and this new Nest was number 1. What y'all say?

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Power Co. has Nest 3rd gen for $149...
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 06, 2016 02:07PM
Do they also have Ecobee as an option?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: October 06, 2016 02:17PM
I like ours. Was thinking of getting a second one for the upstairs playroom.

Date: October 06, 2016 02:33PM
F. H., they gave Ecobee for $89.50. You like it better?

Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 06, 2016 02:51PM
I like it fine, but make sure it will work with your furnace first.
Ecobee Compatibility Checker

This thread convinced me that Ecobee had what I wanted over the Nest.
[forums.macresource.com]

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2016 02:52PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: J Marston
Date: October 06, 2016 03:15PM
I have two Nest thermostats (first gen), installed three years ago--before they were absorbed into Google. They have worked flawlessly, and annual energy savings, which I've tracked, have averaged 29%. The Ecobee may be just as good, but I can't speak to that. The Nest has been great.
Date: October 06, 2016 04:24PM
Yeah, Filliam, I posted on that thread saying I would not get a Nest since goog bought them out. I'm a year older now, and my resistance has weakened with age old fogey smiley

Wait, you save 29% a year?!! Whew, that'll weaken me right on down alright.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2016 04:25PM by GuyGene.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 06, 2016 04:44PM
I just installed an EcoBee with 3 external sensors, I love it. I can't speak of Nest, but I did read some negative reviews that made me buy Ecobee instead.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 06, 2016 05:00PM
space-time
I just installed an EcoBee with 3 external sensors, I love it. I can't speak of Nest, but I did read some negative reviews that made me buy Ecobee instead.

Same here.
Posted by: stephen
Date: October 06, 2016 09:04PM
Got a 2nd gen Nest from my boss for Christmas a couple of years ago and it has saved me money at my weekend condo.
Posted by: parsaplenty
Date: October 06, 2016 09:52PM
Ecobee here with 5 remote sensors. Great stat and very flexible. Can't speak to the Nest. I read that early ones gave problems with some Heat Pumps if I recall due to how they got the power from the HVAC system. If your stat happens to be in a not so convenient location, then an Ecobee is the way to go since you can eliminate the actual stat from reporting and designate a remote sensor to act as the stat or combine the average of multiple sensors to act as the stat. And you can have different sensors report during different comfort settings. Endless options.
Posted by: August West
Date: October 07, 2016 11:34AM
Hopefully someone can answer this for me, I have a honeywell programmable thermostat, how would a nest or ecobee provide me with additional savings over my already programmed schedule? Thanks,

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Date: October 07, 2016 01:19PM
Mine is also a programmable Honeywell, so confusing, I just use it manually. That's why I want one of these money saving kind.

This is from a startpage.com (uses goog algorithm, but private. I hope.) search:

If energy savings is your top priority, the Nest 3rd Generation is a smart choice. The latest and most advanced edition of Nest, this thermostat learns your heating and cooling habits, and adapts automatically to save you money while keeping you comfortable. It’s the best WiFi thermostat out there. Period.

From this place:

[www.thermostastic.com]

They also give Ecobee great rating saying if you have a big house it's better. Our house not so big. I need to get one of these soon!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2016 03:00PM by GuyGene.
Date: October 07, 2016 04:19PM
Ok, after doing more research, I decided on the Ecobee, it has HomeKit thingamajig with it. Got it for $149. Saved $100 because of power company deal.

Thanks for all your help here!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020